By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - I'm ignorant about politics. But I know I want change.

VGPolyglot said:
bunchanumbers said:

Indeed he was. Candidates from the same party (technically he is independent but ran on the Dem ticket) are allowed different views. Do you think all candidates think like Trump?

They think the same in the manner that they only care about furthering the interests of the elite? Yes. Hillary supports spying on people and is a warmonger. Bernie Sanders also wants Snowden to get punished so he obviously doesn't support whistleblowers, and he also admitted that he would not substantially change the U.S. foreign policy, so they would probably continue to have troops in multiple countries and get into conflicts. Trump doesn't even try to hide his disgusting views.

So Trump gets credit but Bernie doesn't for saying he wouldn't substantially change foreign policy?

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
VGPolyglot said:

They think the same in the manner that they only care about furthering the interests of the elite? Yes. Hillary supports spying on people and is a warmonger. Bernie Sanders also wants Snowden to get punished so he obviously doesn't support whistleblowers, and he also admitted that he would not substantially change the U.S. foreign policy, so they would probably continue to have troops in multiple countries and get into conflicts. Trump doesn't even try to hide his disgusting views.

So Trump gets credit but Bernie doesn't for saying he wouldn't substantially change foreign policy?

When did I say Trump gets credit? I obviously don't like Trump, but I'm just saying that people shouldn't let their dislike of Trump lead them to supporting other candidates who aren't good either.

"I'm ignorant about politics, but I want change"

Then you're part of the problem. That may sound harsh, but it's true.

Politicians despite what people say, don't do things when they know public opinion is against them.

If you don't like big money in politics get off your ass and become politically active. MORE than just once every 4 years to vote for a president.

I'm sorry, but this is the cold, hard, truth ... that isn't good enough. Make sure your local representives know where you stand on issues.

Gay marriage for example was not a popular issue even for liberal politicians. It's ONLY because 50%+ of Americans started to approve of marriage equality that politicians started to jump on the bandwagon and support it.

People who huff and puff about politicans, but can't be bothered to be politically active in any way other than voting for president once every 4 years, are part of the problem. I'm just saying this as a general thing, but if you believe that lobbyists and big money shouldn't be part of politics, get off your ass. Turn off the TV for a few damn hours, organize with like minded people and demand change. 

Even though people give Black Lives Matter shit ... say what you want but those people are active and making their voice heard. And they are actually getting change done, more and more police are now required to carry body cameras at the very least which would never have happened if these people just sat on their ass at home blaming a politican but continuing to play Call of Duty. 

Politics is shit. Spend your time on something more fulfilling, don't get caught in all the drama. I mean, know what's going on but I advise that you don't get absorbed in it. It freakin' ruins people.

Soundwave said:

Politicians despite what people say, don't do things when they know public opinion is against them.

If you don't like big money in politics get off your ass and become politically active. MORE than just once every 4 years to vote for a president.

I'm sorry, but this is the cold, hard, truth ... that isn't good enough. Make sure your local representives know where you stand on issues.

Gay marriage for example was not a popular issue even for liberal politicians. It's ONLY because 50%+ of Americans started to approve of marriage equality that politicians started to jump on the bandwagon and support it.

People who huff and puff about politicans, but can't be bothered to be politically active in any way other than voting for president once every 4 years, are part of the problem. I'm just saying this as a general thing, but if you believe that lobbyists and big money shouldn't be part of politics, get off your ass. Turn off the TV for a few damn hours, organize with like minded people and demand change. 

Even though people give Black Lives Matter shit ... say what you want but those people are active and making their voice heard. And they are actually getting change done, more and more police are now required to carry body cameras at the very least which would never have happened if these people just sat on their ass at home blaming a politican but continuing to play Call of Duty. 

