By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [DF] [YT] DriveClub VR vs DriveClub: The Price of Virtual Reality

malistix1985 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Its just a lazy effort.

Look at Forza 4 in comparison, a 7th gen game looks better with a fraction of the power.

maybe its because sony gave evolution away to codemaster, since they are no longer first party they might have just not taken the effort, because before, with driveclub, they deffenitely did take the effort patching and helping the game from mediocore to decent, anyway, im pretty sure most racing fans won't have a ps4 as a main console after the last years of xbox anyway, gran turismo is already confirmed to not be fully playable in VR either, so not much for VR either.

I don't see sony trying wipeout on VR, but thats a series I would like to see back, only I can just imagine how many people would be sick at those speeds lol, and I think they closed that developer too, which is a shame, the vita game is amazing.

I get the impression Sony just got a few people to lower the graphics as much as necessary for the game to not dip below 60 fps.

Its kinda like a PC game with graphics settings dropped to low settings.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

On pro the upscaling seems a bit cleaner yet the game renders in the same lower resolution. Odd as Eurogamer itself said in their preview The visual fidelity of DriveClub is largely intact, too - it's a little more sparse, but not distractingly so, and Evolution has been able to hit 60fps without the resolution taking a dive. The resolution did take a dive, it's sub native to PSVR and very noticeable in night races. I hope there will be a pro patch at some point. (was announced)

That Eurogamer quote is just wrong as proven by this video. There is a major hit to visual fidelity and resolution, too. Whether it is distracting is a piece of opinion but the difference in the video makes it clear for everyone.

Mr Puggsly said:
malistix1985 said:

maybe its because sony gave evolution away to codemaster, since they are no longer first party they might have just not taken the effort, because before, with driveclub, they deffenitely did take the effort patching and helping the game from mediocore to decent, anyway, im pretty sure most racing fans won't have a ps4 as a main console after the last years of xbox anyway, gran turismo is already confirmed to not be fully playable in VR either, so not much for VR either.

I don't see sony trying wipeout on VR, but thats a series I would like to see back, only I can just imagine how many people would be sick at those speeds lol, and I think they closed that developer too, which is a shame, the vita game is amazing.

I get the impression Sony just got a few people to lower the graphics as much as necessary for the game to not dip below 60 fps.

Prob. right, pc games look like pledo too on low :D im sure sony will try harder with their future vr games and as with every console launch we should be forgiving of launch lineups

Twitter @CyberMalistix

malistix1985 said:
i just don't get it, forza 6 runs on 60fps, driveclub is an amazing looking game, but is really the only reason it looks like pledo the 60fps? I would have tought they could do a better job.

I don't know how the experience is when wearing the headset, but it looks rough in the video :( I think the Pro should be able to get close to the original graphics?

It's not just 60fps. It's also a much wider fov, more stuff in view to render, and all in stereographic 3D which means a lot of effects that look fine in 2D don't work. You also see a lot more up and down, VR is not 16:9, it's fov extends the same in all directions.
Plus the view in a headset is warped, the center is filled with more pixels than the edges. Ofcourse the game is still rendered in a standard square which is then scaled to the warped picture sent to the headset. The center of the rendered square gets blown up (upscaled) while the edges get squeezed together. To get a 'native' looking game, you'll need to render at a higher resolution to avoid having to fill in the gaps in the transformation process.

The pro actually has some useful tools for PSVR, multi resolution support. That way you can avoid rendering too much for the outsides and spend more on the center. It's not in the current version of DC VR though.

Anyway it's a lot more work than reaching 60fps. Especially in games not made with that in mind.

so the orginal DC became the Enhanced Visual mode, and people who keep asking for DC solid 60fps should play the PSVR High Framerate mode... 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
malistix1985 said:
i just don't get it, forza 6 runs on 60fps, driveclub is an amazing looking game, but is really the only reason it looks like pledo the 60fps? I would have tought they could do a better job.

I don't know how the experience is when wearing the headset, but it looks rough in the video :( I think the Pro should be able to get close to the original graphics?

Anyway it's a lot more work than reaching 60fps. Especially in games not made with that in mind.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/18/driveclub-will-support-all-ps4-wheels-studio-aiming-at-60fps/

It's not as that was ever out of question.

walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

On pro the upscaling seems a bit cleaner yet the game renders in the same lower resolution. Odd as Eurogamer itself said in their preview The visual fidelity of DriveClub is largely intact, too - it's a little more sparse, but not distractingly so, and Evolution has been able to hit 60fps without the resolution taking a dive. The resolution did take a dive, it's sub native to PSVR and very noticeable in night races. I hope there will be a pro patch at some point. (was announced)

That Eurogamer quote is just wrong as proven by this video. There is a major hit to visual fidelity and resolution, too. Whether it is distracting is a piece of opinion but the difference in the video makes it clear for everyone.

That quote is from a preview from 2015. Before Evolution studios got closed.

Mr Puggsly said:

You might be right. Evolution was disbanded, game still needed to launch, get some people to delete stuff until it's stable...

walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/06/18/driveclub-will-support-all-ps4-wheels-studio-aiming-at-60fps/

give me that driveclub, I want to play that one lol !

Twitter @CyberMalistix

walsufnir said:
SvennoJ said:

I meant to say not made with VR in mind, not just 60fps. As I said in the rest of my post, effects not working in stereographic 3D, wider fov, headtracking. I'm curious to see how GT sport will look in VR, what kind of hit that takes. They should have had a lot more time to retool the engine for VR, plus it's already a (near) 60fps title.

Trackmania Turbo has less detail on the tracks in VR as well which was 60fps already. The resolution in intact however and it runs at native 120fps on the pro. Too bad they chickened out and only give you 40 'please don't throw up' tracks.

walsufnir said:

Stolen from GAF:

Yowch.

I swear Forza 3, an Xbox 360 game from 2009, looks better than that.