By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last Guardian 35 minutes of gameplay of final build.

SvennoJ said:
WagnerPaiva said:

That´s a very different approach from what I expect from a development team, I will give you that. It reminds me of Guns n Roses and Def Leppard taking 15 and 8 years to finish their albums, it does not matter how good the album is, it is just too much time.

For what we know of the industry, such a game can not be a smash hit. Sure, it is awesome, but it is not the kind of game that sells millions, not in this day and age.

Hits nowdays are games that just make us lose ourselves in a well elaborated world in which we can fulfill primal instincts or to live stuff we see in the movies, like GTA5 or Battlefield, or crazy fun games that are addictive by their super fun mechanics, like Mario Kart 8 or Splattoon. 

Or even, cathartic experiences that involve us in a web of repressed feelings, like Until Dawn or Hitman Absolution. Esotheric concepts like Last Guardian do not sell blockbusters usually.

I just fail to see how this took so much time to be completed. It smells like OCD instead of a genious mind, like, no respect for planning. Sounds like Suicide Squad: starting to do something before you are sure of what you want to do.

Aside that, Final Fantasy 15 is proof that no good thing comes from such a long time developing: the result is usually a mess. Last Guardian does not have the same problem. It is not a mess, but it feels like a tiny result for such a enormouns gestation.

I haven't played it yet. I rather think it's an enormous result to be able to bring a 10 year project to a succesful close. At least it doesn't look like a Duke Nukem Forever or FF15. The difference is one man with a vision. This game is not designed by comittee.

I love projects like these where the vision of the director can come to life. Normally that's restricted to lower budget indies, yet once in a while someone gets the chance to really go for it. I'm glad he got that chance.

It's the only non VR game I'll be buying this season as all the sequels are not appealing to me. It probably didn't sell much, yet Here they lie is now my second favorite psvr title and more memorable than Uncharted 4 to me. So deliciously weird. A diamond in the rough.

I am just playing Capitain Hindsight I guess. You guys are right, Sony can afford some artistic adventures...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
BraLoD said:

Svennoj just told you there is more to life than money, and if money is not a concern, as yes, dragging it for so long you are bleeding money, but if it can still be release it does matters, to the fans and to the devs/composers.

Yes, I get it. But I don´t like it. Sony is sitting on so many amazing properties that need a team to develop them: SIREN, Siphon Filther, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Wipeout, MAG, and on and on and on...

I would like to see JAPAN showing more discipline and results, that´s all.

So you do want more risky niche projects? All those games got cancelled or ignored for not being deemed economically viable. Basically you're jealous Team ICO got the chance and not the others. I would love a new Siren too for VR. Here they lie does a good job at reminding me of Siren while sneaking through the abandoned village.

Wipeout 2048 should have had a ps4 release, somehow some suit didn't see a profit in it. Evolution studios got cancelled even after their enormous comittment to the game. Sony is already tightening the reigns on anything that's not a smash hit. I'm glad Team ICO fell through the cracks and managed to keep going.

WagnerPaiva said:
SvennoJ said:

I haven't played it yet. I rather think it's an enormous result to be able to bring a 10 year project to a succesful close. At least it doesn't look like a Duke Nukem Forever or FF15. The difference is one man with a vision. This game is not designed by comittee.

I love projects like these where the vision of the director can come to life. Normally that's restricted to lower budget indies, yet once in a while someone gets the chance to really go for it. I'm glad he got that chance.

It's the only non VR game I'll be buying this season as all the sequels are not appealing to me. It probably didn't sell much, yet Here they lie is now my second favorite psvr title and more memorable than Uncharted 4 to me. So deliciously weird. A diamond in the rough.

I am just playing Capitain Hindsight I guess. You guys are right, Sony can afford some artistic adventures...

You know, I just as much interested in a post mortem of The last guardian as the game itself at this point. I would pay good money for a documentary about the creation of this game. Perhaps it could be a succeful video game movie, the making of TLG. I would love to see what all happened behind closed doors.

I wonder how many people are going to overlook how incredible the animations are?

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:
WagnerPaiva said:

For what we know of the industry, such a game can not be a smash hit. 

Yeah, they said the same thing about Heavy Rain. From what we can logically "assume" about this industry - there will be hits and there will be misses. You cannot know what will happen.

They said, but I did not. I totally understand the success of Heavy Rain: it is a deep, envolving game that has a cathartic quality to it. It brings you into a psychopat murder-kidnap investigation with amazing sights and sounds and a unique and yet familiar approach to it. 

It is nostalgic because it reminds us of those "your own adventure" books from our childhood and yet expetacular and high tech in graphics and overall feel. Heavy Rain is a consumer driven masterpiece, it is just awesome.

The same goes to Until Dawn for example, these are game that feel like a breath of fresh air from the pew-pew shooters and such, and they have all the hints os success in they.

Last Guardian looks cool, but I fail to see justification for such a long gestation period, that is all. It seems to me like lack of focus and planning, not a genious at work.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
WagnerPaiva said:

Yes, I get it. But I don´t like it. Sony is sitting on so many amazing properties that need a team to develop them: SIREN, Siphon Filther, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Wipeout, MAG, and on and on and on...