That's really not true. Politicians and donors shape policy, and then retroactively try to warp public opinion though the media and education system. Here's just one example: In 1965, the United States was 85% white. If you conducted a public opinion poll back then, do you think those people would have said, "Yes, I want the United States to eventually not be majority-white, and I want my children and grandchildren to be a hated minority in their own homeland"? No, of course not. But that didn't stop politicians and donors from changing immigration law just to get cheap labor for businesses and more votes for the party, regardless of the damage done to the nation. These people do whatever they want, public opinion be damned.

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
Soundwave said:

That's really not true. Politicians and donors shape policy, and then retroactively try to warp public opinion though the media and education system. Here's just one example: In 1965, the United States was 85% white. If you conducted a public opinion poll back then, do you think those people would have said, "Yes, I want the United States to eventually not be majority-white, and I want my children and grandchildren to be a hated minority in their own homeland"? No, of course not. But that didn't stop politicians and donors from changing immigration law just to get cheap labor for businesses and more votes for the party, regardless of the damage done to the nation. These people do whatever they want, public opinion be damned.

lol, no turns out many white people aren't fucking racist and don't mind immigrants and don't care about majorities vs. minorities, nor do they feel "hated". Those "evil" Mexicans would rather serve most white people a burrito or do some hard yard work in their yards for a few bucks than "hate" them. 

There's a vocal minority that has a stick up their ass about it, but that is not all white people in the US and certainly not the growing younger demographic. 

Soundwave said:

lol, no turns out many white people aren't fucking racist and don't mind immigrants and don't care about majorities vs. minorities. 

There's a vocal minority that has a stick up their ass about it, but that is not all white people in the US. 

They'll probably start caring once they become a minority and realize that nothing's stopping the resentful other races from robbing them of everything they've got through the government. Just look at what happened to Zimbabwe and South Africa.

StarDoor said:
Soundwave said:

lol, no turns out many white people aren't fucking racist and don't mind immigrants and don't care about majorities vs. minorities. 

There's a vocal minority that has a stick up their ass about it, but that is not all white people in the US. 

They'll probably start caring once they become a minority and realize that nothing's stopping the resentful other races from robbing them of everything they've got through the government. Just look at what happened to Zimbabwe and South Africa.

No they won't because thankfully people who think in terms of a "race war" are dying. Those views are held mostly by older people (though there is a sad group of young people indoctrinated in it, thankfully they are a sinking small miniority) and old people tend to die faster (go figure). 

Younger people are more open on their views of things like marijuana, racial politics, gay marriage, etc. and it IS being reflected in public policy. 

Corporate greed is a harder issue to tackle even though there is a lot of agreement on the right/left that corporate money needs to be removed from politics. Hopefully that trend can continue but with a sane politician, not a egocentric buffoon like Trump who's only riding the wave because he figured out that it was a hot button issue that worked well for propelling his own self interest. 

Corporations are smart, they wouldn't have all the money they have if they were stupid. They know how to enact policy that benefits them on the hush hush. 

Responding to your edits first:

Soundwave said:

lol, no turns out many white people aren't fucking racist and don't mind immigrants and don't care about majorities vs. minorities, nor do they feel "hated". Those "evil" Mexicans would rather serve most white people a burrito or do some hard yard work in their yards for a few bucks than "hate" them. 

There's a vocal minority that has a stick up their ass about it, but that is not all white people in the US and certainly not the growing younger demographic. 

It doesn't matter what the average person thinks when the entire elite is committed to revenge against the supposed "oppressors". And actually, the younger generation, (Generation Z, I guess,) is far more conservative than the Millenials, Gen X, and the Baby Boomers, considering how many of them support Trump:

http://hispanicheritage.org/50000-generation-z-high-school-students-identify-republican/

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/poll-trump-dominates-with-generation-z/

Soundwave said:
StarDoor said:

No they won't because thankfully people who think in terms of a "race war" are dying. Those views are held mostly by older people (though there is a sad group of young people indoctrinated in it, thankfully they are a sinking small miniority) and old people tend to die faster (go figure). 

Younger people are more open on their views of things like marijuana, racial politics, gay marriage, etc. and it IS being reflected in public policy. 

