By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch can play every 4K Scorpio/PS4 Pro game above 720p. Basic maths.

4K = 720p x8+ (8.3M pixels V 0.92M pixels)

6TF = 0.75TF x8

4K PS4 Pro games could be played at 900p. (x5.8 pixels v 5.6 power)

1080p PS4 games could run at 720p. (x2.2 pixels v x2.4 power)

Even a 4K game on a 7TF PS5 could be run by Switch at 720p (x9) or a 12TF PS5 could be played at 720p upscaled from 540p. (x16 pixels v x16 power)

This assumes that the Scorpio will actually be able to play native 4K games which might not be possible looking at this thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222629&page=1

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Seems an odd title. If you can play something at 4k, then by definition you are playing above 720,

Also first switch would have to get those games. It certainly get all the games, so "every" is a an odd use.

Whatever the PS4P/Scorpio can play at 4K resolution, Switch will also be able to play at a lower but still respectable 720p resolution.

Basic maths is hard. Also I believe it's more complicated than altering the output. Resolution is mostly just a VRAM thing.

Pyro as Bill said:
Bandorr said:
Seems an odd title. If you can play something at 4k, then by definition you are playing above 720,

Also first switch would have to get those games. It certainly get all the games, so "every" is a an odd use.

Whatever the PS4P/Scorpio can play at 4K resolution, Switch will also be able to play at a lower but still respectable 720p resolution.

No. In a lot of cases, performance is probably about much more than just resolution. A single bottleneck in some area could cripple the performance. A device is just as strong as its weakest area. Judging by the rumors, RAM could well be the biggest issue.

Also, native 4k AAA games are going to be rare this gen, I'm guessing.

Bandorr said:
Pyro as Bill said:

That seems very odd reason to make a thread. Also it doesn't seem like a selling point.

Did you actually make a thread saying anything playable on 4k.. the switch can do in 720?

I would certaintly hope that the switch can do games at least 720 at this point. 480p Zelda would be quite odd..

I think 720p portability is a major selling point. The small screen make the graphics difference narrower too.

Making a high res game isn't difficult. Nintendo could make an 8K game if they wanted, making it look pretty would be the difficult part.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I think 720p portability is a major selling point. The small screen make the graphics difference narrower too.

Making a high res game isn't difficult. Nintendo could make an 8K game if they wanted, making it look pretty would be the difficult part.

720p is good for a hand held. It isn't even that bad on a TV.

But if the game is a native 4k - people are going to watch to experience that you know.. at 4k.

Assuming the switch even gets ports of native 4k games. Which I currently, really, really, really doubt. I'd say almost all "native" 4k games are going to be exclusive to their system. So if the switch wants native 4k games they are better off just having Nintendo make them.

4K games won't be exclusive at all. The Switch will get 'ports of 4K games'. I expect FIFA '19 will run in 4K on the PS5/Scorpio. The Switch version won't or it will but at 2 FPS. It's more likely to run at 720p though.

Nintendo is ignoring the 4K gimmick and focussing on portable multiplayer instead. Sony/MS appear to want 4K to be the new HD so I suspect developers will be encouraged to add 4K even if it's only 2.5K upscaled to 4K.

I don't see why 3rd parties would risk developing for Scorpio when a Nintendo portable console is a much safer bet.

Ok, now even I regret that we taught peasants the word FLOPS.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Ok, now even I regret that we taught peasants the word FLOPS.

To be honest, most of them still haven't learned: they still think it's FLOP (without the 'S').

Pyro as Bill said:

And you're ignoring the entire CPU side of the equation, and RAM side of the equation BECAUSE...????
But it appears somebody already brought up similar concerns, yet you ignored them as well (posting several times after them).
So it would be silly to expect a response now, I guess.  Diverging from your silly "I win!" brain-fart isn't as fun.
(and isn't as reduceable to "basic maths")

someone tell me this is a joke thread.

anyways, if 4k is a gimmick, then why even bother with 720p a all? they could have just stuck to 480p.

And why third parties would risk developing for scorpio/PS4pro? This one is simple....

Because by the Switch's first holiday season, there will be a combined install base of well over 100M consoles between the PS4 and XB1. Shocking I know, unless of course devs somehow forget that making a game for the PS4pro and scorpio also means that the game runs on the PS4 and XB1.

How many switches do you think would be in gamers hands by then?