By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SuperChunky Discussion - Real NS Power

I keep wondering what kind of games from third party would NS receive. Why it doesnt sound like it is powerfull enough (neither have the storage) for running full budget 100Gb AAA.

which from these partners develop for mobile?
maybe switch receive only the mobile ports...

Or other scenario could be like HW. No multiplats, but lots of third party exclusives. For example, Fromsoftware can make a cell shaded zelda or metroid dark souls...

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Soundwave said:

I will say 1/3-1/2 of an XBox One in actual real world performance.

Memory bandwidth is going to be the big problem for the Switch since I don't think they can realistically use high bandwidth eDRAM or eSRAM in a portable.

And even going with a 128-bit bus for the RAM is a problem potentially because that would increase battery usage and cost. My guess is they're making due with 25GB/sec 64-bit bus but leaning heavily on Nvidia's tiling approach to reduce bandwidth as much as possible with some faster memory caches.

If this thing is really capable of running PS4/XB1 ports, why in the world would you show a five year old Skyrim primarily in the teaser trailer? That Mario game also looked nowhere near a full generation leap past Mario 3D World, it looked very marginally better. Also Eurogamer's sources, which got everything basically right about the NS say 2-3x better performance than a Playstation 3 (not 4). 

Which for a portable system is pretty damn good. If you were expecting more than that, I just don't think it's reasonably possible with today's technology. 

You can't have a 20 watt portable, your battery will be dead in an hour. 

Deja vu.

I swear I just read some of these sentences elsewhere just a moment ago lol

That they used Skyrim as a teaser might simply be because Bethesda has heavily been advertising the Skrim Remaster this fall. It's an important game in their lineup and makes more sense to use than Fallout 4.

But of course it's a little worrying that it just may be the case that modern games like Fallout 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2 simply can't run properly on the Switch. Scary thought.

The margin is very small and I do think it's up to those extra % and that it will make a huge difference whether it is 1/3 of Xbox One or 2/3.

If the Switch turns out to be only 1/3 of Xbox one I think it's game over when it comes to multiplatforms, while if the Switch is 2/3 of it, then there's a huge chance that most third party developers will think it's worth it to at least try to make a decent port. The margin is that small.

Many third party devs in this gen choose to make their multiplatform games run at 900p on the Xbox One (while 1080p on PS4) and it's easy to imagine they would aim for 720p on the Switch, which on paper would require 64% of the power of the Xbox One.

But if the Switch is only 1/3 of the XBox One, it just becomes very hard to optimize (downgrade) the game to make it run at 720p and the thought of even lower resolutions (576p lol) I think sounds very unattractive to developers at this point of a generation when 4K is the buzzword.

It's really an exciting time and it's just soooo frustrating that we don't know yet.

We know quite a bit about the Tegra X1 chip though, it's not some huge mystery. 

At best, Nintendo is getting the X2/Parker version of that which is better, but not *that* much better. The big difference on that one is going to be power savings, it should consume a decent amount less electricity. 

1/3 an XBox One in a portable is still incredibly powerful for a mobile device, it's unrealistic to expect seriously much more than that. Like I said too, memory bandwidth is a huge issue as well, XBox One and PS4 and even Wii U will probably have bandwidth advantages simply because home consoles can have very high energy consuming RAM. A portable console cannot. 

exactly  =)

Companies like Bethesda and From Software also have plenty of PS3/360 games and engines they could port to the Switch.

Just because they're on a developers list doesn't mean they are making their modern games.

Let's hope this is the case

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Companies like Bethesda and From Software also have plenty of PS3/360 games and engines they could port to the Switch.

Just because they're on a developers list doesn't mean they are making their modern games.

They also have iOS/Android games they can easily port and claim a spot on that list everyone is flauntig as if it's actually means something.

I think the EA's sports games are the most important, if neccessary Nintendo should offer to pay for the development costs of those NS versions if EA is unwilling to.

Because a platform without FIFA/Madden NFL/NHL really loses its claim to be a "mainstream" platform. Even kids/casuals love sports games.

The big PS4/XB1 adventure/action big-scale games ... I hate to break this to you guys but those aren't going to happen a lot IMO. Those are games that tax a full blown XB1/PS4, they are going to be too much of a pain in the ass to port and the sales of those types of games aren't going to be worth the effort. If Wii U fans complained about COD: BLOPS2 and Assassin's Creed not being pixel perfect, they are going to be in for a rude awakening with Switch versions of games like that. There is going to be a large downgrade.

I appreciate the effort that went into the OP, superchunk, but I think it's time for the Nintendo gear heads to move on.

If you really care about power and "AAA" games, build a rig or buy a PS4.

If you care about Nintendo games, portability, and local multiplayer, buy a Switch.

superchunk said:
Turkish said:

List of partners!

Will you just look at it? It lists Take Two! NS so powerful RDR2 skips it!

NS to be a supa dupa 10th gen console maybe?

1) No games are announced for it at this time.
2) Any games currently in development have many possibilities to not make NS launch well beyond tech. Companies have planned budgets and it is hard to shift that plan midway/late in the cycle.
3) From all accounts, it sounds like devs relatively recently have recieved dev kits (last couple months). This is why Nintendo is not confirming any games yet. These companies need time to use the dev kit and perform proof of concept with their in-development games on the hardware. By January that is to be completed and we'll see what 3rd parties will do. Specifically speaking of RDR2, I think Take Two enjoys money and if it will work on the hardware it may just come late when they can put planning/budget to it, unless the middleware being used makes the porting a very minor impact.

All I see is excuses.

""bbu bbuut buutt"

Xbox and Playstation got all the 3rd parties a year after the consoles' launch even though those consoles ALSO were concurrently in development with 3rd party games, nobody used any excuses like you do, because it's normal and everyone expects that they get games like Destiny, Watch Dogs, Far Cry 4 etc.

If Nintendo was gonna have normal 3rd party support it'd already have contacted Take 2 before development began.

So why do you hype yourself up with a list of partners when one of the biggest games from one of those partners is skipping the Switch?

It's still a very powerful portable console capable of last gen home console performance. 2-3x wii u performance is great when docked and perhaps 50% over when portable.

At first I was p****d about Switch but I think overall it has potential. I personally don't really need a portable but I do need Nintendo games in my life!

Nintendo doesn't do cutting edge. They do enough to get the job done which for Nintendo is cartoon graphics and fun gameplay.