By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo president essentially confirms Switch is a handheld

bunchanumbers said:
Its what I've been saying. At least Nintendo quit beating around the bushes. Now maybe people can stop with trying to claim that a tablet is a home console.

I wonder are they done with traditional home consoles forever? 

Around the Network

This doesn't confirm anything... It just says that Nintendo thinks people will not see it the same way they see the 3DS.

Nintendo will likely continue their portable line. The DS line sells huge to younger gamers whose parents are looking for something cheap and portable. The mobile market makes this a bit trickier for Nintendo, but there is no way they're just giving up on that part of the market.

It's going to be positioned closer to a handheld in Japan and a home console in the west, even if they don't come out and SAY that. That's because it's an easier sell in both regions if they foster those perceptions.

Otherwise, who really cares? It plays video-games. Just decide if it's the thing that plays video-games the best relative to your tastes and buy it or not based on that.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Isn't this just semantics? You can hook it up to a TV and friends can hang out and play together in the living room. Or you can take it on the train or plane and play solo on a portable device.

It functions as both. Why do we need to label it?

/thread to end all /threads

No, no he didn't.

Around the Network

It's not a handheld, it's a mid-core, console skeptic device. :D

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Isn't this just semantics? You can hook it up to a TV and friends can hang out and play together in the living room. Or you can take it on the train or plane and play solo on a portable device.

It functions as both. Why do we need to label it?

this. if the specs are good and it doubles as a handheld and a home TV device then why the obsession with specifically labeling it as a handheld? generally handheld do not have docking stations built for constant TV use (if you choose)

zippy said:
Well not necessarily. It could mean that because 3DS is still gaining support, Nintendo feel the need to point out that they are completely different products. You know how easy the masses can be confused *cough Wii U*

this too. the 3DS is still selling fairly well, Nintendo is just doing what they did with the DS in relationship to the GBA- covering their bases as to not discourage current buyers of their handheld 

Its like the PsVita and PsVita TV in one package.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

My brain....

Firstly that statement actually says the opposite. Switch will replace Wii U with immediate effect whilst the 3DS will continue as a distinct platform with future software support.

Secondly, this debate over whether a hybrid, dual functional system is a portable or home console is one if the most void, pointless debates I've seen on this site.