By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last Guardian 35 minutes of gameplay of final build.

TheGreatOther said:
WagnerPaiva said:
Looks cool but there is no way in hell this can sell more than 1 million copies. What was the point of developing this through 10 years? Sony needs to keep a tighter leash in their teams, this is not something that can happen again.

Shuhei said only 4 out of 10 games they create make money and they use that to fund the other 6. The first party titles aren't really for making money but creating a diverse library of titles that appeal to different demographics.

i think Sony should be commended for this philosophy, god knows we don't need them just putting out just the same few franchises that turn a profit year after year like all the other publishers.

the amount of new IPs coming from major publishers this gen that we know of so far is quite sad, look at it:

EA:

Titanfall

UFC 

Unravel

Nintendo:

Splatoon

The Wonderful 101

Ubisoft:

The Crew

Watch Dogs

For Honor

The Division

Child of Light

MS Studios:

Ryse 

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Recore 

Scalebound

Sea of Thieves

Crimson Dragon

Ori and the Blind Forest

Screamride 

Sony:

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

The Last Guardian

Detroit: Become Human

Dreams

Until Dawn

Driveclub

The Order 1886

Knack

Death Stranding

Days Gone

Everybody's gone to the Rapture

The Tomorrow Children

WiLD

What Remains of Edith Finch

Drawn to Death

Kill strain

Alienation

Matterfall

Bound

Helldivers

Resogun

Hohokum

Guns Up

Entwined

Sony is the only publisher willing to spend money on titles that might not work out financially.

Yes, Sony is amazing, but they are not perfect. I am willing to admit they are the best, but I can´t get over the fact of they abandoning franchises that deserved to still exist, like MAG and SIREN. 

Specially MAG, but SPECIALLY Siren.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
TheGreatOther said:

Shuhei said only 4 out of 10 games they create make money and they use that to fund the other 6. The first party titles aren't really for making money but creating a diverse library of titles that appeal to different demographics.

i think Sony should be commended for this philosophy, god knows we don't need them just putting out just the same few franchises that turn a profit year after year like all the other publishers.

the amount of new IPs coming from major publishers this gen that we know of so far is quite sad, look at it:

EA:

Titanfall

UFC 

Unravel

Nintendo:

Splatoon

The Wonderful 101

Ubisoft:

The Crew

Watch Dogs

For Honor

The Division

Child of Light

MS Studios:

Ryse 

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Recore 

Scalebound

Sea of Thieves

Crimson Dragon

Ori and the Blind Forest

Screamride 

Sony:

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

The Last Guardian

Detroit: Become Human

Dreams

Until Dawn

Driveclub

The Order 1886

Knack

Death Stranding

Days Gone

Everybody's gone to the Rapture

The Tomorrow Children

WiLD

What Remains of Edith Finch

Drawn to Death

Kill strain

Alienation

Matterfall

Bound

Helldivers

Resogun

Hohokum

Guns Up

Entwined

Sony is the only publisher willing to spend money on titles that might not work out financially.

Yes, Sony is amazing, but they are not perfect. I am willing to admit they are the best, but I can´t get over the fact of they abandoning franchises that deserved to still exist, like MAG and SIREN. 

Specially MAG, but SPECIALLY Siren.

I like Sony precisely for that reason. They aren't too attached to their IPs and are willing to just move on to new stuff.

S.Peelman said:

Graphically it doesn't impress, looks like Twilight Princess HD at times, but such puzzle-gameplay could be good. If it remains clever enough for the entire game. We'll see, color me mildly interested.

Not even close. 

Looks ok.

I don't want to watch it but is there combat? I saw soldiers in the trailer.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Graphically it doesn't impress, looks like Twilight Princess HD at times, but such puzzle-gameplay could be good. If it remains clever enough for the entire game. We'll see, color me mildly interested.

Team ICO games has never been about graphics. They are all about atmosphere. And capture something that can onky be exoerienced to be understood. I will just go ahead and assume you never played Ico and/or SotC. If you did, you won't say what you just said csuse you will have seen the very same charm of the team in this game so far. 

WagnerPaiva said:
Looks cool but there is no way in hell this can sell more than 1 million copies. What was the point of developing this through 10 years? Sony needs to keep a tighter leash in their teams, this is not something that can happen again.

Firstly, it will sell well over a million copies. Secondly, it's clear this game wasnt made for people like you. As it stands people like you just won't get a game like this. And thank God there is a company and devs still willing to support games like these. Or eveything will just be COD and GTA. Lastly, games like these aren't intended to sell 5-10M copies. But games like this will be talked about long after people have talked about the uncharteds and gears of this world. 10yrs+ on, notice how people still talk about SotC?

celador said:

I'm looking forward to it, I really enjoyed Ico and this seems like a slightly more ambitious version of that game.

I think a lot of how it is received critically will be dependent on the relationship between Trico and the kid. It will be marked down for it's dated looks, possible camera issues (unless that was sorted in the extra time) and perhaps a lack of puzzle variety based on an article I saw. If they can nail that relationship though, I think that could be the difference between an average game that gets a 70 meta and a 75-80 meta.

As for sales, it won't get to 1m sales even if it gets 10s across the board

SotC got there too before the remaster. It sits at 91 though despite reviews like

Shadow of the Colossus has more style than real substance and it is slightly baffling why Fumito Ueda, the game's creator, didn't develop this into something a little more Zelda-esque in order to make best use of the world he has created. He might have had a classic on his hands.

Lack of puzzle variety sounds the same as lack of things to do in the overworld in SotC. As long as the puzzles make sense and explore the relationship between trico and the kid it's all good. Just like in ICO where he constantly toys with your unease where to leave Yorda while figuring out the next puzzle. 2 more weeks to find out if lightning can strike thrice.

Intrinsic said:
S.Peelman said:

Team ICO games has never been about graphics. They are all about atmosphere. And capture something that can onky be exoerienced to be understood. I will just go ahead and assume you never played Ico and/or SotC. If you did, you won't say what you just said csuse you will have seen the very same charm of the team in this game so far. 

WagnerPaiva said:

Firstly, it will sell well over a million copies. Secondly, it's clear this game wasnt made for people like you. As it stands people like you just won't get a game like this. And thank God there is a company and devs still willing to support games like these. Or eveything will just be COD and GTA. Lastly, games like these aren't intended to sell 5-10M copies. But games like this will be talked about long after people have talked about the uncharteds and gears of this world. 10yrs+ on, notice how people still talk about SotC?

Actually Shadow of the colossus was one of the best 6th gen looking games.

SvennoJ said:

SotC got there too before the remaster. It sits at 91 though despite reviews like

Shadow of the Colossus has more style than real substance and it is slightly baffling why Fumito Ueda, the game's creator, didn't develop this into something a little more Zelda-esque in order to make best use of the world he has created. He might have had a classic on his hands.

Lack of puzzle variety sounds the same as lack of things to do in the overworld in SotC. As long as the puzzles make sense and explore the relationship between trico and the kid it's all good. Just like in ICO where he constantly toys with your unease where to leave Yorda while figuring out the next puzzle. 2 more weeks to find out if lightning can strike thrice.

But Shadow of the Colossus felt like something completely different. Reviewers often respond to that. This 'just' feels like a more ambitious Ico

Looks very good I bet there is a lot in store!