Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo Switch Release Date, Price, And Games Lineup Teased!

superchunk said:
Bandorr said:

On average a retailer will give you $15 for Mario Kart 8. That is 4 months before the switch comes out, The price could easily fall to $10 by then.

You think stores will be trading a brand new $60 game for a $10 dollar old game? No possible way.

A retailer doesn't see the $15 as the total value of that game. They see it as a $25 value as they intend to resell it.

They'd never sell the bloody things, WiiU is dead, everyone and their mother would trade in for a switch copy. Hell you'd get people buying the WiiU one used and immediately trading it for the free directors cut version. They'd have WiiU copies of Mario Kart 8 coming out of their nostrils.

Trading WiiU copy for Switch Copy isn't going to happen.



Around the Network



superchunk said:
Bandorr said:

On average a retailer will give you $15 for Mario Kart 8. That is 4 months before the switch comes out, The price could easily fall to $10 by then.

You think stores will be trading a brand new $60 game for a $10 dollar old game? No possible way.

A retailer doesn't see the $15 as the total value of that game. They see it as a $25 value as they intend to resell it.

Plus, they didn't pay $60 for the new game and its very likely that these "director cuts" won't be $60 games either.

When you consider the real cost, the potential for resell, the liklihood that these will be $40 games at launch and that Nintendo's part of making an agreement would absolutely mean they'd give credits to the retailer to drive a launch (all marketing budget)... this is very much reasonable. As someone who worked many years in retail... this is defintely a norm.

So they take the $10 dollar game and sell it for $25. Let's also say the games cost $40, and the store can get them for $25.

So in the most extreme case of

1) they are able to sell EVERY game they get. That is every game outdated and on a now retired system.

2) That the games cost $40 and not the $60 despite Nintendo giving no evidence of this and still calling it a "console"

3) That retailers can get them for $25.

In this very extreme never going to happen ever situation.. the stores are breaking even. Why would the retailers ever go for something that at the BEST chance of breaking even - even do this. At the 0.0000001% chance of this plan working, yet they get nothing for it.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Barkley said:

They'd never sell the bloody things, WiiU is dead, everyone and their mother would trade in for a switch copy. Hell you'd get people buying the WiiU one used and immediately trading it for the free directors cut version. They'd have WiiU copies of Mario Kart 8 coming out of their nostrils.

Trading WiiU copy for Switch Copy isn't going to happen.

Keep in mind, the cost of the digital game to Nintendo is not the same as the $40 price tag I was suggesting either. Nintendo could easily pay the retailer $XX kick back for giving the consumer a digital code to be used. That is almost no actual cost to the retailer so even if the kickback form Nintendo was $10, that's easily $8 profit per exchange for the retialer. The agreement would likely then be to simply destroy the disc and trash (preventing your scenario).

As for Nintendo, they'll still make profit on this easily. The digital game is far less costs as a physical, these deluxe editions are just DLC content and a fraction of the dev costs. Even if it is a wash or loss, that is just used as marketing to launch a new product.

It is perfectly feasible.



Bandorr said:

So they take the $10 dollar game and sell it for $25. Let's also say the games cost $40, and the store can get them for $25.

So in the most extreme case of

1) they are able to sell EVERY game they get. That is every game outdated and on a now retired system.

2) That the games cost $40 and not the $60 despite Nintendo giving no evidence of this and still calling it a "console"

3) That retailers can get them for $25.

In this very extreme never going to happen ever situation.. the stores are breaking even. Why would the retailers ever go for something that at the BEST chance of breaking even - even do this. At the 0.0000001% chance of this plan working, yet they get nothing for it.

See my reply directly above.

Not extreme case at all.

1) non-issue based on a trade-in plocy where disc game is destroyed and digital code is given.

2) These are just DLC addons put into a new game package and intended to create best value from a new launch. Seems silly to assume it will be full price. Nintendo has multiple new games at the $40 price point where they were obviously lower dev costs.

3) See #1.



superchunk said:

As for Nintendo, they'll still make profit on this easily. The digital game is far less costs as a physical, these deluxe editions are just DLC content and a fraction of the dev costs. Even if it is a wash or loss, that is just used as marketing to launch a new product.

It is perfectly feasible.

Trading in a physical copy for a digital copy is definitely more feasible, I was assuming the OP was implying physical for physical.

Still run into the problem of space... The Switch isn't exactly suited for digital games, an 18gb+ download of smash would quickly highlight the problem the system has in that regards.



Around the Network
Barkley said:

Trading in a physical copy for a digital copy is definitely more feasible, I was assuming the OP was implying physical for physical.

Still run into the problem of space... The Switch isn't exactly suited for digital games, an 18gb+ download of smash would quickly highlight the problem the system has in that regards.

How is physical for digital not feasible? Its a game for a game. The OP is talking to a trade-in policy right after it mentions digital versions being free.

edited... I misread your statement.

Space is not that big of an issue as many are crying about. You will be able to put any size SDHC card in this just as you can with a 3DS now. 



superchunk said:
Barkley said:

Trading in a physical copy for a digital copy is definitely more feasible, I was assuming the OP was implying physical for physical.

Still run into the problem of space... The Switch isn't exactly suited for digital games, an 18gb+ download of smash would quickly highlight the problem the system has in that regards.

How is physical for digital not feasible?

Read my post again, never said that.



I'm just gonna leave this here since I'm not allowed to start a new thread yet and haven't seen anything about it anywhere else:

The Nintendo Switch has been available for pre-order for about 2 weeks already at (arguably) the largest retailer in Romania. It's €299 and deliveries start on 31-Mar-2017.

Sources:
http://altex.ro/consola-nintendo-switch
http://mediagalaxy.ro/consola-nintendo-switch



Laura dale debunked this and said she never stated any of this and they're falsely crediting her. Not sure if anyone posted that all ready



NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

If smash can't use the gcn controllers, why bother upgrading? I certainly wouldn't.



"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius