By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Opinions on ps pro so far?

I got to play a few more games since yesterday, so I'll post my updated impressions here (note: I only have a 1080p and a 1080p digital projector). 

Ratchet & Clank: Holy hell, this game looks magnificent. It was already a great looking game before, but now everything is pristine and gorgeous. Definitely the best looking game I've tested so far (though others have better improvements, due to their improvement on performance). 

Shadow of Mordor: The game is definitely much sharper. In fact, it's so sharp that it seems to hurt my eyes. I know this sounds silly, but both times I tried playing this last night it made my eyes ache and my head hurt. That's probably more to do with me than the game, however, as it definitely looks cleaner and sharper. 

Infamous First Light: A beautiful game made more...well, beautiful, and it also runs much more smoothly. Like Tomb Raider, it includes an option for higher framerates, though unlike with Tomb Raider, I actually prefer the higher resolution mode, though there is a noticeable difference in smoothness between the two. Very clean image, sharper than before, and more vibrant. 

Uncharted 4: Since the game already looked so good before, it's a bit harder to spot the differences in story mode. It all looks very sharp and crisp, but it did before as well. Multiplayer, however, has received a clear resolution boost and looks much better than before. 

Around the Network

Ratchet & Clank looks and plays great, but it already looked and played great on my old PS4. 

But the slowdowns when collecting huge amounts of bolts and/or going crazy with the Rhino are gone:

View on YouTube

KBG29 said:
Conina said:

That is interesting because DriveClub VR + Until Dawn: Rush of Blood haven't got Pro patches yet. Was the Pro mode already in the first version? I'll have to check them out, didn't bother because of the lack of patches.

I waited a while for the same reason, started getting really mad that Sony had seemingly dropped the ball, but since I had the VR on and tried Battlezone, I jumped in the other two and was pleasently surprised. Would love to hear what you think about them.

Okay, after testing DriveClub VR + Until Dawn: Rush of Blood I think you and SvennoJ are wrong in these cases. They look the same to me as on PS4... perhaps you played other levels/tracks of these games than before which looked a bit better than the other ones or it is the Placebo effect.

I'll wait for the next patches.

d21lewis said:

It should be here any moment, now. Amazon.com says mine is "out for delivery".

I'll have to go through the process of installing a new HDD but after that:

-I'll own two PS4s. One connected to a 1080p HDTV and one connected to a 4K HDR UHDTV
-I own several games (both physically and digitally) that are getting the update treatment.
-I own a PSVR and about half a dozen games. A few are getting patched.
-I also use Remote play on my laptop, PC, (I gave my Vita to my daughter but i still have a...) PSTV. I also use Remote Play on my Xbox One via PC and laptop.

I'll be able to give a pretty comprehensive comparison except for two things:
1. I have to go to work tonight from 6pm-6am
2. I'm a lazy, lazy man. I'll test a lot of things but I'm not sure if I'll get around to posting about it in a timely manner.

daddy how is it? did you try it yet?

dont have a ps4... should i get the pro or the original?

One X in the box:

https://de.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlayStation+4+Pro+Teardown/72946

Around the Network
Conina said:
KBG29 said:

I waited a while for the same reason, started getting really mad that Sony had seemingly dropped the ball, but since I had the VR on and tried Battlezone, I jumped in the other two and was pleasently surprised. Would love to hear what you think about them.

Okay, after testing DriveClub VR + Until Dawn: Rush of Blood I think you and SvennoJ are wrong in these cases. They look the same to me as on PS4... perhaps you played other levels/tracks of these games than before which looked a bit better than the other ones or it is the Placebo effect.

Odd, I could have sworn it looked better. I play DC VR every day, but true not the same tracks. If not improved yet than all the better, more room for improvement. I'll compare the two side by side tonight to make sure.

aikohualda said:
d21lewis said:

It should be here any moment, now. Amazon.com says mine is "out for delivery".

I'll have to go through the process of installing a new HDD but after that:

-I'll own two PS4s. One connected to a 1080p HDTV and one connected to a 4K HDR UHDTV
-I own several games (both physically and digitally) that are getting the update treatment.
-I own a PSVR and about half a dozen games. A few are getting patched.
-I also use Remote play on my laptop, PC, (I gave my Vita to my daughter but i still have a...) PSTV. I also use Remote Play on my Xbox One via PC and laptop.

I'll be able to give a pretty comprehensive comparison except for two things:
1. I have to go to work tonight from 6pm-6am
2. I'm a lazy, lazy man. I'll test a lot of things but I'm not sure if I'll get around to posting about it in a timely manner.

daddy how is it? did you try it yet?

dont have a ps4... should i get the pro or the original?

All I can comment on is what I've done so far.

-swapped HDDs. Put a 2tb in the Pro and put the Pro's 1tb in the original.

-tried to install update 4.05 into the Pro. Was pleasantly surprised to find out that my USB device couldn't physically fit in the Pro because the USB ports inexplicably in a thin ass sections of the Pro, wedged between two thicker sections. USB cables are fine. Memory devices may have a harder time.

- Found a thinner USB drive. Eventually got both PS4s up and running. Began the process of downloading over a TB of games on both consoles.

-Fumbled with the settings on the Pro. Disconnected the PSVR and marveled at the beauty of the HDR  setting. The home screen never looked so good!

-Downloaded my saves from the cloud. I'll discuss this at a later time....

-Tossed in my disc of Uncharted 4. Didn't install the update, yet. Still looked noticeably better then ever. Was it the new TV? The Pro? BOTH!?! Can't wait to see what it looks like after the update is complete.

-Slept. Came to work.

And if you get one and you have a good enough display, GET THE PRO. It's a noticeable improvement, even in the way it's built.

Well my pro story started badly, amazon were meant to delivery yesterday, said out for delivery, but nothing by 10pm, rang them up, told me i would have to wait until friday.

Friday comes and then i get a message from amazon saying though it was out for delivery, it was actually lost in transit. I cancelled straight away and reserved it at argos, cost me 20 quid more, but i didnt care at that point. Got it and now facing a late night installing lots of things :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Conina said:
KBG29 said:

Swapping back and forth (pita with all the cables lol), it runs slightly better on the pro, but you are right, I can't find it objectively looking better. Perhaps the headset tracking is more stable on the pro, or the reprojection, yet actual image quality seems the exact same.

Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSbKmBU6mQ

Ps4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6YebjuSDzo

And yeah I had been doing a bunch of night races the night before which look significantly worse. Tried them on the pro, seems to be the same amount of flicker going on with the lamp posts and distant scenery. Back to waiting for the patch

Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idUwn72xRyw

Ps4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeOzK_uueDY

I thought the pro was supposed to record in 1080p. I'm still getting 720p videos although video capture is set to 1080p in the settings. Perhaps it's limited for VR. (Video recording stops too when you switch away from the game)
Plus the social screen seems to favor the top of the screen (on both), cutting off the bottom to make it 16:9. Viewpoint seems much lower in the headset. It would be nice if you could configure what it captures.

Now I did not imagine the 120 fps in TrackMania, that was an actual patch ofcourse.

One thing I noticed this morning on the Pro that I didn't notice on the regular PS4--when I was navigating the menu screen with the PSVR connected, the audio that accompanies any menu navigation was a little off. I think it was like a second behind. After connecting the Pro straight to the TV, the problem went away. *Shrugs*

Haven't tried playing an actual game with the PSVR connected yet. Maybe it's an issue. Maybe it's not.