By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo president essentially confirms Switch is a handheld

pokoko said:
It's going to be positioned closer to a handheld in Japan and a home console in the west, even if they don't come out and SAY that. That's because it's an easier sell in both regions if they foster those perceptions.

Otherwise, who really cares? It plays video-games. Just decide if it's the thing that plays video-games the best relative to your tastes and buy it or not based on that.

I'm not sure about that, to be honest. The thing has a pretty heavy focus on portability in its marketing so far as it is, and I don't see that changing. I honestly just think that the West has been late on the whole mobility thing when it comes to gaming that isn't mobile. I think that playing habits will be different between regions, but I don't think the marketing will be. In the West, laptops have become more popular than desktops, and tablets are even starting to rival laptops as the most used personal computer. I see the Switch starting a similar situation for consoles. Switch is the console laptablet.

Who knows, though. Maybe the West will look at it more like a laptop, and maybe Japan will look at it more like a tablet, but in the end it'll still be more of a combination of the two than one or the other.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

I am!

You are what we in the biz call "the 2%" lol

The Switch is going to be the best 1st party supported Nintendo system in years. Enough said. Day ONE purchase.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Isn't this just semantics? You can hook it up to a TV and friends can hang out and play together in the living room. Or you can take it on the train or plane and play solo on a portable device.

It functions as both. Why do we need to label it?

You also can ask Nintendo that. :L

Everything has a label, easier to describe with just one word rather than multiple sentences. I wouldn't call the Switch a handheld or home console as neither of those tell the full story like calling it a hybrid does, but yeah it doesn't matter too much and I won't jump on anyone for calling it differently.

I think you're overthinking this a little...

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
bunchanumbers said:
Its what I've been saying. At least Nintendo quit beating around the bushes. Now maybe people can stop with trying to claim that a tablet is a home console.

I wonder are they done with traditional home consoles forever? 

I think they are. I'm thinking this is the last real hardware Nintendo makes. I'm sure there will be a SNES Mini and maybe a N64 Mini. But to me, Switch is their transitional hardware before going full mobile. When they go full mobile, they will instead make a lineup of controllers that fit phones and have bluetooth connectivity and instead offer their games through a mobile platform like ios and android.

Wii U will be the last home console they will ever make. Switch will be their last handheld. I used to think that Nintendo would be the last hardware maker, but they might be the first one out the door.

We already know what the Switch is.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

No, that's not what he is implying..

but the greater question is, does this matter?

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Nintendo just revealed that they are having a Switch presentation on Jan 17, 2017. Just got a PR email about it.

Megaoverlord12 said:
WHO CARES? Why can't it be both exactly? It performs the functions of both. Home consoles are consoles you hook up to your tv to play. Portables are consoles you can play anywhere. This does both.

/thread

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261