By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo president essentially confirms Switch is a handheld

Didn't Nintendo also say it was a console the day before the reveal trailer as well?

But seriously, I don't know why people have to try to prove what the console is. It's which ever you'd like it to be, whether a console or portable. The name says it all.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Kerotan said:

I wonder are they done with traditional home consoles forever? 

I think they are. I'm thinking this is the last real hardware Nintendo makes. I'm sure there will be a SNES Mini and maybe a N64 Mini. But to me, Switch is their transitional hardware before going full mobile. When they go full mobile, they will instead make a lineup of controllers that fit phones and have bluetooth connectivity and instead offer their games through a mobile platform like ios and android.

Wii U will be the last home console they will ever make. Switch will be their last handheld. I used to think that Nintendo would be the last hardware maker, but they might be the first one out the door.

If that ever happens hopefully they still make AAA comsole games for other manufacturers.  would be a shame to lose them completely to mobile. 

It's certainly not not a handheld.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I know how to figure this out. Watch the trailer and decide for yourself what it is.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
I know how to figure this out. Watch the trailer and decide for yourself what it is.

Yeah, I watched the trailer and what I got out of it is that it is really a 2016 version of the WiiU.  With better tech, Nintendo has literally delivered what it seems that they really wanted to deliver 4 years ago.  I can't wait to see more info on this.  My 4 kids all have Ds or 3ds.  I am hoping that the new device does more than what they showed in the trailer.  I am hoping it has or will have apps and such.  If so, I won't need kindles/ipads for my younger children.  But, the cost of buying 3 of these(my oldest won't give up his cell) for my kids 12 and under will be pricey.  I will probably wait a year and watch for some deals or bundles.

Sounds like Mid January we will know a lot more.

Either way, it is clearly a handheld/portable, not a home console!

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

The problem with the switch is that it's not a very good handheld (large, awkward controls, fears about short battery life) and not a very good home console (under powered, low storage, screen is useless while playing on tv)

So neither fan base (console vs handheld) wants it to be either/or. Let the 3ds continue with possibly a real successor, and give the switch a proper home version with extra power without paying for a useless screen.

It's great for those that love both the console and handheld experience. Hopefully that cross-over crowd is big enough to make it a success.

It is both, come on, how hard is it to get? It is a portable home console, that is it. And it is more powerful than a WiiU and it will have all big Nintendo frachises and you can take it in trips.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Darwinianevolution said:
Isn't that clear? It is a handheld that can hook up to the TV and a home console that you can play on the go. They will market it however they please because of that.

It makes perfect sense to me. Some people just can't wrap their head around the fact that it can be both. Never has a handheld been so designed for home play, or a home console been so designed for portability.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

spemanig said:
That's not how I read that at all. He's saying that he's confident people won't mistake Switch for a 3DS successor, because it isn't. It's a portable home console. Nintendo's official statement on the matter is that it's a home gaming system. One that is portable.

Yeah this is how I took it as well.

I can see how people could easily think it's one or the other since we're dealing with a new concept here.

Kerotan said:
bunchanumbers said:
Its what I've been saying. At least Nintendo quit beating around the bushes. Now maybe people can stop with trying to claim that a tablet is a home console.

I wonder are they done with traditional home consoles forever? 

The usual cylce would mean that they release a new home console in two years. The cycle is somewhat broken though by positioning switch as a successor to the WiiU. I think it is possible they release two years from now a Switch dock, that gives Switch-games more power and possibly allow games only for playing when Switch is docked. But if Switch goes well without that trick, they might as well abandon home console forever.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]