By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - [DF] [YT] DriveClub VR vs DriveClub: The Price of Virtual Reality

Digital Foundry compares DC with DCVR:

View on YouTube

"Graphics comparison showing the differences between 'full-fat' DriveClub on PS4 and the VR experience. What compromises were necessary to accommodate 60fps *and* a stereo 3D view? All VR footage taken on PS4 Pro (it seems visually identical to the base PS4 based on what we've seen so far)."

Around the Network

Yea when I saw that and the VR version looked really yuck worthy but alas, to achieve a 60fps lock, it had to be done.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Old thread for perspective, not to bump but to read:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=220492

i just don't get it, forza 6 runs on 60fps, driveclub is an amazing looking game, but is really the only reason it looks like pledo the 60fps? I would have tought they could do a better job.

I don't know how the experience is when wearing the headset, but it looks rough in the video :( I think the Pro should be able to get close to the original graphics?

Twitter @CyberMalistix

They clearly didn't put much effort in this.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
malistix1985 said:
i just don't get it, forza 6 runs on 60fps, driveclub is an amazing looking game, but is really the only reason it looks like pledo the 60fps? I would have tought they could do a better job.

I don't know how the experience is when wearing the headset, but it looks rough in the video :( I think the Pro should be able to get close to the original graphics?

Its just a lazy effort.

Look at Forza 4 in comparison, a 7th gen game looks better with a fraction of the power.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Stolen from GAF:

I didn't watch but does it mention improvements with the pro?

Edit: looks like i didn't read either lol

Mr Puggsly said:
malistix1985 said:

Its just a lazy effort.

Look at Forza 4 in comparison, a 7th gen game looks better with a fraction of the power.

maybe its because sony gave evolution away to codemaster, since they are no longer first party they might have just not taken the effort, because before, with driveclub, they deffenitely did take the effort patching and helping the game from mediocore to decent, anyway, im pretty sure most racing fans won't have a ps4 as a main console after the last years of xbox anyway, gran turismo is already confirmed to not be fully playable in VR either, so not much for VR either.

I don't see sony trying wipeout on VR, but thats a series I would like to see back, only I can just imagine how many people would be sick at those speeds lol, and I think they closed that developer too, which is a shame, the vita game is amazing.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

The price is worth it, I've been playing it daily since launch. I tried to go back to the 2D version to check out the new city tracks, and yes, they look way better, and way less fun to drive. Driving in VR feels natural, you can look where you're going while drifting, you can check your mirrors, check if a car is beside you. You can look ahead in U Turns, or simply look to the side and see that waterfall you've never noticed before. It's much easier to judge breaking points and to nail the apex. Drifting stops being a game of guesswork, instead you can feel where the car is going.

Compared to VR, everything seems stretched out in 2D, to fit the field of view on a small screen, which leaves you staring at the little bit of relevant info in the center of the screen. In VR the upcoming turns are a lot more visible, plus you never want to drive without in car view. You can naturally look out of the windshield and not have the 'over 50% of the screen covered up' effect of in car view on a regular screen. It doesn't make sense to drive without it. And the car interiors all look awesome with their custom dashboard instruments and every detail intact.

On pro the upscaling seems a bit cleaner yet the game renders in the same lower resolution. Odd as Eurogamer itself said in their preview The visual fidelity of DriveClub is largely intact, too - it's a little more sparse, but not distractingly so, and Evolution has been able to hit 60fps without the resolution taking a dive. The resolution did take a dive, it's sub native to PSVR and very noticeable in night races. I hope there will be a pro patch at some point. (was announced)

Small price for a revolution in racing games.