By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo Switch Will Support Micro SDXC Cards Up To 128GB In Capacity

People are really jumping the gun here, just because we are learning about this information for the first time you guys act like the 3rd parties that already pledged support don't know how Nintendo plans on handling this with the Switch!

Declaring that certain 3rd party games won't come or this will undoubtedly limit game developers some how is extremely premature at this stage...

Around the Network
Ck1x said:
People are really jumping the gun here, just because we are learning about this information for the first time you guys act like the 3rd parties that already pledged support don't know how Nintendo plans on handling this with the Switch! 

They made a blank pledge of support. As long as they don't announce their games, it means nothing. Ubisoft support the Switch, fine. Does this mean new Just Dance and Rabbids games, or future Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed games too? Huge difference, and we don't have any information about it.

Until now, we know that the Switch will get Nobunaga's Ambition, Sonic, Just Dance and Dragon Quest 11 (but we don't know which version, handheld or home console). That's not enough to clarify the doubts coming from the information of this thread.

Versus_Evil said:

Sure, you (i assume) wont be installing every game like you have to on Xo/Ps4 but Patches will eat up alot of that space.

Buy another SD card.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
Switch owners will be playing games immediately while the PS4/XBO are downloading and/or installing.

Switch is not a replacement/alternative to a PS4/XB1 for anyone who is really serious about the types of games the PS4/XB1 are known for. 

Switch is a very nice portable game system that should perform nicely above last-gen machines like the PS3/360/Wii U, will primarily be driven by Nintendo games, the same 3rd parties on 3DS, and some Western support here and there, most of that being smaller scale indie games and not the big AAA titles. 

Which you have the option of playing on your TV at home if it strikes your fancy. 

I think that much is becoming fairly obvious. 

That is not nearly enough - PS4/XBO 500GB systems struggle with space. Not to mention that SD cards of that size are actually quite expensive.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Switch owners will be playing games immediately while the PS4/XBO are downloading and/or installing.

Switch is not a replacement/alternative to a PS4/XB1 for anyone who is really serious about the types of games the PS4/XB1 are known for. 

Switch is a very nice portable game system that should perform nicely above last-gen machines like the PS3/360/Wii U, will primarily be driven by Nintendo games, the same 3rd parties on 3DS, and some Western support here and there, most of that being smaller scale indie games and not the big AAA titles. 

Which you have the option of playing on your TV at home if it strikes your fancy. 

I think that much is becoming fairly obvious. 

Pretty much, this, except for the "very nice portable game system". If the battery lasts less than 3 hours, it's more a "transportable" game system than portable.

(and I really, really hope than you can charge the battery without the dock, it's not confirmed yet...)

Faelco said:
Ck1x said:

They made a blank pledge of support. As long as they don't announce their games, it means nothing. Ubisoft support the Switch, fine. Does this mean new Just Dance and Rabbids games, or future Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed games too? Huge difference, and we don't have any information about it.

Until now, we know that the Switch will get Nobunaga's Ambition, Sonic, Just Dance and Dragon Quest 11 (but we don't know which version, handheld or home console). That's not enough to clarify the doubts coming from the information of this thread.

Let's be absolutely certain about something, I don't care what kind of storage the machine uses if the Switch is a success publishers will find a way to get their games on the device. At this point these are all just rumors, yet majority of the concerns are treating them as fact! So at this very moment there are no legitimate concerns to stress about when it comes to storage just yet... 

Ck1x said:
Faelco said:

Let's be absolutely certain about something, I don't care what kind of storage the machine uses if the Switch is a success publishers will find a way to get their games on the device. At this point these are all just rumors, yet majority of the concerns are treating them as fact! So at this very moment there are no legitimate concerns to stress about when it comes to storage just yet... 

You're right, but so far every information about the Switch was leaked accurately, so we can at least imagine this as true ^^. It's more interesting than the clueless predictions games from 5M to 200M...

Yeah I think LPVG/Eurogamer/Emily Rogers have earned the benefit of the doubt for now. If they are reporting something it's more than likely legit concerning the NS. They got basically everything else right.

V-r0cK said:
If the NS is to be on par with PS4/XB1 then I have a feeling that might not be enough.

1. 3DS was stated to only support 32GB (or was it 64?) but people use 128GB or more without issue.
2. While not perfect, you can own multiple SDCards.
3. For a device that has to also be portable, you do not want to push a HDD in the device. Space, energy usage and price all go up. I think its a good trade-off to be forced to use SDCards vs having a larger, maybe 500GB built-in HDD. Likely, this will actually support 512 SD Cards anyways based on 3DS difference.