By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Repost: Emily Rogers "Why you should be excited about (Switch)’s software output"

DanneSandin said:
1 console means less revenue from HW - and this system will not outsell the 3DS even

3DS & Wii U were both sold at a loss at certain points of their lives, if Switch is sold at a profit from day 1 than it can potentially be more profitable than 3DS/Wii U were even if it sells less.

Also we have no idea how well Switch will sell, for all we know it could become a massive hit, there is literally nothing to base sales on at this point.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

It would be crazy to expect anything else really. I'm sure Nintendo has learned their lesson in this regard.

Slarvax said:
Alkibiádēs said:
She was dead wrong about Link being female though, has she ever addressed that again?

Yeah, and she was dead right about BotW having voice acting.

Crazy how some leaks are right and others wrong...

You know what would happen if I had knowledge about something? I'd get most of my predictions right. And what would happen if I was just throwing around educated guesses? Yup, I'd get some predictions right and some wrong. If you have enough knowledge in a matter, you can make pretty good guesses, some of which are bound to be correct. I'm not saying she's guessing because I'm guessing she's not, but your argument doesn't really sound too good to me.

zorg1000 said:
DanneSandin said:
1 console means less revenue from HW - and this system will not outsell the 3DS even

3DS & Wii U were both sold at a loss at certain points of their lives, if Switch is sold at a profit from day 1 than it can potentially be more profitable than 3DS/Wii U were even if it sells less.

Also we have no idea how well Switch will sell, for all we know it could become a massive hit, there is literally nothing to base sales on at this point.

There's plenty to base sales on - history and trends being a couple of those.

Soundwave said:
The output should be really good because you're going from 2 systems to just 1, so they better at least get that part right, that just seems like no problem.

Soundwave nailed it. Nintendo isn't going to have to split their development teams between two platforms. So the Switch should have more consistent releases from Nintendo. I'm still not expecting much from Western 3rd parties. The Switch seems right down Japan's alley, so I think Japanese 3rd party support will be solid.

I'm still waiting on Mother 3...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

History and trends mean jack shit, if they could accurately predict sales than Wii would have sold less than GC, PS3 would have had over 70% marketshare like PS1/PS2 did, PSP would have taken over the handheld market from Nintendo like they did with consoles instead of DS dominating and the Xbox brand would have went the way of CD-i, 3DO, Apple Pippin since no American company had a successful console in over 20 years.

Last generation is proof that history and trends dont mean anything when talking about future success/failures.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Slarvax said:
Alkibiádēs said:
She was dead wrong about Link being female though, has she ever addressed that again?

Yeah, and she was dead right about BotW having voice acting.

Crazy how some leaks are right and others wrong...

That was rumored to be the case before she said it. I keep track of her rumors in order to help disprove her as a "leaker". But yes, before she posted her "leak" about BotW having VA, it was already talked about by other leakers and even a few GAF threads

jonathanalis said:
After all she got right on switch, i devote my soul to emily. Not that you remembered me this, Im much more excited!

I wouldn't sell your soul to the devil so fast. Instead, why not devout your soul to Takashi Mochizuki? She steals information from him all the time and sells it as her own. Not only did he say Nintendo would reveal the NX 3 days before Emily, he's also got a perfect track record when it comes to Nintendo leaks for example he was the first to reveal that Nintendo's E3 would not have the NX and instead focus on BotW. 

zorg1000 said:
Lawlight said:

History and trends mean jack shit, if they could accurately predict sales than Wii would have sold less than GC, PS3 would have had over 70% marketshare like PS1/PS2 did, PSP would have taken over the handheld market from Nintendo like they did with consoles instead of DS dominating and the Xbox brand would have went the way of CD-i, 3DO, Apple Pippin since no American company had a successful console in over 20 years.

Last generation is proof that history and trends dont mean anything when talking about future success/failures.

Wii was a fad and an outlier and, along, with the DS captured an audience that is never ever coming back.

You're telling me that no one saw the 3DS and WiiU sales situation coming? I know I did. So stop using the exceptions to prove your point. Unless you're saying the Switch can make people stop carrying smartphones around or that people will move from the PS4 or X1 to the Switch. Think those things can happen?

Lawlight said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii was a fad and an outlier and, along, with the DS captured an audience that is never ever coming back.

You're telling me that no one saw the 3DS and WiiU sales situation coming? I know I did. So stop using the exceptions to prove your point. Unless you're saying the Switch can make people stop carrying smartphones around or that people will move from the PS4 or X1 to the Switch. Think those things can happen?

I gave you a whole list of "outliers" yet you decide to focus on just one.

You cant just disregard anything that doesnt support your argument.

Sega Genesis was an outlier, no other Sega device has sold over 15 million.

Gameboy was an outlier, no other device has ever had its best sales year a decade after launch.

Wii was an outlier, all Nintendo consoles had sold less than their predeccessor up to that point.

360 was an outlier, no American made console had ever sold over 40 million.

PSP was an outlier, no other non-Nintendo portable gaming device had ever been successful.

PS3 was an outlier, both previous PS consoles had over 70% marketshare.

At some point you have to realize, these arent "outliers" and that the gaming industry doesnt simply follow trends.

Let me guess, if Switch is successful than it will be an outlier as well?