By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo president essentially confirms Switch is a handheld

spemanig said:
That's not how I read that at all. He's saying that he's confident people won't mistake Switch for a 3DS successor, because it isn't. It's a portable home console. Nintendo's official statement on the matter is that it's a home gaming system. One that is portable.

Spot on.  this kids, is what happens when you pay attention and have a firm grasp on reality.

Around the Network

Nope, they have confirmed it as a primarily home console with portably, a "hybrid". People don't consider handhelds as consoles, so they're trying to make it seem like Nintendo is a handheld only company, so that they canmake it seem like Nintendo isn't as good as the other two.

It's both a handheld and a home console at the same time, Schrödinger cat teas.

Its a home console that can be taken on the go. He's trying to say that people should not assume its a 3DS successor.

Oh. But its both.

Btw i was reading that quote expecting "the switch is a handheld" right there it says that consumer will understand why the thing is different than the 3ds. 

??????????????????????

Yeah its different because its a handheld AND a home console, or a home console and a hanheld... essentially both.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Isn't this just semantics? You can hook it up to a TV and friends can hang out and play together in the living room. Or you can take it on the train or plane and play solo on a portable device.

It functions as both. Why do we need to label it?

Pretty much this.

Alright....now Nintendo is scaring me. If they don't know how to talk about NX, I think this whole thing is going to be another mess.

Nintendo said it's a home console. Done.

Nintendo is positioning the Switch as a "third pillar" like they did the DS. If it takes off, the 3DS will slowly fade away like the Gameboy before it.

Well not necessarily. It could mean that because 3DS is still gaining support, Nintendo feel the need to point out that they are completely different products. You know how easy the masses can be confused *cough Wii U*