By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

So, to summerize this Black Friday, Sony needed to do more with less. And by less, we mean less bundle options. There was the Pro, but today is the day of deals. Therefore the only real canidates were the

Uncharted and TLOU or
Uncharted and Ratchet or
Uncharted and TLOU and Ratchet

There were various variations of this that, when taken in totality, came close to the sheer number of options the competition was offering but not really close enough. Its really brillant when you think about make their best selling title, the best selling exclusive of the year, the crux of their promotion, but it really appears that ND has paid incredible dividends this gen, lest we forget that ultimately, it was the Nathan Drake bundle that carried them through last BF and Early December as the Star Wars bundle was stalling and before the 349 BO3 bundle was introduced.

Thats really what happened. Anyway ND is Sony's greatest asset and it will be interesting to see if that is enough to carry them through these most contentious couple of days. Obviously, it will be difficult for Sony to lose November, but its actually more interesting to see how they fair this week.

Around the Network

Looks like the bone have started its free fall in the abyss of indifference, doctor phil is requested in the emergency room

If there is someone from retail around here, can you tell who is taking the hit in the additional games bundled with PS4?

Anyone seen any neogaf posts from the retail guys yet

I haven't found any so far today

Raitoningu said:
Looks like the bone have started its free fall in the abyss of indifference, doctor phil is requested in the emergency room

If there is someone from retail around here, can you tell who is taking the hit in the additional games bundled with PS4?

A drop of a few places isn't 'free falling'. Honestly, can we all stop this.

The PS5 Exists. 

SWORDF1SH said:
jason1637 said:

On Amazon last year during black Friday the ranking were

#01 PS4 Nathan Drake Bundle (same)
#05 XB1 Gears Bundle (same)
#06 3DS Mario Land Bundle (same)
#12 PS4 Nathan Drake Digital Bundle (down 1)
#20 XB1 Three Games Bundle (up 6)
#21 PS4 Star Wars Standard Bundle (up 4)
#31 XB1 Fallout Bundle (down 11)
#36 PS4 Black Ops Bundle (down 1)
#43 XB1 Lego Bundle (same)
#64 XB1 FIFA Bundle (up 6)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7634357

Right now its

#1 PS4 UC4

#11 XB1S Minecraft

#14 XB1S BF1

#27 3DS Lime

#33 XB1S BF1 SE

#59 PS4Pro

#74 XB1S Gears 4

#85 3DS XL

#95 Wii U

#99 3DS

But you're missing some important pieces of information. Firstly the PS4 Slim only has one bundle so not sure why you expect there to be around the same bundles in the top 100 as last year.

You dismiss the momentum of the Pro which seems to have huge preorders and held a good rank constantly on the hourly. Your reasons being that it's not doing well right now which common sense will tell you the PS4 sku with the deal will get all the sales on Black Friday. Sony, predictably, is pushing the Slim for the bargains over the holidays so it's not surprising for the PS4 sales swing over to the Slim.

Then you seem to proclaim XB1 is winning when you have no idea how to gauge how good PS4 Slim sales are doing right now on Amazon. It's number one so sales could be well north of the item at no.2. If it was second or lower then we could maybe get a better idea.

Of course you could be right about it being close but I think you're being ignorant of a few factors. 

Ok but what about the Pro which is another PS4 bundle. It's still performing lower during black Friday than any other PS4 bundle last year. Lets see if the PS4S can hold its #1 spot longer than the PS4 held it last year.

I'm not dismissing the PS4Pro preorders I'm just saying that its doing really low on the day that most casuals buy consoles considering that over the last few months people were saying that one of the reasons the PS4 wasn't winning was that people were waiting on the Pro but it doesn't seem like its the case when a huge majority of this month's sales come from this day. 

I said it could be winning because there are a lot of XB1S consoles that are ranking pretty well so they are sharing sales considering how close they are to each other. It could be winning on Amazon or the PS4 could be winning we can't be 100% sure. 

Around the Network

Why do people keep ignoring that the Pro is sold out in Japan? It's off to a decent start but is sold out. You literally have no ground to stand on. Sony obviously greatly under estimated demand in Japan.

jason1637 said:

On Amazon last year during black Friday the ranking were

#01 PS4 Nathan Drake Bundle (same)
#05 XB1 Gears Bundle (same)
#06 3DS Mario Land Bundle (same)
#12 PS4 Nathan Drake Digital Bundle (down 1)
#20 XB1 Three Games Bundle (up 6)
#21 PS4 Star Wars Standard Bundle (up 4)
#31 XB1 Fallout Bundle (down 11)
#36 PS4 Black Ops Bundle (down 1)
#43 XB1 Lego Bundle (same)
#64 XB1 FIFA Bundle (up 6)

These are the numbers you need to be looking at. 

