By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Calls Scorpio “The Only Console” Capable Of “True 4K” and “Hi-Fidelity VR”

Ganoncrotch said:
ManUtdFan said:

Frame rate > resolution > everything else (esp. pointless effects the master race wank over)

Well.... pointless effects are by their name pointless, but I definitely wouldn't rate things like FXAA and MXAA as being pointless effects, which ones are you talking about? also probably best to tone down the dislike for the group you're talking about just even one tiny bit, I don't think anyone actually does that over effects.

Supersampling/anti-aliasing are at the important end of 'pointless effects'. A higher resolution still trumps it though. More generally, have you ever played a PC game on medium settings and preferred it to ultra high?

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Imaginedvl said:

Well yah our dollars is not as good as it was against the USD anymore but I'm already use to it hehe

But yah, it can be quite striking sometime. When I bought my Hololens for something close to 5000$ CAD (with taxes); it had quite an impact on my gaming/gadget "budget"

In any way; I'm fine with the scorpio being between 499$ and 699$ CAD 

I would be best if it didn't hit more than $499 here. $699 isn't unreasonable but it will undoubtedly impact it's adoption rate in a negative way. I have not been following Hololense, at all, since it's unveil. Didn't even know it was out. Do you have the Development Edition?

Yes, the Development Edution :)

ManUtdFan said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Well.... pointless effects are by their name pointless, but I definitely wouldn't rate things like FXAA and MXAA as being pointless effects, which ones are you talking about? also probably best to tone down the dislike for the group you're talking about just even one tiny bit, I don't think anyone actually does that over effects.

Supersampling/anti-aliasing are at the important end of 'pointless effects'. A higher resolution still trumps it though. More generally, have you ever played a PC game on medium settings and preferred it to ultra high?

In your post you say framerate and resolution are more important than any other effect, that isn't right at all,  my pc right now could play games at 16k resolution at 120fps providing I had the draw distance of gpolice from the psone (about 2meters in front of your ship)  of course no one in their right mind would take that over a 1080/60 game which is functional as a game?  Surely? 

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
ManUtdFan said:

In your post you say framerate and resolution are more important than any other effect, that isn't right at all,  my pc right now could play games at 16k resolution at 120fps providing I had the draw distance of gpolice from the psone (about 2meters in front of your ship)  of course no one in their right mind would take that over a 1080/60 game which is functional as a game?  Surely? 

Your speaking of 16k resolution and 120fps, is like the audiophile argument positing 24 bit 192 khz audio as superior to 16 bit 44.1 khz. It's a falsehood based on an erroneous premise, that higher numbers always equal better performance. It really comes down to what the human eye or ear can perceive.

Regarding graphics, my subjective opinion in order of priority:

1) high frame rate, preferably locked over variable/dynamic

2) high resolution

3) texture detail, number of triangles, anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing

4) wankathon effects e.g. lighting, shadows 

ManUtdFan said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Your speaking of 16k resolution and 120fps, is like the audiophile argument positing 24 bit 192 khz audio as superior to 16 bit 44.1 khz. It's a falsehood based on an erroneous premise, that higher numbers always equal better performance. It really comes down to what the human eye or ear can perceive.

2) high resolution

Deminishing returns.

Even 4k is pushing it I think.

I know someone will post that damn picture that shows "worth it or not" + "distance from tv" + "screen size".

Where "worth it" actually means, the human eye is able to tell its better or not.

Most people are fine with 1080p.

Its also why I think the scorpio wont have as big a effect as most xbox users seem to think.

PS4pro with its checkerboard rendering technique is pretty close to real 4k, and honestly at this point jaggies arnt a issue.

Price differnce between the PS4pro & Scorpio will be a much more important matter for most consumers.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Zekkyou said:

I've seen instances of people believing the Pro and X1S are comparable because they're both 'up-scaling to 4k' (this more on reddit than here), but even then it'd be an exaggeration to say they make up the majority of any group. 

