By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Calls Scorpio “The Only Console” Capable Of “True 4K” and “Hi-Fidelity VR”

What is the difference in Memory between PS4/Xbox One and Scorpio ?

Even if a game like Minecraft runs at 4K on the Switch or the Pro, this doesn't means that the Xbox One is the only console with true 4K.

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:

If Sony said 1080p makes you a better gamer to mock X1 lack of it. I don't see the problem with boasting about how their platform is better designed to achieve 4K.

In a time when XB1 was having to run last gen remasters at 720p/ 30 FPS, while PS4 was running 95% of it's games in native 1080p, Sony certainly wasnt wrong. There's a pretty substantial difference between that and just outright lying. 

What last gen remasters are running 720p/30 fps? The only 720p/30 fps games I can think of are Quantum Break and Dead Rising 3.

Again, I said MS's choice of words was bad. If anything, Scorpio will be able to do "True 4K" in some of the best looking 8th gen games. That's the message I assume they're going for.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Swordmasterman said:

Even if a game like Minecraft runs at 4K on the Switch or the Pro, this doesn't means that the Xbox One is the only console with true 4K.

Ps4 Pros has 218GB/s
Xb1 Scorpio has 320GB/s

Scorpio has 47% more memory bandwith + 4GB more Ram

Scorpio will be ~50% above Ps4 Pro in pretty much all parts.
GPU, Memory, CPU
That is different from Ps4 vs Xb1, where just the GPU of the PS4 was 50% more powerful, but Memory on par and CPU even slighlty in favour of Xbox One

infesta said:
Swordmasterman said:

Ps4 Pros has 218GB/s
Xb1 Scorpio has 320GB/s

The difference between Scorpio and Pro will be the  same of the PS4 and Xbox One.

Swordmasterman said:
infesta said:

Ps4 Pros has 218GB/s
Xb1 Scorpio has 320GB/s

The difference between Scorpio and Pro will be the  same of the PS4 and Xbox One.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Imaginedvl said:

Did not know we had details about pricing yet, especially in CAD. Care to share your source?

In any case I expect something around 499$-599 USD / 599-699$ CAD which is perfectly fine with me or maybe your source are talking about something higher?

My source is the weak Canadian dollar. lol. Just speculating, but most everything is bad here now. PS4 Pro being a notable exception, which is selling for roughly $150 less than it should be. With the exchange as it is, it should be around $640 here, (rough estimate) but its only $499. PSVR is $650 WITHOUT the bundle though. Ha. No break there. It all depends on what MS does. Again, speculation. But fairly grounded speculation. New games are $80-$100 dollars now. :( Even Vita games are $60--$70 with tax. A few cost even more. I wait for sales more than ever now, but with the Vita, that's impossible. Gotta pay full or suck my thumb.

Well yah our dollars is not as good as it was against the USD anymore but I'm already use to it hehe

But yah, it can be quite striking sometime. When I bought my Hololens for something close to 5000$ CAD (with taxes); it had quite an impact on my gaming/gadget "budget"

In any way; I'm fine with the scorpio being between 499$ and 699$ CAD 

All that power comes at a price...or a loss. Both can destroy a console launch. But I'm optimistic, maybe Microsoft found a way to make it affordable without taking a loss.

infesta said:
Swordmasterman said:

Ps4 Pros has 218GB/s
Xb1 Scorpio has 320GB/s

GPU, Memory, CPU
That is different from Ps4 vs Xb1, where just the GPU of the PS4 was 50% more powerful, but Memory on par and CPU even slighlty in favour of Xbox One

Well... I do not think anyway will argue that the Scorpio is way more powerfull than the Play Station Four Pro :)

Now, the +4GB of ram are just speculations and Microsoft never confirmed that (I actually doubt it).

Swordmasterman said:
infesta said:

Ps4 Pros has 218GB/s
Xb1 Scorpio has 320GB/s

It will likely be a moderate about larger, but the real-world end result could be comparable. It's going to be a while before we have the data necessary to make firm predictions though.

infesta said:
Swordmasterman said:

Ps4 Pros has 218GB/s
Xb1 Scorpio has 320GB/s

GPU, Memory, CPU

Actually we dont officially know how much ram the Scorpio has.

Its believed it will have 12 GB.

PS4pro has 8GB of GDDR5 and 1GB of DDR3 (for system stuff, so it can use the GDDR for gameing) (9 GB total).

PS4pro also has memory bandwidth compression (its 218 GB/S is more than it seems compaired to the old PS4/XB1)

Anyways for all that "its 50% above" talk, so is native 4k.

Chances are the games will run the same frame rates, same graphic settings, and the only differnt will be the Native or not 4k.

Checkerboard rendering seems like a very smart half-step.

The higher resolutions go, the harder it is to spot the gains from doing so.