By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sales adjustment

750k on WiiU is not bad at all, is not a lot less than what the first one did on Ps3 and 360 and in this case the user base is way more little and not used to this kind of games.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
GoOnKid said:

My local store restocked like 8 copies and offers them for just 15€. Has been a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately nobody buys them :(

Yet games like NSMBU is over 5M. No wonder third parties are weary.

NSMBU is a phenomenal platformer. I mean, Bayo 2 deserved more sales, that's for sure. But it has a really though competition with Nintendo games. Also, it's a really niche game, so obviously it would never achieve NSMBU sucess, no matter how hard it tried.

Volterra_90 said:
KLXVER said:

NSMBU is a phenomenal platformer. I mean, Bayo 2 deserved more sales, that's for sure. But it has a really though competition with Nintendo games. Also, it's a really niche game, so obviously it would never achieve NSMBU sucess, no matter how hard it tried.

The point is that Nintendo can just throw together a simple 2D platformer and sell millions while big third party games struggle to reach 1 million. Say what you will about the quality of NSMBU, but Nintendo could make games like that in their sleep at this point.

GoOnKid said:

In case you haven't noticed, Bayonetta 2 sits at .75m units sold on this site. I swear the last time I checked it was at 1m. You know, I somehow had a feeling that it was overtracked a bit, but cutting off 25% is just... wow. There's surely some justification for this, but it's still quite a big adjustment.

Nonetheless, considering the sales of the Wii U, it did pretty amazing in relation to the first game. Platinum already said after a week that they were happy with the sales. I hope this leads us to Bayonetta 3.

It's really simple.

Many of these people you remember

Are the same as these people.

There are plenty of other games far worse tracked on VGC that people simply aren't obsessed with. We'll always have people whining about this game and its sales. There will likely be others in this thread will insist further that it has to be adjusted down again, but with minimal evidence to support that.

I for one found it odd the Bayonetta won the smash ballot in Europe - but to VGC Bayo 2 sold worse there than it did in NA.  Personally I think it's undertracked in Europe for that reason. But that's just my opinion.

In NA the initial shipment ultimately completely sold-off - given the original package's high asking price. That could indicate Nintendo short-stocked it - but to me that seems odd as it was one of Amazon top selling games in October that year and that this was the marquee title to shift the Nintendo audience in the midst of Wii U's most competitive era.

But tbh, overall 750k is a fine number for this game on WiiU, all things considered imo

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

KLXVER said:
Volterra_90 said:

The point is that Nintendo can just throw together a simple 2D platformer and sell millions while big third party games struggle to reach 1 million. Say what you will about the quality of NSMBU, but Nintendo could make games like that in their sleep at this point.

Probably, I think there's tons of work behind NSMBU though. I think the main problem is releasing games on a console which the majority of people buy to play Nintendo games. It's hard to compete with that. 

Around the Network

It's still overtracked.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Volterra_90 said:
KLXVER said:

Probably, I think there's tons of work behind NSMBU though. I think the main problem is releasing games on a console which the majority of people buy to play Nintendo games. It's hard to compete with that. 

Sure, but great games are great games. No matter who made it.

GoOnKid said:
DonFerrari said:
Sad, and quite funny that the IP is so loved and so low seller

Yes, very sad. I wish more people would give it a chance.

Maybe some gave but only through loans... but I agree the sales doesn't refflect the acclaim.

KLXVER said:
GoOnKid said:

My local store restocked like 8 copies and offers them for just 15€. Has been a couple of weeks now. Unfortunately nobody buys them :(

And that isn't to say that it's bad that NSMBU is bad, doesn't deserve the sales or anything like that. It just shows how hard is for third parties to thrive on the console.

And about people complain about the numbers, I doubt very much that Machimina is Sony/MS fanboy or done the adjustment to piss anyone, he just tries to have the most correct numbers he can.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KLXVER said:
Volterra_90 said:

Sure, but great games are great games. No matter who made it.

Undeniable, yeah. But we're talking about sales, and in that case, it matters...

I assumed it was overtracked. Shame if it never comes to other platforms.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)