By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [4K] Watch Dogs 2 runs worst on ps4 pro than ps4 - First Look/Analysis DIgital Foudry

Zekkyou said:
Mafioso said:

If developers are to blame , and not the hardware....

Naughty Dog has also under delivered with PS4 Pro . Aside The Last of Us , Uncharted 4 drops to 25 fps on the Pro as well, at 1440p (not even at a higher taxing resolution) so we see no improvement on the original in this regard.

The Pro is supposed to stand for a better experience over the OG PS4.

Not even getting a locked 30 fps on a 'premium console' from a top developer is nothing but disappointing, unsure how anyone can disagree here.

While i am disappointed by UC4 running at 1440p, I don't see an issue with the frame-rate. ND have always been open to a degree of frame-rate variability in their games. Drops in UC4 aren't at all common, but in instances where they believe pushing the physics (or at least giving the player the option too) adds to the experience, they're fine with some mild drops. The Pro could be 10tf and ND would likely still maintain that design philosophy. It's fine for someone to disagree with that philosophy, but that's a different point of discussion to the one at hand.

As for why it runs at 1440p, it seems like time was an issue for ND. They were working on 4 different performance profiles at once (1800pC/60fps + 4k/30fps/2xShadows for TLOU, and 1440p/30fps + 1080p/60fps for UC4's SP and MP), and it appears they were originally targeting a higher resolution for UC4's SP too (DF think 1800pC). In general it seems like they tried to get too much done in too little time.

Anyway, i'd personally recommend holding off judgement. While i think people are justified in being disappointed with Sony (i am too; they should be more rigorous in enforcing their performance policy), these issues being hardware related is unlikely. It's simply too linear an upgrade. The biggest issue developers should be facing is coming to terms with the different relative spec balance, which changes where bottlenecks will turn up (that being an experience problem). Even then though, most developers appear to be fine. It's only a minority of Pro titles showing issues, and in most instances the issues are 'small and fleeting' (to paraphrase DF). In most instances Pro versions have been fine, with a few instances of games actually exceeding expectations. CoD:IW being one such title is certainly surprising

Around the Network

From what I can see, the easy upgrade to Pro version is evidently not so easy. I wonder if the bandwidth is the key and that even though the Pro has a stronger GPU, we are limited by memory and bus bandwidth and thus there is a lot more optimization required to get the Pro benefits.

The 200ish bucks I spent to upgrade to Pro, been worth it, so far a couple issues in games.

I have been trying quite a few games on a slim and a pro, the "issues" would never been observed unless you were looking for them and had raw data showing slower fps etc.

On the flip side, the better graphics and more details you can see with pro version with 4k or 1080 tv does not compare to slim and you do not even need them side by side to see the difference.

Of course this thread is about WD2 but it derailed, not bought this game, because its Ubisoft, and well screw parity and lazy. Will pick it up used soon.

Machiavellian said:
From what I can see, the easy upgrade to Pro version is evidently not so easy. I wonder if the bandwidth is the key and that even though the Pro has a stronger GPU, we are limited by memory and bus bandwidth and thus there is a lot more optimization required to get the Pro benefits.

Not so easy... Except nobody except Ubi has had this problem, which they are apparently fixing in patch.
Not so easy... Except other devs are releasing games with MULTIPLE Pro modes prioritising res, FX, fps.

Sony just needs to put their foot down and say,
If you can't meet our basic, straightforward requirements for 1080p/same or higher FPS,
then don't release a version with higher res/fx which later needs to be patched to meet the requirements,
instead release a lower resolution (1080p or 1440p etc) version and later patch it for better resolution/fx.
Literally the only dev that is having problems with the basic req is Ubi.
Ubi doesn't deserve special immunity from Sony's rules, which only mocks the effort and talent of devs who follow the rules.

EDIT: To be fair, it is not talent of Ubi programmers at issue, as seen by them supposedly fixing issue in patch rather quickly,
what is at issue is Ubi management which thinks it fine to release games which haven't met minimum performance spec.
This isn't corner-case bugs discovered some time after release, it is immediateley apparent violation of MINIMUM Sony spec.

Sony needs to tell Ubi that if it releases games that do not meet minimum spec, 
it will need to refund customers' money AND deliver them a fully spec compliant game ASAP.
If that is what it takes for Ubi management to take basic performance seriously.

mutantsushi said:
Machiavellian said:

Not so easy... Except nobody except Ubi has had this problem, which they are apparently fixing in patch.
Not so easy... Except other devs are releasing games with MULTIPLE Pro modes prioritising res, FX, fps.

Sony just needs to put their foot down and say,
If you can't meet our basic, straightforward requirements for 1080p/same or higher FPS,
then don't release a version with higher res/fx which later needs to be patched to meet the requirements,
instead release a lower resolution (1080p or 1440p etc) version and later patch it for better resolution/fx.
Literally the only dev that is having problems with the basic req is Ubi.
Ubi doesn't deserve special immunity from Sony's rules, which only mocks the effort and talent of devs who follow the rules.

EDIT: To be fair, it is not talent of Ubi programmers at issue, as seen by them supposedly fixing issue in patch rather quickly,
what is at issue is Ubi management which thinks it fine to release games which haven't met minimum performance spec.
This isn't corner-case bugs discovered some time after release, it is immediateley apparent violation of MINIMUM Sony spec.

Sony needs to tell Ubi that if it releases games that do not meet minimum spec, 
it will need to refund customers' money AND deliver them a fully spec compliant game ASAP.
If that is what it takes for Ubi management to take basic performance seriously.

Ubisoft aren't the only ones, a few other developers have run into similar problems. It's only a minority overall, and i personally think it's likely just teething problems relating to the different relative spec balance (or i guess more precisely, i think deadlines stopped a few developers getting 100% to terms with that change), but it's still not just Ubisoft.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

Didn't answer my question. If you think the Scorpio is going to launch problem free, you're dreaming. I'm sure you'll be in threads excusing it, though. 

And yes, if we were hearing rumors of the PS4 and XBO in 2012, we're going to be hearing them in 2018 for PS5 and XB2, if there is one. Most likely just a few months after the Scorpio's launch. That's called late to the party, regardless of specs.

Probably because you didn't ask a question. Making a statement you assume to be true ("if you think Scorpio blah blah") isn't asking a question at all. Hope that helps. As for the bolded, I am sure you'll be in threads making huge deals about them, where as here they are just "launch issues".

If you're talking silly Internet rumors, we already get those. If you're talking concrete information, nah, 2018 is too early imho, what with Sony just two years off a new console, and MS only one. Either way, if Sony starts talking PS4 that early, that's fine with me. I'll buy a powerful PS5 and then a year or so later a more powerful Xbox. I am fine with that pattern :)