By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo doesn't need to make new IP's, they need to manage their current ones

Ali_16x said:
onionberry said:

Nintendo has more ips than anybody lol, they need to use them asap.

Lol what are you smoking? Sony has more IPs. Hell I think even Microsoft has more IPs than Nintendo.

I doubt that is true, I'll get a calculator and look into it.

1+1+1+1... back in a sec.

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
onionberry said:

Lol what are you smoking? Sony has more IPs. Hell I think even Microsoft has more IPs than Nintendo.

I'm sure you've looked at the number of IPs each company has before making this post.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Ali_16x said:

I'm sure you've looked at the number of IPs each company has before making this post.

I've done a quick count for Sony and Nintendo and he may be right on that front at least.

Sony Worldwide Studios - 72 IP's

Nintendo - 39 IP's

I sincerely doubt the combined force of my brain and Wikipedia have missed that many Nintendo IP's....

Though that is only counting Super Mario, Mario Kart and Mario Party for all Mario games... so 39 definitely isn't total if you count them.

Barkley said:
AZWification said:

I've done a quick count for Sony and Nintendo and he may be right on that front at least.

Sony Worldwide Studios - 72 IP's

Nintendo - 39 IP's

I sincerely doubt the combined force of my brain and Wikipedia have missed that many Nintendo IP's....

Though that is only counting Super Mario, Mario Kart and Mario Party for all Mario games... so 39 definitely isn't total if you count them.

I've searched on Wikipedia and I've counted 34 IPs on this page and is still missing some like Sin & Punishment, Eternal Darkness, Excitebike, Ballon Fight, StarTropics, WaveRace, Battle Clash, Fossil Fighters, Ice Climbers and others. But yeah, they have less than Sony.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

No, Nintendo need new IPs which are tailored around the gameplay experience they want to deliver (Splatoon).

Just because you own an IP doesn't it has potential to smash in the current climate or that it interests their developers from a gameplay one. I do think they under utilise a few such as Golden Sun and Advance Wars but most are dead for good reason.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
SegataSanshiro said:

They don't own Art of Balance. That is Shin'en. Nintendo has like 90+ IPs so yeahthey can't manage them all but a few newer ones or revive lesser known or dorment ones can help them as well.

if that's the case, Shin'en should get it together and make another game :P

They're just porting Art of Balance to ps4 atm...

After that they'll probably (and hopefully imo) port Fast Racing Neo to Switch and/or PS4. It's such a great game but I would like it if I could play it on something other than the WiiU.

Nope I want Nintendo to make new IP's like Sony did. They have killed off plenty of mascots for the sake of diversity. If Naughty Dog never stopped with Jak and Daxter we would never have had a TLOU or the Uncharted games. I like new IP's although they can revive some for NX like F-Zero. But I would like ro see Nintendo produce more different IP's for the Switch.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Nintendo could reinvent the "Excite" brand and turn it into something like Blur. I was thinking more Excite Trucks but it could work with bikes too I guess.

Blur was such a great game!

hershel_layton said:
onionberry said:

(Snip)

if they ever went full out on software only, they could make so many games. Imagine if they finally gave us a higher variety of IP's? it'd easily solve drought issues

If throb went third party, likely the opposite would happen: Goodbye to anything except Pokémon, Mario, and Zelda. That's what's happened with most other publishers, by design. They've deliberately dumped everything but their most popular brands.  

The question is not about how many they have, the question is how many of them fit current gamer's tastes. You know, those that can actually sell hardware...

Besides Splatoon, Nintendo hasn't really created a core game... a game that can appeal to MS and Sony fans.
That's the problem with Nintendo's current catalog: they lack the diversity or range of today's gaming genres.