By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

maxleresistant said:
The ps4 reveal was one of the best ever made. Nintendo should have learned from it.

As for the switch having a good buzz on the internet, of course, nintendo fanboys are always here to make a lot of noises and tbh the console is a good fit for gamers.
But the general public won't follow at all. The switch is really not made for them.

The switch could be a nice success though maybe up to 35 millions.
But not more than that, the concept, the size, the third party support, it won't be a success like the ps4 or the 3ds.

In my opinion Switchg is having a mixed buzz now and investors are a bit worried since Nintendo stocks fell after the reveal.

Dark_Feanor said:

Nothing to add.
NS will fail harder than the WiiU.

Moderated - Leadified

I'm not sure.

If NS gets a mainline Pokemon game, NS could sell more than Wii U easily. Not that Wii U sold a lot. lol

Arkaign said:
OP is pretty close to my thoughts, and I say that as someone who thought the WiiU's exclusives were far and away better than Sony's or Microsoft's.

Can a company succeed in selling a console without a lot of success in getting third party support and being people's 'primary' gaming box? I know Sony and Microsoft make a lot of money by :

Selling 1st party games
Selling 3rd party games (platform fees)
Selling paid online
Selling ad revenue
Selling expensive peripherals

Nintendo has the 1st party games and peripherals down pat, but misses a lot of revenue in being the place to play Cod/Madden/BF/Fifa/etc. Pretty much everyone has a primary console they play by default, because of friends/controller or whatever.

Tech wise I won't go into extreme detail, but it would take a combination of high cost and technological miracles for this to be any more than about Xbox One level, and it's probably a fair bit under that. IOW : perfectly fantastic for Nintendo IPs, but multiplats will suffer even if they get ported at all.

The Wii was one of those landmark moments where there was a complete craze about it. In a lot of ways, people bought it because it was popular, which sounds circular, but I know so many people that bought it for Wii Fit or Wii Sports, heck they were all over retirement homes even. It was a cultural phenomenon. Those were different times though. The 360 was barely getting started to be honest, and PS3 was this ludicrously expensive thing that was struggling a bit (talking USA market 06-08).

Let's look at the last 20 years of Nintendo Consoles

N64
Gamecube
Wii
WiiU

Show me the one that had great third party support?
Aside from the Wii, show me the one that had significant sales success?

1st party clearly isn't the problem, because I'd put the libraries of Nintendo Exclusives on those system up there as many of the best games of all time.

Price wasn't the problem for most of those, though WiiU was hamstrung a bit IMHO due to the BoM cost of the tablet (I still believe to this day had WiiU launched as Super Wii or whatever haha, and been just the same hardware sans tablet for $179, that it would have possibly double the install base)

I like Nintendo, I want them to succeed. I'm just not sure where the Switch fits in that will dramatically change the story for them. For those that want a good home console and don't care about mobility, it inarguably IS a compromise with the tablet form factor. Because think about it, the tablet choice causes :

1- Expenses to be tied up in a screen you don't care about or need.
2- Expenses to be tied up in a dock apparatus you don't care about or need.
3- Expenses to be tied up in a battery setup you don't care about or need.
4- Performance to be lower due to form factor constrictions (heat dissipation, pcb layout, size, power consumption)

In other words, the very design of Switch means that a hypothetical $250 device is instantly weaker than had it bad a traditional design without the mobile/tablet/battery path of tablet form factor. At the same time, it also means that if you decide on the exact same performance profile, something that might cost $250 to deliver in a tablet form factor could be sold for $129 or so without the screen, battery, and dock.

That doesn't matter if you DO want that as a compelling reason to buy the system, but IS that a compelling reason to buy the system? That's up to you. I would counter that the proven reason to buy Nintendo systems is their proven track record of outstanding 1st party titles that are often landmarks for their generations.

That's all I can say for now, I'll wait with everyone else for the results on this. I'm not very optimistic, but I suppose even if it fails to gain major support, at least it will bring some more excellent nintendo games, and that's a positive in my book.

People think that Nintendo can survive with Mario and Zelda only. The thing is, Wii U has Mario and Zelda and didn't survive. I'm not confident that Nintendo can survive more ten years by its own content alone.

The thing you said about the expenses on the screen you don't care is valid in vice versa, because for people that want handheld only experiece, the ideal is Nintendo releasing a tablet-only solution for $150.

So yes, NS is a weak home console and it might be an expensive tablet. :(

Viktor said:
Really weak argument from you, consoles in general are seen as less profitable than smartphone apps by investors and they judge accordingly. Pokemon Go alone will end up generating more combined profit than the whole PS division this year, just to put things in perspective.

Please, elaborate. Why do you believe that Pokemon Go alone will end up making all this profit. It's revenues are extraordinary so far, but you're talking about a lot of profit.

Mummelmann said:
padib said:

I know that Nintendo will be lacking games to show. I think there is an underlying problem too. But I don't think OP presented it properly.

I think choosing to do a teaser was the right way for Nintendo to go, because as I explained to torok in another thread, Nintendo always gets bashed when they show too much. People will always find something to fault them about. It's become a habit to bad-mouth Nintendo. So I personally believe they are doing the right thing to show less.

