By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New content is dead

Someone on Reddit pointed out that new, original content is dissapearing on the yearly boxoffice charts.

This is even more true for videogames.

Sequels/remasters completely dominate the yearly charts. This year will end with no new ip in the top 10; a first. 

The top 100 includes Overwatch, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break and Life Is Strange (If you are generous, Doom and Pokken could be included). Nothing else.

Not saying that sequels can't be good, but isn't this a bit excessive? I always found the lack of new IPs a valid critique for Nintendo, but recently, that's become the case for everyone.

Edit: just to make this clear, this should be more seen as an observation towards consumer trends, not a critique of developpers. People seem more and more satisfied with reliving what they already know, with a slight upgrade. Perhaps a result of the average gamer demographic growing up?

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

Maybe it's more like the actual new stuff isn't making it into top lists because nobody cares about new stuff. An industry that doesn't consider indie games as real games doesn't really deserve new IPs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

What do you mean by top 10? I'm almost sure that Overwatch has been one of the 10 most popular games of the year.

New content is out there. You just need to know where to look.

Hint: not in the best-sellers list.

The Last Guardian, though I doubt it will make the top 100 sellers of this year.

Around the Network
palou said:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that new, original content is dissapearing on the yearly boxoffice charts.

This is even more true for videogames.

Sequels/remasters completely dominate the yearly charts. This year will end with no new ip in the top 10; a first. 

The top 100 includes Overwatch, No Man's Sky, Quantum Break and Life Is Strange (If you are generous, Doom and Pokken could be included). Nothing else.

Not saying that sequels can't be good, but isn't this a bit excessive? I always found the lack of new IPs a valid critique for Nintendo, but recently, that's become the case for everyone.

Well at least we have television to make up for it!

TV series is the new hotness.

Are you referring to the 10 best selling games of the year? If that's the case I'm not too sure. Overwatch is a new IP and is also one of the best selling games of the year.

And as for the rest, even if they don't break into the top 10 they still did very well commercially.

I think you also have to take into account that with gaming, and how different genres appeals to people and some gamers buying habits, a game tiling the charts evey year doesn't necessarily mean much. COD/FIFA will likly always sell better than Bloodborne or the witness. that's not a bad thing either.

mZuzek said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

New content is out there. You just need to know where to look.

Hint: not in the best-sellers list.

I think the point of the thread was to point out that new content doesn't sell or attract attention, not that it doesn't exist at all.

"New content is dead" would seem to suggest new content no longer exists

Not like being a "new IP" means much anyway, look at Days Gone. Each FF is "more new" than that thing is ever gonna be

Good new content is available. But you can't force gamers to buy or play them instead of sequels / remakes / ports of their favorite games.

If sequels to good games sell better than new IPs, are publishers and developers to blame if they serve the market?

Here is a list of the top 100 rated 2016-games (so far) on PC and PS4 (actually the 2 most popular platforms besides mobile):