By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Bernie Sanders wouldn't have lost against Trump

Who should've run for president as democratic candidate?

Hillary Clinton 6 4.62%

Bernie Sanders 105 80.77%

Joe Biden 5 3.85%

Elizabeth Warren 2 1.54%

Bill Clinton 12 9.23%

Total:130

The title says it, Bernie Sanders would have won against Trump, if he had been the candidate of the Democrats. Here is my reasoning.

Back in the  time of the primaries Bernie Sanders had better polls in direct matchups against possible Republican candidates - including Trump. That can change over time, but take a look what happened after the primaries. Hillary Clinton ran in a series of problems, like E-Mail, rumors of health problems, E-Mail again, her husband. Nothing of this would have been true for Sanders. He had no scandals of the like. For some time in the presidential race either one (Clinton and Trump) lost votes if the news focused on them. Usually news coverage means increasing votes, but both candidates were that bad, that in this case news focus was bad for them. Think instead of Sanders, he would have talked about his programs and would have won votes instead.

Another point is, that Trump won over the rust belt and the workers there. A group Bernie Sanders could connect to. Trump would have had a much much harder time to win Pennsylvania, Ohio or the like against Sanders.

So, what do you think?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Honestly. I think thats true. Most of the millenials were behind Bernie and he had a huge movement. I don't think Hillary had anywhere near half of his millenial support

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

It's too bad no one is petitioning the DNC to get rid of superdelegates ...

Trump won because he was able to change the republican party from the inside out so that he could steer the party to the correct path even though neocons and the like hated him from the beginning ...

There should ALWAYS exist a feedback mechanism to change party leadership otherwise you get utter failures like Clinton ...

I bet a lot of Bernie supporters voted Trump tbh.

Well the DNC conspired against Trump so they only have themselves to blame. Now democrats should take this time to get the DNC back in line and Drain the swamp so to speak but they won't.

Around the Network

its over now nazis and rassists in the white house. (only a opionion from a typical german)

Panama said:
I bet a lot of Bernie supporters voted Trump tbh.

I can't imagine much of them voted Trump, but many might have been stayed away from voting or vote for Jill Stein.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

I can't imagine much of them voted Trump, but many might have been stayed away from voting or vote for Jill Stein.

A protest vote would've certainly motivated them to vote for Trump ... 

You can't be sure of anything. The fact is that democrat voters appeared really divided between pro-Hillary and pro-Bernie. A lot of pro-Bernie most likely didn't vote for Hillary, but a lot of pro-Hillary wouldn't have vote for Bernie either. Their programs and speeches were too different, they needed to work together against Trump. They didn't.

Ka-pi96 said:
Maybe, but he did lose against Clinton, unlike Trump

He took back a 60 point lead in about a year and got screwed from start to finish from the DNC and establishment media, not to mention superdelegates in the Clinton pocket. Closed primaries while he was winning easily the independent vote, closing voting poll stations

Yeah... he would have won easily if the DNC's corruption/stupidity didn't intervene