By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo overchallenged with HD development?

Do you think they are overchallenged

Yes. 57 37.01%

No. 40 25.97%

A little bit. 40 25.97%

Results. 17 11.04%

Total:154
curl-6 said:
Ljink96 said:

Yes, and it's really their own fault. While everyone else was doing HD development and cutting their teeth on PS3 and 360, Nintendo was still doing SD on Wii. They were killing it, but at a cost. I think that's why they're using Unreal now vs. using their own proprietary engines. You're not going to tell me that the new Mario game isn't running on Unreal either, I can see the signature "unreal" rendering techniques being used in the footage.

Do you have any sources for Nintendo using Unreal Engine rather than in-house technology now? 

No, I don't have sources. I have been learning Unreal lately and the way the sky is rendered in Unreal is very VERY close to that in the Mario switch reveal trailer. The Swith will also support Unreal 4 if it is (which it is) an X1 or X2 chip .I could be wrong, but numerous gamers also belive the Mario game is running on unreal. I know Zelda isn't running on unreal so I'm for now making an educated guess that the Mario game is running on unreal. A while back Nintendo was also hiring positions that had unreal knowledge/experience as a "must have" in your skillset. I guess time will tell. 

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
curl-6 said:

Do you have any sources for Nintendo using Unreal Engine rather than in-house technology now? 

No, I don't have sources. I have been learning Unreal lately and the way the sky is rendered in Unreal is very VERY close to that in the Mario switch reveal trailer. The Swith will also support Unreal 4 if it is (which it is) an X1 or X2 chip .I could be wrong, but numerous gamers also belive the Mario game is running on unreal. I know Zelda isn't running on unreal so I'm for now making an educated guess that the Mario game is running on unreal. A while back Nintendo was also hiring positions that had unreal knowledge/experience as a "must have" in your skillset. I guess time will tell. 

Will be interesting to see how this turns out. Nintendo have traditionally used proprietary technology, but that's becoming less common in the industry these days, in the age of high quality and affordable middleware.

omgfk said:
Teeqoz said:
We still don't know the launch lineup so I think it's too early to make a claim like that.

yeah its just based on the rumors. But rumors were very, very, accurate in the past if we consider the eurogamer NX leak or Ps4 Neo leaks. I think its hard to keep secrets these days.

For every correct rumor, there were 20 that were waaaaay off.

Never go off of rumors, no matter the source.  The only people that truly know are Nintendo themselves right now.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Probably. And when you look at the NES CE, it's becoming even more apparent just how right Nintendo has been about the graphics war. It's stupid and pointless. Sure, there was a time when it mattered. Back in the day when these companies released consoles that blew their last console away and weren't just slight upgrades, you needed to really blow peoples minds visually. But now? It's just bullshit.

Good games>Tara flops.

omgfk said:
KLAMarine said:
BotW is getting a WiiU release so Nintendo's support is not over yet and if Kimishima's word is to be trusted, Nintendo's been working on making sure the Switch has a good launch so... We shall see.

a game that was promised to be released in 2015. 

It was promised but after the disaster that Wii U was it was pushed back for sure to ensure it comesout simultaniously on Switch so that it could have something in the launch window that is great.  So at that point development slowed down.

Around the Network

They do seem a bit slow, but that doesn't mean they can't make games look good

Definitely are improving though

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

pray4mojo said:

Probably. And when you look at the NES CE, it's becoming even more apparent just how right Nintendo has been about the graphics war. It's stupid and pointless. Sure, there was a time when it mattered. Back in the day when these companies released consoles that blew their last console away and weren't just slight upgrades, you needed to really blow peoples minds visually. But now? It's just bullshit.

Good games>Tara flops.

So much this.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

We can definitely say they were, that much was clear before they even released the Wii U with a bunch of launch window games getting delayed and the general lack of games. Are they still challenged now? Probably but can't really say yet. The lack of Wii U games lately can just be attributed to it's sales faliure, and the Switch launch line-up you're talking about is only rumors that I believe also said that wasn't the full game list. Just wait until the 12th!

Nintendo is "over-challenged" by basically every aspect of the modern game market, lol.

Doesn't mean they don't make some terrific games, but virtually anything modern seems to be a monumental undertaking for them. They can't even figure out a unified account system for the Wii U and 3DS. They can't figure out how to market to modern audiences. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's just Nintendo being Nintendo, it's like trying to explain to your grandparents how to set up a Facebook account. 

They admitted themselves they were struggling to adapt to HD 3 years ago..... I'm sure they will have overcome those hurdles and they now have plenty of game engines to work with on sequels. BOTW, DKTF Xenoblade MK all can read use there old engines. Also they will be plenty of games on launch stop paying attention to rumours and wait till January