By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Opinions on ps pro so far?

Id like to see some screenshots.
from the 1080p output from ps4 and 1080 from pro.
someone?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
One thing I noticed this morning on the Pro that I didn't notice on the regular PS4--when I was navigating the menu screen with the PSVR connected, the audio that accompanies any menu navigation was a little off. I think it was like a second behind. After connecting the Pro straight to the TV, the problem went away. *Shrugs*

Haven't tried playing an actual game with the PSVR connected yet. Maybe it's an issue. Maybe it's not.

Didn't notice that, i've got all the menu sounds turned off. Going back and forth, making those couple videos, I did notice that going back to the menu in vr with a game running stays smooth on the pro, while it tends to make the menu and head movements stutter on the base version. It might depend on the game too, yet on the base version I was already adapting to always closing the game first.

Edit: Never mind. Depends on the game I guess. Returning to the menu on pro in vr stutters as well. You would think that with 2 cores reserved for the os that should not be a problem.

Bristow9091 said:
Ariakon said:

I got to play a few more games since yesterday, so I'll post my updated impressions here (note: I only have a 1080p and a 1080p digital projector). 

Ratchet & Clank: Holy hell, this game looks magnificent. It was already a great looking game before, but now everything is pristine and gorgeous. Definitely the best looking game I've tested so far (though others have better improvements, due to their improvement on performance). 

Shadow of Mordor: The game is definitely much sharper. In fact, it's so sharp that it seems to hurt my eyes. I know this sounds silly, but both times I tried playing this last night it made my eyes ache and my head hurt. That's probably more to do with me than the game, however, as it definitely looks cleaner and sharper. 

Infamous First Light: A beautiful game made more...well, beautiful, and it also runs much more smoothly. Like Tomb Raider, it includes an option for higher framerates, though unlike with Tomb Raider, I actually prefer the higher resolution mode, though there is a noticeable difference in smoothness between the two. Very clean image, sharper than before, and more vibrant. 

Uncharted 4: Since the game already looked so good before, it's a bit harder to spot the differences in story mode. It all looks very sharp and crisp, but it did before as well. Multiplayer, however, has received a clear resolution boost and looks much better than before. 

I keep coming back to this thread hoping you've posted more, since you have a Pro with a 1080p screen, and that's exactly what I have, so your opinions mean the most to me here... tried anything else yet? :)

I have Titanfall 2 and The Last of Us on download, but they're taking a while, since I've been trying to download a ton of other stuff as well.

Bristow9091 said:
Ariakon said:

I have Titanfall 2 and The Last of Us on download, but they're taking a while, since I've been trying to download a ton of other stuff as well.

Ah, you'll have to tell me how Titanfall 2 is, since I'm planning on buying it at some point... have you tried any games that don't have a Pro patch to see if they have any performance increases?

Not yet, I definitely need to do that. Will probably reinstall Overwatch and Dark Souls 3 tomorrow sometime. 

Trying to compare ps4 vs pro in psvr.
Screenshot function is woefully inadequate, yet you can still see some differences.

RIGS

More detail in the background, much more pronounced in the headset.

Bound. Apart from more detailed background, added lighting in the reconstructive scenes

Robinson: The journey

Much less aggressive lod in the pro version and detail resolves better.

It might not look like much is these scaled down compressed images, the difference is a lot bigger in the headset. Maybe DF can figure out a capture tool for VR. I'm also wondering how these screenshots are actually made. I thought the processing unit's job was to dewarp the image for the social screen. Yet how does the ps4 save that image. I guess it does a similar thing for video and screenshot capture. Seems rather inefficient.

Around the Network

I still say there is something going on in Driveclub. I don't know if it is the advanced HDMI port, the faster RAM, the SATA3 allowing better texture streaming,or something else in the Pro, but it definitly looks better. If Pro support was not built in and a patch is coming, then I am even more pleased.

Moving on, I bought a HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 splitter today to see if I can get 4K HDR and Wide Color suppport + VR without pulling cables every time. I will let everyone know if it works out or not tomorrow.

I played Battlefield 1, Call of Duty Infinate War & Modern Warfare, and Knack today. Dissapointingly, non of these titles support HDR. That is something I am absolutly livid about. HDR is the single biggest improvement in games right now, and the fact that non of these titles support it just pisses me off. I really hope that this is not going to be the case going forward, because I bought the HDR TV specifically because HDR was the first display improvement in in a decade that has impressed me, and I thought it was going to be the key feature for PS4 Pro titles.

Now, the titles that do support HDR, NBA 2K, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous SS & FL. These titles are on a whole nother level compaired to what we see from the above titles. Uncharted is absolutly stunning. The bump in res helps define the improvements that HDR brings. However, if you turn off HDR, it is almost impossible to see any difference between the PS4 and PS4 Pro versions of the game.

I really hope that going forward all new PS4 Pro titles will focus on HDR 1st and foremost. Otherwise, this whole thing was almost for nothing. Sure, things load faster. Sure, the OS is snappier, and the web browser is much smoother. But, at the end of the day I wanted this for the games, and right now, not even half of the supported titles are taking advantage of the one feature that can improve the experience.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

If that splitter works, I'll buy one today. Keep us posted

KBG29 said:

I really hope that going forward all new PS4 Pro titles will focus on HDR 1st and foremost. Otherwise, this whole thing was almost for nothing. Sure, things load faster. Sure, the OS is snappier, and the web browser is much smoother. But, at the end of the day I wanted this for the games, and right now, not even half of the supported titles are taking advantage of the one feature that can improve the experience.

If you're talking about HDR here, the Ps4 OG can output that as well.

weaveworld said:
KBG29 said:

If you're talking about HDR here, the Ps4 OG can output that as well.

I know, and Xbox One S. That is why I am so baffled that Titanfall, Call of Duty, and Battlefield all don't have HDR. With 47M PS4's and at least a couple million XBO's out there with HDR, I fully expected all AAA titles this holiday to support HDR. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I got one yesterday, i don't have a 4k tv but i tried the Japanese ffxv demo..... My God did that look amazing, it has pro support.