Final monthly hardware ranking (November 2015):

PS4 NDC bundle (phys. copy): #1
XBO Gears bundle: #8
PS4 Star Wars basic bundle: #15
XBO 1TB Holiday bundle: #23
Wii U MK8 bundle: #29
PS4 COD bundle: #31
PS4 NDC bundle: #42
XBO Fallout 4 bundle: #44
PS4 Star Wars LE bundle: #59
3DS XL Mario bundle: #99

Use this to help you gauge how this week shapes the monthly outcome. 

A lot of people bought a ps4pro at jet.com with the 15% off. Jet give 15% off your first 3 orders

Ryng_Tolu said:
Teeqoz said:

What about it makes no sense?

Literally what you said.

"Now of course, there is a possibility that they sold fewer, despite shipping more"

This is true. You are way wrong here though:

"it seems more likely that they also sold more when they shipped more."

No, is not. Do you really think is likely they sold more only because they shipped more? There are a lot of reasons why shipments can looks higher. Let me tell you an example.

PS4 was up YOY in USA, Japan, and UK for the first 3 months of 2016. Is likely that PS4 was up YOY Worldwide with all those 3 countries be up. What shipped Sony in Q1 2016 and 2015?

2015 = 2.4 million
2016 = 2.3 million

Does this mean PS4 is most likely down YOY because they shipped more last year? no. They were down YOY because by end of 2015 they overshipped MASSIVELY the PS4, like there were 1.8 million units in store. That's why they didn't shipped much in the firsts 3 months of 2016, the stock was already high.

But, we only have data for USA, Japan, and UK, and in those 3 countries which are also the most importants, we know PS4 was up. So no, in this case, shipments really doesn't mean much.

Same now. Only because Sony shipped what? 400k more than last year? this doesn't mean they sold more. Look at official sales from Sony: PS4 was at 40 million sold by the 3 week of May 2016.

Then, they shipped 43.5 million by end of June 2016. 3.5 million difference? Ok, let's say PS4 sold an (optimist) 200k the last week of May WW. that's +40.2m.

We know it sold 235k in USA, and 120k in Japan in June. Let's be WAY generus, and let's say they sold 1 million in June 2016 (which looks way high considering USA and Japan numbers)... that's 41.2m units sold... in any case, there are MINIMUM 2 million units PS4 in stock by end of June. This mean PS4 was overshipped back in June.

Then, they shipped 3.9 million units the others 3 months. This mean that, if before PS4 was overshipped, they should AT LEAST have sold more than what they have shipped from July to September 2016. But, doesn't look even possible.

Official numbers, 600k in USA in July+Aug+Sep.
Japan is 330k Jul + Aug + Sep

USA+Jap is under 1 million. Do you really believe PS4 has sold 2.9 million outside USA and Japan in ONLY those 3 months? Doesn't looks likely, so this mean Sony has overshipped PS4 again. Right now PS4 is severely overshipped.

You see the point? If PS4 is overshipped so much, doesn't make sense talk about shipments saying "it's most likely selling more because shipments are better".

To be fair i'm not saying PS4 is down YOY... it can be, but in anycase, shipments is the worst thing you may look at.

EDIT: Ok i noted that i used a lot of math in my comment. Have you understand or should i express myself better?

Sony can't just force stock to retailers. The stores tell Sony when they need their stocks replenished.

I am also not saying that the PS4 is up YoY.... I'm saying that shipments are up, and we don't have definitive numbers for sales, but that I think sales are up, because of that.

The PS4 being overshipped doesn't mean it's down YoY, because we don't know how much was on shelves at the same time last year.

And no... you didn't use a lot of math in your comment, and yes I understood, and it made sense. I'm sure it wasn't your intention but it seems condescending to assume that I might not understand basic addition.

PS: Do you have any idea how much the PS4 sold in the UK from January to June?

Kerotan said:
Why do people keep ignoring that the Pro is sold out in Japan? It's off to a decent start but is sold out. You literally have no ground to stand on. Sony obviously greatly under estimated demand in Japan.

Because in one way or another, it indicates that Sony was not able to properly supply the demand.  Now, who is to say that Sony didn't plan this? Or perhaps they outstripped their production capabilities with 3 seperate launches.   Whatever the decision was, it was motivated by an interest in the company and not consumers.  Not saying this isn't good business.