By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo doesn't need to make new IP's, they need to manage their current ones

Nintendo needs a GTA-like game.

Around the Network

I think the bigger problem lies in Nintendo not being willing to let other companies handle their IPs, in the vein of Retro Studios or Rare (and I guess Intelligent, though all they really do is RPGs). There's simply no way that a single developer, even one with as many resources as Nintendo, can consistently create games for two dozen different IPs. Right now, it's a story of opportunity cost more than anything. Something like a 2D Metroid or a Mother title would be incredibly cheap and almost certainly turn a profit, but spending development time on that means ignoring creating a title for something else that would be more profitable.

Find some medium sized developers like Platinum or Koei Tecmo (both of which Nintendo has decent relationships with) and let them take a stab at revitalizing older games. That way, Nintendo can still focus on its more profitable titles/new IPs while giving fans of smaller series something to look forward to. Even if it doesn't turn out to be amazing, the series was going to just sit there anyway.

I'd argue that, above all else, the real issue is Nintendo being overprotective of its IPs...which is consistently becoming a common theme. Certainly don't hand series off to whatever publisher wants to do something with it (and possibly restrict Team Ninja's ability to design Zelda villains if you do), but if the franchise is just collecting dust, then why not take a few more shots?

not many of that IPs can compete in terms of popularity with IPs like Destiny, GTA, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, COD, Fifa, Half life, Warcraft, Battlefield, Battlefront, Titanfall, Witcher, Dragon Age, Watch Dogs, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Kingdom hearts,... They definitly need something way more promising.

hershel_layton said:

Here is a list of all of Nintendo's IP's on the top of my head(bolded means they're barely used):

-Mario

-Luigi's Mansion

-Kid Icarus

-Legend of Zelda

-Super Smash Bros.

-Duck Hunt

-Punchout

-Animal Crossing

-Kirby

-Pikmin

-Mother

-Metroid

-Pilot Wings

-Brain Age

-F Zero

-Fire Emblem

-Golden Sun

-Legendary Starfy

-Splatoon

-Donkey Kong

-Yoshi's Island series

-Wario series

-Dillion's Rolling Western

-Pushmo

-etc

-Art of Balance

-Bunch of other ignored IP's

What do you realize? NINTENDO HAS TOO MANY IP'S. They're seriously throwing away money by ignoring so many series. I want them to make new Ip's- seeing Splatoon makes me desire more. However, they clearly should give spotlight to many other games

They don't own Art of Balance. That is Shin'en. Nintendo has like 90+ IPs so yeahthey can't manage them all but a few newer ones or revive lesser known or dorment ones can help them as well.

onionberry said:

Nintendo has more ips than anybody lol, they need to use them asap.

Lol what are you smoking? Sony has more IPs. Hell I think even Microsoft has more IPs than Nintendo.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
hershel_layton said:

Here is a list of all of Nintendo's IP's on the top of my head(bolded means they're barely used):

-Mario

-Luigi's Mansion

-Kid Icarus

-Legend of Zelda

-Super Smash Bros.

-Duck Hunt

-Punchout

-Animal Crossing

-Kirby

-Pikmin

-Mother

-Metroid

-Pilot Wings

-Brain Age

-F Zero

-Fire Emblem

-Golden Sun

-Legendary Starfy

-Splatoon

-Donkey Kong

-Yoshi's Island series

-Wario series

-Dillion's Rolling Western

-Pushmo

-etc

-Art of Balance

-Bunch of other ignored IP's

What do you realize? NINTENDO HAS TOO MANY IP'S. They're seriously throwing away money by ignoring so many series. I want them to make new Ip's- seeing Splatoon makes me desire more. However, they clearly should give spotlight to many other games

They don't own Art of Balance. That is Shin'en. Nintendo has like 90+ IPs so yeahthey can't manage them all but a few newer ones or revive lesser known or dorment ones can help them as well.

if that's the case, Shin'en should get it together and make another game :P

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

I want a new StarTropics..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

They need to spend their god damn money. If they did then maybe they COULD utilize all their ip's. Nintendo hoarding cash is just bad business and resulted in them not being able to support the WiiU consistently.

"It's ok we have mountains of cash to not expand with."

I kinda agree, and kinda disagree; yes, they have a lot of unused IP's, and it would be great to see more of those. However, most of them aren't being used for a reason, maybe that genre were very popular once upon a time, but isn't any more. Then you need to invest in new IP's, as they did with Splatoon. But some of those games would still be great, with a little tweaking - just look at Kid Icarus Uprising! That game also sold really well. I want both new and old IP's from Nintendo!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Ali_16x said:
onionberry said:

Nintendo has more ips than anybody lol, they need to use them asap.

Lol what are you smoking? Sony has more IPs. Hell I think even Microsoft has more IPs than Nintendo.

Don't have to be offended by it. If you want, you can research all of these companies' IPs and compare. :P