By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Remember when it was fine that SFV was launching incomplete because it was supposed to have great legs?

Tagged games:

TruckOSaurus said:
Nuvendil said:

A mol iz di refue erger far der make

Um... uh... right? I guess.

"Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease"

Quoted it in yiddish because...well, I was feeling a bit pretentious :P

Around the Network

Crazy to think that a mainline SF game is struggling to hit 2m people say that if it wasn't for the partnership it would have come out 2 years later but tbh that by the looks of things may have been a better option even with the partnership. Just let SFIV be competitive on PS4 for 2 more years then release SFV.

Wyrdness said:
Crazy to think that a mainline SF game is struggling to hit 2m people say that if it wasn't for the partnership it would have come out 2 years later but tbh that by the looks of things may have been a better option even with the partnership. Just let SFIV be competitive on PS4 for 2 more years then release SFV.

Artists thrive on restrictions. People like to pretend it's not true but it is. With no funding from Sony, Capcom would have had to work really hard and stretch the development out to get the game right; with the added bonus of two consoles getting the game. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Wyrdness said:

Artists thrive on restrictions. People like to pretend it's not true but it is. With no funding from Sony, Capcom would have had to work really hard and stretch the development out to get the game right; with the added bonus of two consoles getting the game. 

There are always hard restrictions whether your project is funded by someone else or not. Maybe they would have taken their time and made a better, more complete game without the Sony funding, maybe not. Though, if they had funding, and still put out a bare bones, free to play inspired DLC experiment, I have a hard time believing it would have been much if any better without the funding. Financially it would have been better for them, they'd have three fanbases to sell the game and more importantly DLC to instead of two. Microsoft found enough support for Killer Instinct to make three seasons. Street Fighter would have done well.

Splatoon WON.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

There are always hard restrictions whether your project is funded by someone else or not. Maybe they would have taken their time and made a better, more complete game without the Sony funding, maybe not. Though, if they had funding, and still put out a bare bones, free to play inspired DLC experiment, I have a hard time believing it would have been much if any better without the funding. Financially it would have been better for them, they'd have three fanbases to sell the game and more importantly DLC to instead of two. Microsoft found enough support for Killer Instinct to make three seasons. Street Fighter would have done well.

Well I was speaking more generally as a whole, of course any argument based on estimates is faliable, because they're just estimates. It just seems like restrictions really do make better art a lot of the time. I think without funding from Sony, it would have at least taken more time to develop, which wouldn't necessarily result in a better product, but could give the game time to air out. Plus it would release on multiple platforms. As true as it is that in an alternate dimension it still sucked with more restrictions, it could be the opposite way around as well.

Ultra Street Fighter II is the better title. And this game should make gamers proud. We decided not to put up with the bullshit and hopefully Capcom stops trying to pull this shit on us.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Crapcom's deals with sony royally fucked them over these days I think. I don't think MH world will sell as well as the portable titles...

um... wrong thread?

Not really, I remember people comparing these two games for having similar launch strategies. Splatoon might have been pretty basic at first but actually delivered more content later on and with each update the experience broadened. Plus it had better legs.

Kai_Mao said:

Kinda weird since games like Splatoon applied similar tactics in terms of building content through updates as the game evolves over-time.

Splatoon 1 had a fully featured single player campaign. While it lacked in MP. It had a proper story mode. SFV had almost NOTHING. When it's a fighting game. A Genre that doesn't have all that much content to begin with. Also, Splat was the first in the series. Not encumbered by capcom's image of making 30 versions of one game. So you have people who are: A: waiting to see if Capcom actually will stick to their word and never release an ultimate version. A lot of people myself included stopped buying their fighting games when Ulimate MVC 3 came out and the original game was totally dropped. With the excuse of the Earthquake did it. B: Expected to see the minium content that was in SFIV. C: Waiting for what Capcom promised at a later date. D: People boycotted them for releasing it early for the sack of esports.