By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo Switch Will Support Micro SDXC Cards Up To 128GB In Capacity

teigaga said:
Lol at people still expecting Switch to receive the same third party support as PS4/X1. I far as I'm concerned this was never on the cards outside of a few franchises.

Until this news, it was very much still in the cards.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
Ha! Digital my ass!
Physical all the way!

This isn't just about physical vs. digital, dude. This literally effects how successful the console will be, which effects the games it will get, both from 3rd party and 1st party. This is very crippling news for everyone if there is no out of the ass way to solve it.

spemanig said:
teigaga said:
Lol at people still expecting Switch to receive the same third party support as PS4/X1. I far as I'm concerned this was never on the cards outside of a few franchises.

You still have to swap disks on the PS4 and XBone, no?

You do know there was a time when you swapped a game out and it would play instantly without installing?

We're going back to those times.

I don't get how people can turn 'the end of half day installations' into a negative. There is a reason most people play consoles instead of PCs and this is one of them.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

spemanig said:
Jranation said:
Ha! Digital my ass!
Physical all the way!

This isn't just about physical vs. digital, dude. This literally effects how successful the console will be, which effects the games it will get, both from 3rd party and 1st party. This is very crippling news for everyone if there is no out of the ass way to solve it.

No it doesn't and I'm starting to think your trolling.

Well played if you are, you got me.

Soundwave said:
sethnintendo said:

I'm guessing there are USB ports on the dock so one could assume that there might be external USB hard drive support like the Wii U has.

There are USB ports on the dock. 

There is no HDD support according to LPVG. 

There would likely be HDD corruption/read problems if/when people started just taking the system off the dock as the game was accessing a HDD too. 

Not that it replaces a HDD, but maybe for people who want to be more digital only perhaps Nintendo could give them the option of using the cartridge slot as a secondary SD Card port. That way you could have two SD Cards in the system instead of one, that could be an OK way to double+ your storage space if you don't like buying physical games. 

It doesn't replace a HDD but it's better than nothing. 

That's literally what Pyro as Bill was suggesting when he said the bit about 512GB game cards. It's basically propietary memory and there's no way they'd get it cheap enough.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

There are USB ports on the dock. 

There is no HDD support according to LPVG. 

There would likely be HDD corruption/read problems if/when people started just taking the system off the dock as the game was accessing a HDD too. 

Not that it replaces a HDD, but maybe for people who want to be more digital only perhaps Nintendo could give them the option of using the cartridge slot as a secondary SD Card port. That way you could have two SD Cards in the system instead of one, that could be an OK way to double+ your storage space if you don't like buying physical games. 

It doesn't replace a HDD but it's better than nothing. 

That's literally what Pyro as Bill was suggesting when he said the bit about 512GB game cards. It's basically propietary memory and there's no way they'd get it cheap enough.

The SD cards aren't proprietary. The cart that allows the SD would be and would cost about $5. Use your own SD cards.

You're ignoring the fact that large games don't have to be installed when using a cart therefore you don't need the HD space reqd for XB/PS4.

Switch owners will be playing games immediately while the PS4/XBO are downloading and/or installing.

Pyro as Bill said:
spemanig said:

You still have to swap disks on the PS4 and XBone, no?

You do know there was a time when you swapped a game out and it would play instantly without installing?

We're going back to those times.

I don't get how people can turn 'the end of half day installations' into a negative. There is a reason most people play consoles instead of PCs and this is one of them.

I know that I wanted to be nicer, but you're not making any sense lol what are you talking about? What 8th gen game requires disk swapping? How is going back to swapping media a good thing? Are you talking about games spanning multiple disks? You think THAT is a good thing for Switch? What you are suggesting literally isn't going to happen. It would be hilariously expensive.

Pyro as Bill said:
spemanig said:

No it doesn't and I'm starting to think your trolling.

Well played if you are, you got me.

I am the straight man of VGChartz. I don't troll.

sethnintendo said:
m_csquare said:
No port for external HDD or SSD? I guess i have to say goodbye to 3rd party support then. No FF7r, No Dark souls, and definitely no Bethesda AAA rpg.

I guess at this point I should just accept NS as a glorified handheld than a hybrid console

I'm guessing there are USB ports on the dock so one could assume that there might be external USB hard drive support like the Wii U has.

Apparently Nintendo wont allow that.

They want it to be able to switch from any game your playing (on the tv) to on the go, instantly.

That cant happend if anything is stored on the dock or via the dock.

Pyro as Bill said:
Switch owners will be playing games immediately while the PS4/XBO are downloading and/or installing.

Did you ever install a game on a PS4? It usually takes seconds or minutes top, not half a day like you were saying.

And it's really cute to see so much people for the physical market and against the digital one. Except that the world changed, digital is big now and getting bigger everyday. If you can't download a game on the Switch because there isn't enough space, the console will die quickly as a home console. The hardcore fans will buy it, but a lot of people won't because of this. A home console unable to offer digital games in good conditions is at least one or two generations late.

Let's not talk about all the big third party AAA with their updates using dozens of GB, they will be delighted to see that those games won't be playable on the Switch...