By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo Switch Release Date, Price, And Games Lineup Teased!

I'll pick one up day one no matter what the price :).

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:

$2999.99

I like what is there and especially the price.

But WTF does this mean?

"Rumors suggest that the Nintendo Switch includes an NFC ID card to download your content onto other devices such as unlockable characters in Mario Kart and possibly games you own temporarily downloaded. This is their solution for poor battery life. A card will be included, and new cards are available for around $10."

Are they suggesting the battery life concern is mitigated because you can just buy 2 NS consoles and switch between them when the battery is low? Is that the real meet behind the Switch name?

I can see Nintendo having an easy way to take your specialized characters and game saves, that is a cool feature. But there is no way they'll make this as a benefit for battery life. To me, 3hr battery sucks, but I already own large portable batteries and I don't see myself using this a lot away from a plug anyways. So it's not a deal breaker.

Bandorr said:
No possible way. Nintendo doesn't have good enough online to do the "if you have it, you get it" and there is no possible way they are working with retailer to make a trade in system.

Nintendo would have to be paying out of pocket to get retail stores to trade new copies for old wii U copies.

1) Why do you think they massively overhauled the VC and Nintendo account system with 3DS/WiiU? To allow digital BC for some content and to move to a person tied account system vs system tied.

2) You do realize every major retailer already has trade-in programs, right? This would just leverage that mechanism with some for of additional kick-back from Nintendo to the retailer to sweeten the deal.

Barkley said:
Puppyroach said:

$2999.99

Easily, without thinking once....

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

On average a retailer will give you $15 for Mario Kart 8. That is 4 months before the switch comes out, The price could easily fall to $10 by then.

You think stores will be trading a brand new $60 game for a $10 dollar old game? No possible way.

A retailer doesn't see the $15 as the total value of that game. They see it as a $25 value as they intend to resell it.

Plus, they didn't pay $60 for the new game and its very likely that these "director cuts" won't be $60 games either.

When you consider the real cost, the potential for resell, the liklihood that these will be $40 games at launch and that Nintendo's part of making an agreement would absolutely mean they'd give credits to the retailer to drive a launch (all marketing budget)... this is very much reasonable. As someone who worked many years in retail... this is defintely a norm.

superchunk said:
Bandorr said:

On average a retailer will give you $15 for Mario Kart 8. That is 4 months before the switch comes out, The price could easily fall to $10 by then.

You think stores will be trading a brand new $60 game for a $10 dollar old game? No possible way.

A retailer doesn't see the $15 as the total value of that game. They see it as a $25 value as they intend to resell it.

They'd never sell the bloody things, WiiU is dead, everyone and their mother would trade in for a switch copy. Hell you'd get people buying the WiiU one used and immediately trading it for the free directors cut version. They'd have WiiU copies of Mario Kart 8 coming out of their nostrils.

Trading WiiU copy for Switch Copy isn't going to happen.

Barkley said:

They'd never sell the bloody things, WiiU is dead, everyone and their mother would trade in for a switch copy. Hell you'd get people buying the WiiU one used and immediately trading it for the free directors cut version. They'd have WiiU copies of Mario Kart 8 coming out of their nostrils.

Trading WiiU copy for Switch Copy isn't going to happen.

Keep in mind, the cost of the digital game to Nintendo is not the same as the $40 price tag I was suggesting either. Nintendo could easily pay the retailer $XX kick back for giving the consumer a digital code to be used. That is almost no actual cost to the retailer so even if the kickback form Nintendo was $10, that's easily $8 profit per exchange for the retialer. The agreement would likely then be to simply destroy the disc and trash (preventing your scenario).

As for Nintendo, they'll still make profit on this easily. The digital game is far less costs as a physical, these deluxe editions are just DLC content and a fraction of the dev costs. Even if it is a wash or loss, that is just used as marketing to launch a new product.

It is perfectly feasible.

Bandorr said:

So they take the $10 dollar game and sell it for $25. Let's also say the games cost $40, and the store can get them for $25.

So in the most extreme case of

1) they are able to sell EVERY game they get. That is every game outdated and on a now retired system.

2) That the games cost $40 and not the $60 despite Nintendo giving no evidence of this and still calling it a "console"

3) That retailers can get them for $25.

In this very extreme never going to happen ever situation.. the stores are breaking even. Why would the retailers ever go for something that at the BEST chance of breaking even - even do this. At the 0.0000001% chance of this plan working, yet they get nothing for it.

See my reply directly above.

Not extreme case at all.

1) non-issue based on a trade-in plocy where disc game is destroyed and digital code is given.

2) These are just DLC addons put into a new game package and intended to create best value from a new launch. Seems silly to assume it will be full price. Nintendo has multiple new games at the $40 price point where they were obviously lower dev costs.

3) See #1.

superchunk said:

As for Nintendo, they'll still make profit on this easily. The digital game is far less costs as a physical, these deluxe editions are just DLC content and a fraction of the dev costs. Even if it is a wash or loss, that is just used as marketing to launch a new product.

It is perfectly feasible.

Trading in a physical copy for a digital copy is definitely more feasible, I was assuming the OP was implying physical for physical.

Still run into the problem of space... The Switch isn't exactly suited for digital games, an 18gb+ download of smash would quickly highlight the problem the system has in that regards.