I would like to see JAPAN showing more discipline and results, that´s all.

So you do want more risky niche projects? All those games got cancelled or ignored for not being deemed economically viable. Basically you're jealous Team ICO got the chance and not the others. I would love a new Siren too for VR. Here they lie does a good job at reminding me of Siren while sneaking through the abandoned village.

Wipeout 2048 should have had a ps4 release, somehow some suit didn't see a profit in it. Evolution studios got cancelled even after their enormous comittment to the game. Sony is already tightening the reigns on anything that's not a smash hit. I'm glad Team ICO fell through the cracks and managed to keep going.

You are totally right: I am jealous of Team Ico and angry because Team Siren is directed by slave drivers that force them into lesser projects instead of the glorious next chapter of SIREN.

I am jealous  of Team Ico getting away with 10 years of laziness while amazing teams like ZIPPER get shut down.

CGI-Quality said:
WagnerPaiva said:

They said, but I did not. I totally understand the success of Heavy Rain: it is a deep, envolving game that has a cathartic quality to it. It brings you into a psychopat murder-kidnap investigation with amazing sights and sounds and a unique and yet familiar approach to it. 

It is nostalgic because it reminds us of those "your own adventure" books from our childhood and yet expetacular and high tech in graphics and overall feel. Heavy Rain is a consumer driven masterpiece, it is just awesome.

The same goes to Until Dawn for example, these are game that feel like a breath of fresh air from the pew-pew shooters and such, and they have all the hints os success in they.

Last Guardian looks cool, but I fail to see justification for such a long gestation period, that is all. It seems to me like lack of focus and planning, not a genious at work.

What I'm saying is just because something "appears" like it may fail, or won't resonate, doesn't mean that it will. It's all fine and dandy to praise Heavy Rain now, but that doesn't mean most assumed it would be a sure-fire hit! The Last Guardian is in a complementary predicament (save for a longer dev cycle and not quite as much criticism). 

Regardless, one should learn lessons about the past before making absolute statements about the future. Can it fail? Absolutely. Doesn't mean that it's guaranteed to.

You are right. I am just sore that Team Silent gets have to make Gravity Rush remasters while Team Ico live the high life I guess... =(

BraLoD said:
WagnerPaiva said:

It apparently had severe technical issues on the PS3 and was basically dropped, so it wasn't actually being developed this whole time, it actually may not have for the most part.
Came 2012 and Japan Studios was put back into tracks, they cancelled almost all their ongoing development games to focus on the ones ables to actually be delivered and with the most appeal between them, while shiftting platforms from the PS3 to the PS4 (internally December 2012, which was when this happened at Japan Studios), and of course The Last Guardian would be one of those very few, as it was once very hyped and people were still actually asking for it after all those years of silence.

It was gamers pledges that kept it alive and put it back into actual development and being able to now finally be released.
It's dated, yes, but it's coming. Shu already said it actually didn't cost them much money, and games like Horizon cost the much, much more than TLG even after all those years, so it doesn't even need to super perform or something like that, it won't be a problem to Sony, letting it go could be worse, actually, and still managing to deliver it in not a shameful way as Duke Nukem Forever it's actually a good thing overall.

You know what, people give Polyphony a lot of crap but those guys deliver, their games feel like something that tak a lot of time to do. But if it was the case of a turbulent and  intermittent process, then, whatever, let them be.

But I watch this video and I do not want to play this at all, it feels alien to me, it does not relate to nothing, it does not feel fun, it just do not comunicate anything to me. So I feel like all this time was wasted.

Well, I am sure it is someone else cup of tea though. But I hope Sony keeps their teams with the right kind of vision and focus: Sure, inovate, create new things, but plan ahead, do not go stray or let things get out of control. Create your game on pen and paper, have a whole vision: what the gamers will feel? What they will see? What will make the game fun?

I always criticize western devs because they think guns and explosions are what makes a game, but you can not go all the way in the other direction either. A little ground is a good thing. 

I will probably enjoy LAST GUARDIAN, cause I enjoy weird stuff and dream-like games. Such a game feels like something I get on a sale. I am jsut shocked that it takes 10 years to deliver such a tiny final product.

super excited for this game.

i do worry it will bee dead on release though, there seems to be little hype for it when its Sony's only big first party game this christmas

2018 Hit List: Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit, Dreams, Spider-Man, God Of War, Days Gone, Medievil, Tomb Raider 3, RDR2 

its not my genre, I didn't like ICO I tought shadow of the collosus was "ok" but generally I am more of a racing- sports and action kind of person, The only platformer I liked in recent history have been the tomb raider- and uncharted games because there is a good mix.

anyway, it looks good because of the artstyle, but I am really going to look forward to the reviews, I Hope it turnes out great, it doesn't have to be long as long as its unique (looks like they nailed that) and plays well (which I still dont know for sure). Also they said the story should be interesting, lets hope that turns out good too, they really didn't leak anything on that,

Anyway, long story short: Not for me but I hope everyone looking forward to this will get a good game ^_^

Twitter @CyberMalistix