By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SuperChunky Discussion - Real NS Power

My uncle Marcel told me the NS is going to be weaker than a 2006 toaster.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

540p GPU reqs are ~ a quarter of 1080p, ~ 1/16th of 4K

540p @ 30FPS needs half of 60FPS

Nintendo running a game at 30FPS, 540p native would require ~1/32 of 4K @ 60FPS.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

Nintendo running a game at 30FPS, 540p native would require ~1/32 of 4K @ 60FPS.

Yup. And it would look like a game at 540p.

walsufnir said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Yup. And it would look like a game at 540p.

So long as the screen is 720p, most people will believe they're playing HD games even if it's only 540p upscaled. Especially given the small screen.

Worked fine last gen. It's probably going to happen again with '4K'. You'll only be playing 1.920K (1080p) on PS5/Scorpio but they'll upscale and everyone will think they're playing true 4K games.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I'm pretty sure that the words Nintendo Power is an oxymoron.

The only reason why Switch is considered powerful is because Wii U was pathetically underpowered. We shouldn't even have to be talking about Switch if Nintendo made a proper console to begin with. Instead they went weak and gimmicky and because of their mistakes we consumers are now stuck with a tablet.

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

Actually, correlation is not linear. 1080p to 2160p goes some 2-3x  in GPU power with same settings, I haven't seen any 540p to 1080p benchmarks, but given the same relative difference in pixels (4x), I'd say it's similar. Anandtech bench is good place for checking out how different cards perform at various resolutions.

vivster said:

Seems pretty old. I'll wait for game performance, but it would be weird and pretty pitiful if the Tegra actually outperforms a full blown APU.

I said CPU not full APU.

Let it please be at least half an Xbox One. Please.

superchunk said:
vivster said:

Seems pretty old. I'll wait for game performance, but it would be weird and pretty pitiful if the Tegra actually outperforms a full blown APU.

I said CPU not full APU.

And I meant the CPU within a full blown APU.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

My thought is that the Switch has a Tegra X2 + an additional GeForce GPU.

For games that support it - in mobile mode it'll run just with the Tegra chip. When docked, the extra GeForce GPU kicks in everytime for full HD console support - but if a a game like Skyrim remastered couldn't run on just the Tegra alone, it could still use that extra GPU, but at the expense of shorter battery life.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016