Corporate greed is a harder issue to tackle even though there is a lot of agreement on the right/left that corporate money needs to be removed from politics. Hopefully that trend can continue but with a sane politician, not a egocentric buffoon like Trump who's only riding the wave because he figured out that it was a hot button issue that worked well for propelling his own self interest. 

Corporations are smart, they wouldn't have all the money they have if they were stupid. They know how to enact policy that benefits them on the hush hush. 

Tell that to the tens of thousands who were murdered in the countries I listed. And, like it or not, "those views" are gaining momentum, not declining like you seem to think. Can you really call the alt-right "sinking" or "old" in any sense?

I already talked about the younger people thing. All accounts say that Millennials will be the peak left-wing generation.

I'm not sure what your stance is on the whole "corporate greed" issue. If you dislike corporate greed, why do you approve of the completely un-democratic way in which they've replaced the US population? You think that's okay because "lol whites are racist"? Even though literally every other population on the planet wants to maintain their own majority status in their countries, and it's only whites who are demonized for having the same desire? Israel is unabashedly a Jewish state. China is unabashedly Han Chinese. Japan is unabashedly Japanese. But America and Europe are specifically at fault for wanting to stay European?

StarDoor said:

Responding to your edits first:

Soundwave said:

It doesn't matter what the average person thinks when the entire elite is committed to revenge against the supposed "oppressors". And actually, the younger generation, (Generation Z, I guess,) is far more conservative than the Millenials, Gen X, and the Baby Boomers, considering how many of them support Trump:

http://hispanicheritage.org/50000-generation-z-high-school-students-identify-republican/

http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/poll-trump-dominates-with-generation-z/

Soundwave said:

Tell that to the tens of thousands who were murdered in the countries I listed. And, like it or not, "those views" are gaining momentum, not declining like you seem to think. Can you really call the alt-right "sinking" or "old" in any sense?

I already talked about the younger people thing. All accounts say that Millennials will be the peak left-wing generation.

I'm not sure what your stance is on the whole "corporate greed" issue. If you dislike corporate greed, why do you approve of the completely un-democratic way in which they've replaced the US population? You think that's okay because "lol whites are racist"? Even though literally every other population on the planet wants to maintain their own majority status in their countries, and it's only whites who are demonized for having the same desire? Israel is unabashedly a Jewish state. China is unabashedly Han Chinese. Japan is unabashedly Japanese. But America and Europe are specifically at fault for wanting to stay European?

Yes I think the alt-right will sink, because 50%+ of people under the age of 10 in the US are now a visible minority, so scapegoating "minorities" for white people consuming drugs (for example) or saying crime is rising with immigration (when it is lower now than it was in the 1980s) isn't going to work forever. 

This is the alt-right's big chance, they got a favorable field of pissy weak Republican candidates and Hilary Clinton who has a lot of baggage and isn't a particularily charismatic or charming personality (Obama would've wrecked Trump if he could have run, I have zero doubt about that). 

I think "Generation Z" was mainly motivated moreso by Bernie Sanders, but because he was in a bitter race with Clinton, that has put Clinton in a bad light with that crowd, but people also learn to not be such (hate to say it) whiny bitches when they lose. You come around and support the candidate that is closer to your optimal views, that is part of being an adult (making sound decisions and accepting you don't get the picture perfect thing every time in life). Kids learn that when get to college and into their 20s and realize life doesn't give two shits about them and is waiting to slap them around. That's where idealism meets reality.

I do think while Bernie did not win this time, a person from the Sanders "movement" will eventually win in the future. Trump ... I'm more inclined to believe is a one off. 

Say what you want about him, and I have been as critical of him as anyone on this board, but he does have an interesting personality, a cult-ish egocentric show biz appeal that won't be easy to replicate IMO. 

And the USA has always been a country of immigrants, it is not some ethno-centric society. Big portions of the US were built right over top of Mexico, there were hundreds of thousands of black slaves, Asian laborers, and Italian, Irish, and other communities lived in their own little "enclaves" seperated from each other early on too. It's always been a melting pot of different types of people.