By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Soraya Saga retweets Switch reveal for Jan 12.

Nuvendil said:
If Nintendo REALLY wants to start pushing XC as a franchise, an remaster set of the first two for Switch launching in 2017 coinciding with a teaser for the next XC could be a fantastic way to drum up attention as well as address technical issues with XCX and do XC some justice.

That would be quite the undertaking though, and I'm not sure how financially viable it would be, especially the work that would need to be done in the original XC (and because these series do little more than reference each other, unless there is some underlying connection they will eventually reveal). But hell, it would be an awesome thing to see done!

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Nuvendil said:
If Nintendo REALLY wants to start pushing XC as a franchise, an remaster set of the first two for Switch launching in 2017 coinciding with a teaser for the next XC could be a fantastic way to drum up attention as well as address technical issues with XCX and do XC some justice.

That would be quite the undertaking though, and I'm not sure how financially viable it would be, especially the work that would need to be done in the original XC (and because these series do little more than reference each other, unless there is some underlying connection they will eventually reveal). But hell, it would be an awesome thing to see done!

Not necessarily.  For XCX, it would only need to upres some textures and fix all the draw distance issues in NLA. 

XC would be a bigger undertaking, but not as big as it seems.  The folliage is surprisingly well done from a polygonal perspective as well as density.  Because of the techniques used for it, you could, again, mainly just increase texture resolution considerably.  Landscape polygonal detail is also pretty dang good.  Where the hard work would come in is smaller detail meshes (props, small structures, etc) and of course character models.  However, if the animations could still be used with the new models, that would save some time.  So it's still very much possible. 

DélioPT said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

That is not true. In Wii/DS era, Monolith Soft have two team. Team A made Xenoblade for Wii and Soma Bringers for DS. Team B made Dragon Ball Attack of The Saiyans, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - Endless Frontier, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - Endless Frontier EXCEED for DS and Disaster Days of Crisis for Wii. Team C(be expanded later) worked on Zelda Skyward Sword

I actually didn't know that.

Still, even if they had them during the Wii/DS era, they are probably gone. XC X probably started development after Xenoblade, which got released in 2011?
And so far they did assist on some Nintendo games, but that means that they don't have enough staff to develop two games like XC X in one generation. It's really too much for them.
That's why they need to increase their staff.

Nope, in Wii/DS era, they have ~80 peoples in two team. In Wii U/3DS era, they were still there and get expanded, have ~120 peoples in 3 team( A & B in Tokyo, C in Kyoto). Team A(~50 peoples)made Xenoblade X for Wii U, team B(~40 peoples) made Project X Zone 1 & 2 for 3DS, team C(~30 peoples) worked on Super Smash, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and other Nintendo games

Nuvendil said:
bigtakilla said:

Not necessarily.  For XCX, it would only need to upres some textures and fix all the draw distance issues in NLA. 

XC would be a bigger undertaking, but not as big as it seems.  The folliage is surprisingly well done from a polygonal perspective as well as density.  Because of the techniques used for it, you could, again, mainly just increase texture resolution considerably.  Landscape polygonal detail is also pretty dang good.  Where the hard work would come in is smaller detail meshes (props, small structures, etc) and of course character models.  However, if the animations could still be used with the new models, that would save some time.  So it's still very much possible. 

I thought there were more issues to porting than that which is why the NX isn't backwards compatible in any form. Could be an architectual barrier which makes it vastly harder.

HoangNhatAnh said:
DélioPT said:

I actually didn't know that.

Still, even if they had them during the Wii/DS era, they are probably gone. XC X probably started development after Xenoblade, which got released in 2011?
And so far they did assist on some Nintendo games, but that means that they don't have enough staff to develop two games like XC X in one generation. It's really too much for them.
That's why they need to increase their staff.

Nope, in Wii/DS era, they have ~80 peoples in two team. In Wii U/3DS era, they were still there and get expanded, have ~120 peoples in 3 team( A & B in Tokyo, C in Kyoto). Team A(~50 peoples)made Xenoblade X for Wii U, team B(~40 peoples) made Project X Zone 1 & 2 for 3DS, team C(~30 peoples) worked on Super Smash, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Splatoon and other Nintendo games

Where did you find that info? I checked wikipedia and it showed none of that. Actually, it said they have 94 employees.
That page is seriously outdated.

That paints a better picture now.
That being, seeing as Switch will be their main focus, i hope/believe they will be able to develop 2 games, at least, per generation.

Thanks for the info!

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Nuvendil said:

I thought there were more issues to porting than that which is why the NX isn't backwards compatible in any form. Could be an architectual barrier which makes it vastly harder.

The biggest problem in porting is how integrated the game code is with the engine and how much of that engine was customized just for that game. The less integrated the code and the less customized the engine they had the easier it is port. Because unlike in the past where the game engine was remade for each and every game, the engines now a days are made to be a layer that stand inbetween the console and game code, so at its most basic all porting is divorcing the gamecode from an engine that is made for one machine and coupling it with an engine made for another machine. So half the battle for console makers with the third party is making a case in getting their tools (engines) made for their machines.

DélioPT said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Where did you find that info? I checked wikipedia and it showed none of that. Actually, it said they have 94 employees.
That page is seriously outdated.

That paints a better picture now.
That being, seeing as Switch will be their main focus, i hope/believe they will be able to develop 2 games, at least, per generation.

Thanks for the info!

You can see the list of games they worked on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Soft. That page don't have all information though. All information i get is from Monolith Soft fan in neogaf

BlkPaladin said:
bigtakilla said:

The biggest problem in porting is how integrated the game code is with the engine and how much of that engine was customized just for that game. The less integrated the code and the less customized the engine they had the easier it is port. Because unlike in the past where the game engine was remade for each and every game, the engines now a days are made to be a layer that stand inbetween the console and game code, so at its most basic all porting is divorcing the gamecode from an engine that is made for one machine and coupling it with an engine made for another machine. So half the battle for console makers with the third party is making a case in getting their tools (engines) made for their machines.

Then you have to take into account they'd have to change certain things to make the touch screen implimentation accessible for non touch screen gaming. It would be VERY unintuitive and a huge barrier, especially for end game content.

DélioPT said:
Wyrdness said:

They're a utility studio as well so they aid in other first party projects like Smash and Zelda.

They helped in Smash too? Did not know that...

Still, they can and should get big enough to at least develop 2 games per generation.
Them helping out Nintendo shouldn't stop them from doing that.

It's like Retro: talented but not efficient enough.

Not the Xeno team or main studio. Monolith has the main studio in Tokyo then a B studio in Kyoto and that one helps on Zelda and Smash and Mario Kart

I hope its not true. A Xenosaga remake on Switch would make me buy more hardware I don't want.