By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VG Chartz #'s are full of it?

marc said:
nintendo said:
No offense, but are you seriously implying that VGChartz (a free, fan based website) is a more reputable source then NPD (a very expensive compilation, used by every single publisher in the industry)? I'm just curious how the numbers could be so drastically off.

Uhm a free fan based website is usually not as corrupt as your highly valued expensive industry publisher. Have you ever read those expensive magazines and their game reviews? They are all paid off by companies. So to answer your question, I would be more inclined to believe the source making little to no profit especially in todays world.

A free fan-based website can also be much more biased than one with more of an image to keep intact. 

Sure NPD is probably biased as well(and being paid off for some titles they review), but think about their industry; if all of the games they review were perfect because the company was paid off, soon enough the magazine won't be considered any good and even getting paid off will not keep them in business.

A similar case could be said about VG, but they don't have as much on the line.

NPD has to keep their image good otherwise they will not see enough money and  fail.  They have to stay professional by being honest as much as possible.

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Well, im looking at the NPD numbers now, puzzle quest is showing as 8million copies sold in April

I believe you! Because you say so! And you've been here for a while!

nintendo said:

it's proprietary information, hence you can't publically talk about it.

Well, then I'm sure "VGChartz's sources are proprietary information - we can't publically talk about it" is a valid response to your question.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Alright, I got my answer.

SilentWolf said:
marc said:
nintendo said:
No offense, but are you seriously implying that VGChartz (a free, fan based website) is a more reputable source then NPD (a very expensive compilation, used by every single publisher in the industry)? I'm just curious how the numbers could be so drastically off.

Uhm a free fan based website is usually not as corrupt as your highly valued expensive industry publisher. Have you ever read those expensive magazines and their game reviews? They are all paid off by companies. So to answer your question, I would be more inclined to believe the source making little to no profit especially in todays world.

A free fan-based website can also be much more biased than one with more of an image to keep intact.

Sure NPD is probably biased as well(and being paid off for some titles they review), but think about their industry; if all of the games they review were perfect because the company was paid off, soon enough the magazine won't be considered any good and even getting paid off will not keep them in business.

NPD has to keep their image good otherwise they will not see enough money and fail. They have to stay professional by being honest as much as possible.

Ah yes and true but you forget 1 thing... the beauty of monopoly Who is competing with NPD? No one is. Thus they can get away with pretty much anything and everyone will still use them since we really cant tell if they are telling the truth or not. If there were viable competition then thats a different story but this is not the case here. It the same issue we have MS and windows. They illegaly (and were found guilty of this) killed competition early on and in doing so pretty much got away with anything later. Bad security? Who cares, its not like they have any alternatives so lets take our time and not fix them till someone actually reports it. Someone lost their life savings because of a well documentd trojan? Not our problem it took 3 years to patch the exploit. This is what monopolies can do and NPD falls pretty much under that category at this time.

I think everyone is taking the numbers much to seriously anyway. We all know that neither sources are 100% accurate and they may both be biased. Just take it as a grain of salt which is what every company does anyway. Im sure they have their own internal methods for getting real numbers.

Around the Network

marc said:
SilentWolf said:
marc said:
nintendo said:

NPD has to keep their image good otherwise they will not see enough money and fail. They have to stay professional by being honest as much as possible.

Ah yes and true but you forget 1 thing... the beauty of monopoly Who is competing with NPD? No one is. Thus they can get away with pretty much anything and everyone will still use them since we really cant tell if they are telling the truth or not. If there were viable competition then thats a different story but this is not the case here. It the same issue we have MS and windows. They illegaly (and were found guilty of this) killed competition early on and in doing so pretty much got away with anything later. Bad security? Who cares, its not like they have any alternatives so lets take our time and not fix them till someone actually reports it. Someone lost their life savings because of a well documentd trojan? Not our problem it took 3 years to patch the exploit. This is what monopolies can do and NPD falls pretty much under that category at this time.

I think everyone is taking the numbers much to seriously anyway. We all know that neither sources are 100% accurate and they may both be biased. Just take it as a grain of salt which is what every company does anyway. Im sure they have their own internal methods for getting real numbers.

Very true Very true. A monopoly is not normally a good thing for the consumer and neither source is 100% accurate. I was just saying that as far as I know VG has nothing to lose by giving bad information, while NPD could lose a lot of money if nobody trusts them even being a monopoly.

Best choice; take both into consideration when trying to figure out the # of sales.

SilentWolf said:

Very true Very true. A monopoly is not normally a good thing for the consumer and neither source is 100% accurate. I was just saying that as far as I know VG has nothing to lose by giving bad information, while NPD could lose a lot of money if nobody trusts them even being a monopoly.

Best choice; take both into consideration when trying to figure out the # of sales.

Truth ;-p The real answer is probably somewhere in between the two numbers. Maybe we should just average them together hehe.

I agree

marc said:
SilentWolf said:

Truth ;-p The real answer is probably somewhere in between the two numbers. Maybe we should just average them together hehe.

That's what I normally do, and if there are any other relatively reliable numbers I add them into the mix too. However, right now is not really the moment for crucial number accuracy, as the 360 is still around 2m over the Wii, and the PS3 numbers still have a lot of catching up to do before, say, a 5% discrepancy really becomes an issue. I think it's beyod safe to say that for now:

Xbox360 = #1

Wii = #2

PS3 = #3 

For now, I'm happy with the accuracy of VGC and NGW, NPD, et.al.

"A man with one watch always knows the time. A man with two watches is never sure."