By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Calls Scorpio “The Only Console” Capable Of “True 4K” and “Hi-Fidelity VR”

Ganoncrotch said:
ManUtdFan said:

Your speaking of 16k resolution and 120fps, is like the audiophile argument positing 24 bit 192 khz audio as superior to 16 bit 44.1 khz. It's a falsehood based on an erroneous premise, that higher numbers always equal better performance. It really comes down to what the human eye or ear can perceive.

Regarding graphics, my subjective opinion in order of priority:

1) high frame rate, preferably locked over variable/dynamic

2) high resolution

3) texture detail, number of triangles, anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing

4) wankathon effects e.g. lighting, shadows 

What I am saying to you is there is no point in having the upper 2 on this list if the 3rd is just completely ignored though, you can have a 4k game running at 60fps but with starfox esque graphics from the SNES as the number of triangles and texture detail are down on the priorities, for a game to look its best imo you always need a smooth balance of all of the above, I would equally think that a game with perfect looking textures and AA would look completely wrong without correct lighting and shadows to it, would ruin the whole effect of what is being displayed.

I would see your view being equal to someone who suggests the only thing which matters about a painting is the canvas which is used being of a certain size and quality, regardless of if a child were to use crayons to scribble on it, would still be a fine painting because of it's size and image quality.

I know what you're saying but you're taking what I said out of context. I'm not saying texture details, triangle numbers are not important. But too much emphasis is put on them, at the expense of a higher resolution. When playing far cry games for example, I want to be able to easily distinguish allies from enemies (not forsaking ability to mark them), but from point of view of sub-optimal resolution and somewhat blurry anti-aliasing, those things do NOT help, especially amidst dense foliage and lots of movement in the wind.

I'm sorry but lighting and shadows when using graphics intensive code are wankathon effects. You can do these on low resource and they still look half-decent. And I disagree with your point about a game with 'perfect looking textures' looking wrong without superlative added effects. For the simple reason that there's no such thing as perfect looking textures. I've never seen a game that looks genuinely photo-realistic.

That being said, imo it's better for graphics programmers to concentrate on smooth motion and sharp clear images before anything else.