By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New content is dead

The issue I think that OP has is that the top 10 sellers doesn't include smaller indie or new games, and that is just simply because while there is new content out there, it tends to not have a super massive budget because it's risky to have that in a new game, say the first GTA was created because of a programming malfunction with a micro machines clone, but now we have GTA5 which is a couple of hundred million dollars worth of game to develop and it sells an amount you would expect for this caliber of game too.

But yeah we get stuff like Watchdogs (which wasn't entirely a new IP in that it's built upon assets from a driver sequel which didn't happen) but still, new IP, lot of cash into it... no one really wanted another GTA clone with an unlikable character so it done poorly, you need to create many new IP's which are small to find one that sells well (overwatch) and then go nuts on that and create content and a community which will make sure that IP shines for years to come, you can't just start off with a half a billion dollar project, that's the logic of Star Wars The Old Republic, if there isn't an audience who will pay back your investors you shouldn't be creating a game on that scale, it's business studies 101.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

There's plenty of new content, it's just that established franchises are more popular. This is especially true for movies, and has been the case for a very long time. Think about it. When was the last time a new IP passed 1billion in the box office, or outsold big games like Halo or Uncharted. Avatar and The Last of Us? Before that?

think-man said:
The Last Guardian, though I doubt it will make the top 100 sellers of this year.

You forgot  Quantam Break & Recore :p   

but i want to play Xcom 2

Above & Beyond

The problem is something can only be new once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

My impression is that companies just throw new stuff out there whenever their old stuff becomes too boring, in an effort to find something that they can milk until people get bored of it and the cycle continues.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
mZuzek said:

Well, objectively yes, but it's like saying "Wii U is dead". That doesn't mean the Wii U no longer exists, but rather that it doesn't sell and no one gives a crap about it.

I buried my WiiU in the backyard so for all intents and purposes it is dead.

Hahaha. I'll see if I can send mine back to Nintendo: let them decide what to do with it and hopefully the message is not lost on them. Had my fun but I'm ready for a Switch.

The blame should also be put on the customers. There are some legit good indie games out there. Take a look at secret of grindea. It's almost as good as zelda lttp (if not better), but no one really paid attention to it.

vivster said:
Maybe it's more like the actual new stuff isn't making it into top lists because nobody cares about new stuff. An industry that doesn't consider indie games as real games doesn't really deserve new IPs.

I'm ok with this. :p 

Seriously, this means nothing. Many existing IP's re-invigorate and change themselves for better or worse. Look at god of war for example.

I don't really care if theres new IP's or not. I care if the games we got are fun to play.

Most of the new, interesting stuff is coming from the indie scene. That is why I half way through the geen i have just been focusing on indie titles ignoring what ever has been spat out by the AAA market.