On a side note, 1530p is just a rounding of 2x1080p (it's about 0.3% off), which, to the best of my knowledge, is the minimum resolution needed to properly utilize checkerboard 4k. 1800p is 4k's 900p equivalent, which appears to be the standard native target.

As to my knowledge, there is no "1530p" and I doubt we will ever see that resolution in any game.

-snip-

Yeah, my bad for not explaining that further, of course you can't read my mind in any way.

It's not the actual fact that some people are participating but the way they do so. What I am wondering is why you say that others do that, too - it's a known fact that this is just usual behaviour

As you should know, I always like to participate in technical discussions so I know both sides and know the way they are behaving and posting. I am just the unpleasant person who often calls bullshit when people exaggerate or make false assumptions or talk bullshit in general.

If my post has heated up the discussion, I don't know but I don't really see that, considering how this thread started and seems to come to an end.

You're right we probably won't see games run at a native 1530p (though it wouldn't be the weirdest we've seen this gen :p), but the un-rounded version provides a exact 1:2 scaling of 4k. It's the lowest scaling you can reasonably use to produce a checkboard 4k image (since 2 out ever 4 pixels are filled, hence the checkerbord name), so i wouldn't be surprised to see it used for that on occasion.

While you're totally right that people often have less-than-honest reasons to involve themselves in a discussion, it's ultimately still rooting in an interesting to discuss and participate (far be it sometimes a misguided interested :p). Such posts are going to happen regardless, so it's better to simply address the points made than question motive. You're post didn't cause any problems here, i was just pointing out that it (without the context you offer here) does often lead to drama.

Anyway, i thank you for explaining your post :)

Normchacho said:

That is incorrect. 

Xbox One Ram: 8 GB DDR3 @ 68.26 GB/S + 32 MB ESRAM @ 218 GB/S

PS4 Ram: 8 GB GDDR5 @ 176 GB/S

The PS4 has a huge memory advantage.

Also, the only things we know about the Scorpio CPU are that it will have 8 cores, and that the won't be the new Zen cores. That means that we'll likely see a better CPU than the one in the Pro, but it probably won't be vastly more powerful.

Edit: It's not 47% more memory bandwidth AND an extra 4 GB of Ram. It's 47% more memory bandwidth BECAUSE it has 4 extra GB of Ram.

Xbox one doesn't have 218gbps of ram bandwith it has 170.3 gbps.

eSRAM has 102gbps and the ddr3 ram has 68.3 gbps

ManUtdFan said:
Ganoncrotch said:

2) high resolution

What I am saying to you is there is no point in having the upper 2 on this list if the 3rd is just completely ignored though, you can have a 4k game running at 60fps but with starfox esque graphics from the SNES as the number of triangles and texture detail are down on the priorities, for a game to look its best imo you always need a smooth balance of all of the above, I would equally think that a game with perfect looking textures and AA would look completely wrong without correct lighting and shadows to it, would ruin the whole effect of what is being displayed.

I would see your view being equal to someone who suggests the only thing which matters about a painting is the canvas which is used being of a certain size and quality, regardless of if a child were to use crayons to scribble on it, would still be a fine painting because of it's size and image quality.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

The question is how much devs would bother to make a 4K native version.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Areaz32 said:
Normchacho said:

That is incorrect. 

Xbox One Ram: 8 GB DDR3 @ 68.26 GB/S + 32 MB ESRAM @ 218 GB/S

PS4 Ram: 8 GB GDDR5 @ 176 GB/S

The PS4 has a huge memory advantage.

Also, the only things we know about the Scorpio CPU are that it will have 8 cores, and that the won't be the new Zen cores. That means that we'll likely see a better CPU than the one in the Pro, but it probably won't be vastly more powerful.

Edit: It's not 47% more memory bandwidth AND an extra 4 GB of Ram. It's 47% more memory bandwidth BECAUSE it has 4 extra GB of Ram.

Xbox one doesn't have 218gbps of ram bandwith it has 170.3 gbps.

eSRAM has 102gbps and the ddr3 ram has 68.3 gbps

oooh okay, seems MS was taking part in some technical trickery to claim the higher bandwidth. Noted.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.