By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [4K] Watch Dogs 2 runs worst on ps4 pro than ps4 - First Look/Analysis DIgital Foudry

SvennoJ said:
As expected. More hardware profiles to optimize for, less optimization overall. Smallest user base gets the least attention. No need to act surprised.

Not everything scales the same nor linearly. Certain near bottlenecks on ps4 can get amplified by the resolution boost and become a problem while most of the game runs fine in higher resolution. It might be little work to enable 'pro' mode rendering, it's just as much work to thoroughly test the whole game to weed out the bottlenecks and streamline those areas.

A 1080p mode would literal fix this problem. Just as I'm seen I'm Tomb Raider etc 

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
As expected. More hardware profiles to optimize for, less optimization overall. Smallest user base gets the least attention. No need to act surprised.

Not everything scales the same nor linearly. Certain near bottlenecks on ps4 can get amplified by the resolution boost and become a problem while most of the game runs fine in higher resolution. It might be little work to enable 'pro' mode rendering, it's just as much work to thoroughly test the whole game to weed out the bottlenecks and streamline those areas.

To be fair, this is Ubisoft. They don't know the meaning of the word optimization. They can't even optimize a game for a single platform or mode. Still I expected Sony to put their convictions before the money this time and tell Ubisoft to fuck off until they fixed the stuff.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

ofcorse if u put 4k mode on. 

aren't these types of issues norm when there is a new console is out? granted its the same architecture, but still codes need to be optimized for rendering at high res. And now I m used to hearing the news of Ubisoft games having performance issues at launch.

Skimming through this thread is pretty interesting, there must be a good dozen or so posts that basically read "lol you have an Xbox, so get out of here and shut up" and the mods are apparently cool with this for the most part.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Skimming through this thread is pretty interesting, there must be a good dozen or so posts that basically read "lol you have an Xbox, so get out of here and shut up" and the mods are apparently cool with this for the most part.

You can already feel that people go into defense mode a lot now but the same were very vocal to point out differences between XBO and PS4 (remember the "grassgate"? Yes, that was fun to observe).

Either way, it's not the only game that has some problems on the Pro and it's no wonder - it's asymmetric in its power difference to the standard PS4. Bandwidth and CPU can't really keep up with the bump in the specs Sony went for the GPU.

DF says that they think it's a bandwidth issue and we know that the bandwidth also was a slight problem in PS4. First, the bandwidth was way less than the maximum that was spread out on forums and that Sony advertised and it was even worse the more the CPU also wanted to access the RAM. Tearing and dropped frames shouldn't happen on a console advertised as "Pro".

Of course this could also mean Ubisoft is to blame (and of course many do because of obvious reasons) but Cerny said it takes only so little time to make a Pro version off a PS4 version - there should be enough headroom to easily outdo the PS4 version which it can't in this case.

Lol i find your concerns very genuine.

thismeintiel said:
SWORDF1SH said:

A few frames isn't anything to complain about but when the Pro version tares and the base version doesn't, that pretty bad. 

Agreed.  Granted, this is the only game I have heard of that does this, so I think it's safe to assume Ubisoft fucked up in some way.  I'm sure it'll be patched. 

Sony might want to think about having a basic 1080p mode, with no advantages over the base.  At least this way they can immediately avoid vids like this.  It'll run exactly like the base system, without the downscaling and better AA.  Just have four modes as a standard.  1080p Base, 1080p High, 4K Low, 4K High.

• Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Hitman
  • Mantis Burn Racing
  • Skyrim Special Edition
  • The Last of Us Remastered
  • World of Final Fantasy

That's a known list from playstationlifesyle. Add WD2 to it. Will it gets worse before it gets better? Sorry for the font.

• - "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The base PS4 version isn't running great for many people.....but I guess people haven't researched "Watch Dogs 2 frame rates" to even know. When you do, y'all should post those links to show that PS Pro isn't the issue. It's obviously a CODING issue since the base PS4 can get worse.

Preston Scott

Thank god i didnt waste my money