By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [4K] Watch Dogs 2 runs worst on ps4 pro than ps4 - First Look/Analysis DIgital Foudry

SWORDF1SH said:
KLXVER said:
I understand if the game doesn't run better or look way better on the Pro since developers doesn't have to take advantage of it, but a game running or looking worse shouldn't be happening at all.

Yep, if it runs worse then the Pro version needs to be blocked. Sony need to put their foot down no matter how big the game is. It'll just make their product look bad and you'll have fanboys all over the forums saying "Sony released it too early". Or some shit like that. It's bad enough the fanboys letting Phil and Aaron whisper sweet nothings into their ears about how super amazing the Scorpio is going to be. There's going to be disappointment when they realise it isn't that much better and they'll have to pay $250 more for the privilege.

Definitely agree with you on the Scorpio bit.  MS is going to be late to the party.  I give it ~6 months after it launches before we start hearing whispers about next gen.  I know I'd be pissed if I spent $399-$499 for an upgraded XBO, only to learn a few months later MS is planning to release the XB2 in a year or so.  At least the Pro is truly mid-gen.  You should have 2 1/2-3 years on that before the PS5 launches.

While I do agree Sony needs to address the very few games that dip ~10 frames or more, I'm sure when they talk about the same performance, they have a tolerance built in.  I mean, for the majority of these drops they have been 2-3 frames in certain areas.  And this is with it running at a much higher res with better effects and (sometimes) higher res textures.  This goes for 1080p mode, too, as it's the same thing, only downscaled to still give the advantages plus better AA.  That's nothing for an actual gamer without an agenda to get worked up about and will go completely unnoticed by anyone without a frame counter.

Around the Network
Mafioso said:
Just hearing about FF XV's frame pacing issues in HQ mode too. Add in Skyrim, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, The Last of Us, and now Watch Dogs 2...something is amiss with the experience of going Pro.

You know FF XV isn't out yet right?Post the link with the frame pacing issues with the "Demo" 

vivster said:
Faelco said:
So... Ubisoft did a bad job with optimization in their new game? What's new here?

The new thing is that it goes against Sony's promise. They promised that developers are not allowed to make the game run worse in pro mode.

This is the gist of it. 

thismeintiel said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Yep, if it runs worse then the Pro version needs to be blocked. Sony need to put their foot down no matter how big the game is. It'll just make their product look bad and you'll have fanboys all over the forums saying "Sony released it too early". Or some shit like that. It's bad enough the fanboys letting Phil and Aaron whisper sweet nothings into their ears about how super amazing the Scorpio is going to be. There's going to be disappointment when they realise it isn't that much better and they'll have to pay $250 more for the privilege.

Definitely agree with you on the Scorpio bit.  MS is going to be late to the party.  I give it ~6 months after it launches before we start hearing whispers about next gen.  I know I'd be pissed if I spent $399-$499 for an upgraded XBO, only to learn a few months later MS is planning to release the XB2 in a year or so.  At least the Pro is truly mid-gen.  You should have 2 1/2-3 years on that before the PS5 launches.

While I do agree Sony needs to address the very few games that dip ~10 frames or more, I'm sure when they talk about the same performance, they have a tolerance built in.  I mean, for the majority of these drops they have been 2-3 frames in certain areas.  And this is with it running at a much higher res with better effects and (sometimes) higher res textures.  This goes for 1080p mode, too, as it's the same thing, only downscaled to still give the advantages plus better AA.  That's nothing for an actual gamer without an agenda to get worked up about and will go completely unnoticed by anyone without a frame counter.

A few frames isn't anything to complain about but when the Pro version tares and the base version doesn't, that pretty bad. 

SweetTalia said:
celador said:
You are not disappointed, you like it and think it speaks badly of the Pro, but it's on the dev.

But if it makes you feel better about your console of choice getting curbstomped, all the power to you

Believe it or not many PS4 pro owners are disappointed..hence over at neogaf..btw your comment sounds like you are very upset..I'm sorry this hurts you.

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

This is funny since me and my bro both love the Pro and have no issues, but the games we are playing run very well. So no compaints here and that is all that matters to me. I am satisfied and can't wait for more games. Ubisoft's games always run like crap regardless of the platform though, but nice try.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Basically and lol@ someone saying they are hearing, well I am actually playing. I have both TLoU:R and Deus Ex MD and I have had no issues with either. Rise of The Tomb Raider looks incredible compared to the standard PS4 and runs well in 60fps. I did not notice any major performance issues with any of the games I have that support Pro and niether has my brother. I am not looking to nit pick or have an agenda either. I am just enjoying the games on the only console that has 4K gaming and enchanced specs.

GribbleGrunger said:

It's interesting that after three years of 'not noticing' framerate drops, tearing and lower resolutions, it suddenly becomes a terrible thing. Thank God the internet is only a tiny representation of gamers.

Exactly man, this is so funny and you can tell who does not have the Pro. TR runs really great on the system and TLoU is like a whole new experience. I am glad that I am not a Sony hater or else I would be missing out.

SWORDF1SH said:
thismeintiel said:

A few frames isn't anything to complain about but when the Pro version tares and the base version doesn't, that pretty bad. 

Agreed.  Granted, this is the only game I have heard of that does this, so I think it's safe to assume Ubisoft fucked up in some way.  I'm sure it'll be patched. 

Sony might want to think about having a basic 1080p mode, with no advantages over the base.  At least this way they can immediately avoid vids like this.  It'll run exactly like the base system, without the downscaling and better AA.  Just have four modes as a standard.  1080p Base, 1080p High, 4K Low, 4K High.

Yay! I got mine 4 days ago. Still in the box. Returning it tomorrow. I'm one of the biggest PS fanboys on this site. Easy. But I have no tolerance for nonsense. There are 2 acceptable options for me as far as the existing PS4 library, and all future games are concerned: They run AS GOOD as they did originally, or BETTER. That's what my money is going towards. No iffy bullshit. I have a massive backlog, don't need to be second guessing if my new, more powerful system will be gimping whatever game I choose to play, and will be fine, more than fine, with playing it on the "vanilla" PS4 until such time as this is ironed out. I don't give a shit who's "fault" it is either. That's for Sony and the dev/publisher to figure out.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

As expected. More hardware profiles to optimize for, less optimization overall. Smallest user base gets the least attention. No need to act surprised.

Not everything scales the same nor linearly. Certain near bottlenecks on ps4 can get amplified by the resolution boost and become a problem while most of the game runs fine in higher resolution. It might be little work to enable 'pro' mode rendering, it's just as much work to thoroughly test the whole game to weed out the bottlenecks and streamline those areas.