By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PlayStation has become "dull"

What was the most exciting Playstation era?

Playstation 1 87 23.77%

Playstation 2 154 42.08%

Playstation 3 47 12.84%

I think Playstation 4 wil... 78 21.31%

Total:366
BraLoD said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Your joking  right? 

Has to be.

I could agree with his first paragraph, yeah, even with big franchises on their portifolio, first party was never the main drive for consumers to buy PS system, that's on third parties, since the PS1 the developers flocked to develop for it, and it was what made it the most attractive system out there.

But from there on... yeah, I know opinions go anywhere, but I strongly disagree with it, neither Sony is decadent and suffering (sales are in a huge rise) much less it lacks talent (my whole top 4 all time games are first party Sony studios games, and Japan Studios is by far the most creavite studio from any big gaming company out there).

That's indeed the part where i thought "wtf!" Sony has some of the best and creative teams in gaming.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
FFVII REMAKE!! Enough said.

Timed exclusive. Most likely as compensation because Sony lost exclusivity of FF Versus when Square changed the name to XV

If you're not into open world games, TPS and FPS this generation is going to be quite dull. All they can do is try to push each genre and Horizon looks like its going to push the TPS genre.

What I understand from the OP is "Popular games are similar, so developers are dull". Your argument should rather lead to "broad audience is dull". Try to play other games than AAAA ultra popular FPS games, and you'll see that there is a lot of other games and other genres, especially on Playstation: a lot of smaller Japanese developers are anything but dull.

Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 look pretty realistic to me aswell ;)

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Well, I'd argue first party software has never been Sony's strength. It's made its name by creating an environment attractive to third parties. Same for Microsoft.

Since neither Sony nor Microsoft have a lot of talent in their first party studios they're both dependent on the quality of games from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Take Two, etc. Those big-name games have been getting worse over the last ten years so both ecosystems suffer as a result.

Nintendo, with its amazing first party content, is somewhat shielded from that problem.

The problem unique to Sony is that it's made cinematic and experimental games its focus over the past two generations, which tend to have low replay value and/or shallow gameplay.

So I agree that Sony has entered a decadent period, but so too has the entire industry.

Your joking  right? 

Has to be.

Talent may be the wrong word. I'm sure the folks at Guerrilla, Bend, Media Molecule, and Naughty Dog are talented at what they do, whether programming or art design or whatever.

But in my opinion Sony's first party offerings have been in decline since the PS2/early PS3 days. I look at Sony's games since 2009 and I see a whole lot of mediocrity. There are a lot of pretty-looking and experimental games, yes, but not a lot of great ones. There are exceptions, of course: The Last of Us, Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048. But in general I'd say PlayStation systems in 2016 are best used for third-party-developed games, whether multiplat or exclusive.

Sameness is a disease of the whole industry beginning with the mid 7th gen. It is why I haven't even touched a PS4 for more than an hour so far - almost nothing good came out on anything gen8 yet - 10 games perhaps, indies excluded.

Mind you, Playstation was never ever fp dominant.

PS1 is the best ofcorse. Resident Evil 1-3, Final Fantasi 7-9 + Tons of other great horror games like silent hill 1, parasite eve and so on.

PS2 is just sequels and boring 3d graphics. 

I disagree because it hasn't happened yet.
I agree because it is "happening" or is going to happen, once both TLG and GR2 are out the door. Expect that to be the last glimmer of unique brilliance to come from Sony studios for at least some years (aside from the occasional Santa-Monica supported indie like Bound and such)
It's extremely ironic because ICO inspired TLOU and TLOU is partly (because no one thing is ever fully responsible) to blame for what's happening to Sony studios
Thankfully third parties will be the saving grace

What if you loved Guns N Roses in the 90's. They were your favorite band. But over the years, Izzy and Dizzy left. Duff died and Slash retired. All of them slowly replaced by someone else. At what point do we acknowledge that it isn't the same group, anymore?

That is how I feel about Nintendo. Yes, I still love them but slowly they have evolved into something that isn't the Nintendo I grew up with. They're more like a Nintendo tribute band, at this point. The best damn Nintendo cover band you could hope for, but not quite Nintendo.