By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is Xbox One Now Outselling The PS4?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
It wont for much longer. November and December belong to Sony. The best selling console usually wins black friday and the pro just dropped. Microsoft had the "S" console drop and that helped their sales along with Gears 4.

Black Friday will be a big deal. The Xbox One S will be selling at $249. Usually the cheapest console wins and the Xbox has momentum. I think that the Xbox shouldn't be underestimated. It will be in stock and will be for sale at a low price.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
It wont for much longer. November and December belong to Sony. The best selling console usually wins black friday and the pro just dropped. Microsoft had the "S" console drop and that helped their sales along with Gears 4.

Black Friday will be a big deal. The Xbox One S will be selling at $249. Usually the cheapest console wins and the Xbox has momentum. I think that the Xbox shouldn't be underestimated. It will be in stock and will be for sale at a low price.

You're only telling the story for one side. Both brands will have consoles at that price on Black Friday. The Xbox momentum will be short lived.  You'll see what I mean when the November numbers come in. Sony has had the majority of months out of the year and will have the last two. You're also discounting the anticipation for the Pro launch.

Intrinsic said:
KLAMarine said:

Sony did a great deal for NMS, most of which was providing the title a very large platform for promotion only for the title to then release to overwhelmingly negative reception. The debacle makes me question if any sort of quality control was exercised by Sony prior to its release on its console. One would think Sony would have considering how much they promoted NMS but apparently not since the game crashes on the PS4. I've seen it for myself secondhand.

Could it be Sony saw the hype and knew this game could move PS4s, game quality be damned? I'd hate to think so.

Again, that game was also released on PC. Sony having a marketing deal with an independent studio didn't mean they are responsible for how the game turns out. It just doesn't work that way. And again. The game wlso released on PC.

Sony is not entirely responsible but I'm pretty sure Sony can set at the very least SOME standards on the type of software that gets put on its platform, the bare minimum assuring that a game doesn't have problems with crashing. I don't think of Sony as being completely powerless.

Intrinsic said:
KLAMarine said:

These things don't single-handedly determine sales trends of course but they do one thing that needed to happen and that's improve Microsoft's and XBox's image and at times hurt PlayStation's. With an improved image, XBox marketing may then prove more effective in the future.

We can see evidence of it in this thread even: users giving XBox props for improving itself.

I'll give you this one. MS has done a lot to improve their image, but I don't think it's been at the expense of Sony or that Sony has in turn been fucking up. MS has been correcting their mistakes. Sony has been doing what they habe always been doing. 

Sometimes XBox 1 improving itself does come at PS4's expense: XB1 gets backwards compatibility which contrasts against the PS4 which does not.

Chalk one up for XBox.

Intrinsic said:
KLAMarine said:

They'll probably hope developing for both platforms is simple enough. Yes there will be more PlayStations out in the wild by the time the Scorpio releases but there will be more XBoxes out too.

Yes there will, but history has shown that the console that has the most sales is the one that developers focus on the most. Just look at the PS2 vs Xbox. The differences between the PS4pro and scorpio would be even less obvious as those between the PS2 and Xbox. And as it stands the PS4 already has a very commanding lead over the XB1. By March next year we could very well be talking about an over 2:1global lead over the XB1. That's nothing to scoff at. And that much of a lead gives sony more power than most seem to notice. MS saving grace so far this gen is that sony has door some reason decided to not be as aggressive as they were back in the time of the PS2. 

What if Sony priced the PS4s at $199? Or if when the scorpio launches the PS4pro drops to $299. Renee what a cheaper console did the gen?

MS's saving grace is that the XB1 isn't terribly different than the PS4 meaning developing for both platforms is not so difficult as to making development for both not worth the effort.

Intrinsic said:
KLAMarine said:

The way it was described in a previous thread by user d21lewis ( http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222079&page=1 ) certainly made it sound like a pain, comparatively speaking. These inconveniences just do more of what I described previously: engender threads and discussions that hurt PlayStation's image and improve XBox's.

External HDD support is no doubt intimately more convenient. But that's not a deal breaker. Especially when u consider that the PS4 is designed for you to be able to swap out your HDD. You can't even do that on the XB1 without voiding your warranty. And in truth, the whole HDD thing is only complicated under very specific situations. 

If you had a 500GB PS4 and chose to upgrade to a 1TB PS4pro, then the whole process is as painless as connecting both consoles together. The issue is when you have already upgraded your PS4 HDD to say 2TB, then want to remove the 1TB HDD in the PS4pro and replace it with your old 2TB HDD. That's when things get complicated. 

Judging by http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Replace_a_PS4_Hard_Drive , sounds like simply replacing the hard drive is also a bit of work, comparatively speaking...

I think just plugging in an external hdd and BAM, being DONE with the need for more storage space altogether is preferable.

Plug-and-done.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Two days of FF XV in November. FF XV PS4's will seal an already sealed deal.

Why, again, are we solely focusing on English speaking markets? The PS4 is still outselling the Xbox One by a large margin worldwide. 

EDIT: Ughh, I'm a bit embarassed that I replied to this thread. Carry on, everyone else :)

Around the Network
Rob5VGC said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Two days of FF XV in November. FF XV PS4's will seal an already sealed deal.

This is definitely one of the reasons why Sony will have December in the bag. Their sales in Japan will skyrocket as Japan is pro Sony.

I think most users are upgrading their Xbone to S version. Most users upgrading the PS4 will get a PS4P not the new slim version and since PS4P released only this month. Xbone got a head start. Another reason could be gears4 and FH3. Although these games are available on PC? But still that probably made little bit of difference as well. So it is doing well in the US for past 3months. Overall though PS4 is still ahead inspite these factors

Few countries does not mean it is outselling. Pointless thread

OP you should learn to count. X1 hasn't been ahead, do we just disregard every non english speaking country now?

The PS4 is outselling the Xbox One.

/thread