However, knowing Nintendo, I can see that they will have a sluggish start in terms of games, because they have a lot of 3rd party support for handhelds, but games for this will require much more dev time. The jump from 3DS to this is immense.

Having said that, the DS  also was off to a very slow start, but it eventually took off. I personally believe the same will happen on Switch. Slow start, worrisome at first but imho Nintendo has a winning formula with Switch so I think it's not worth it  to worry about too much.

Sorry it took so long to reply I was ultra busy yesterday and haven't been on since.

No worries, man, just came home from a 30 hour shift myself...

Well, you are someone I consider above average intelligent on these boards, and you make some good points. A teaser in itself may not be a bad idea, I disagree more with the actual content, and the somewhat confusing message from Nintendo in calling it a home gaming system when emphasis seems to lie on the mobile aspects, this is doubly confusing when adding the fact that they've denied that this is the successor to their actual handheld line, for now at least.

I think they're walking a dangerous path, they're going more or less right at the tablet segment of the market, with software that would otherwise not be played on tablet or smart devices, there's a good reason why most bigger and more complex software isn't published or widely played on tablets and phones. I think that the tablet form factor could harm more than help, it puts them directly in the line of fire in addition to causing certain limitations on things like battery life and, to a lesser extent, mobility. They need to convince what appears to be young adults and proffesionals in their 20's and 30's (if the teaser is anything to go by) that they want to carry with them an additional smart-like device, I think that it'll be a really tough sell. I fear they're going to place themselves somewhere between markets again with this solution.

The teaser and feel of this whole thing is also more like that of smart devices, where they spring details on you practically on the eve of launch, this is not how one traditionally shows and presents more static devices in consumer electronics, and this is another suggestion that they're actually chasing the smart-device touting young person. I'm just not sure that the typical Mario and Zelda fans, or Nintendo fans for that matter, are the same as this phone and tablet worshipping crowd (yeah, I know, Pokemon Go, Pokemon is its own thing since way back when and most people who play Go don't own a Wii U, for instance).

In short; Nintendo are seemingly, once more, trying to force a new market into being, not unlike with the Wii, which had an actual, unique hook for its target demographic with software that really complemented the hardware. They are pairing this with the attempted double-edged appeal of the Wii U, which we know failed spectacularly, and this has me worried for real.
I wanted Nintendo to sit down, analyze and respond to the market in a clever way, they are not in a position to simply whack together devices in order to be different and not think about whether or not the thing has an actual demographic.
Maybe I'm paranoid, dumb, or both, but I have a pretty bad feeling about the whole concept and the (in my opinion) somewhat confusing message(s) from Nintendo themselves regarding the whole thing (it's not a successor to handhelds, it's a home gaming system and not a hybrid, yet they focus mostly on mobile aspects, it makes no sense what so ever to me).

Maybe there's a master plan that I can't see, it wouldn't shock me, but it wouldn't shock me if there wasn't one either, to be honest.

It gets even worse when you think that they're selling it as a "home console".

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

Gonna wait until Jan 12th to judge and see if I agree with the op or not.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

the-pi-guy said:
Pavolink said:
Gonna wait until Jan 12th to judge and see if I agree with the op or not.

A lot of what the OP brings up, is about how little time we have to learn about this stuff.  

-They showed off a few games, and then afterwards told us that some of them weren't confirmed for the system.  

-Then we are told, we have to wait over 2 months to hear more about a system, that is supposed to come out in just a few months.  

They can absolutely make better moves when it comes to January, but the OP is basing things off how they are now.  And I can't disagree with it.  

But you cant know if moves Nintendo is making with Switch are good or bad for now, except we know that Switch trailer is much better than everything Nintendo done with Wii U, and definitely they have nothing with Wii U mistakes like OP suggesting, actuly only thing we know for sure (first Switch trailer) is tottaly oposite to Wii U reveal and trailer.

I think the main problem of Nintendo is the balance between mature gamers and very young children. Everery thing they do like games,marketing, public relations etc. is leaning heavily towards young children. Neglecting the older and real Nintendo-fans who wants more variety in games has led them to the current situation.

the-pi-guy said:
Miyamotoo said:

But you cant know if moves Nintendo is making with Switch are good or bad for now, except we know that Switch trailer is much better than everything Nintendo done with Wii U, and definitely they have nothing with Wii U mistakes like OP suggesting, actuly only thing we know for sure (first Switch trailer) is tottaly oposite to Wii U reveal and trailer.

The OP says that in like the second line.  

The Trailer certainly gives a better idea about what the NX is, much more than the WiiU trailer did

Yeah, I can know if the moves Nintendo is making right now are bad.  We didn't have to wait for MS to release the Xbox One to see if their always online was a great idea.  It's a bad idea to show off games that might never happen.  
The only thing that I might not completely agree with the OP is that these mistakes are like the Wii U's.  But I completely agree with every problem that the OP has listed.  

The trailer doesn't have a "better idea" about NX, it basically tells what exactly is Switch with just one 3m trailer, while Nintendo didn't could explain what is actually Wii U in whole 2 hole years (from 1st reval until end of 1st year of Wii U on market). Basicly we are talking night and day comparision in that term not just "better idea". Not to mention that reactions of Switch are very very positive and trailer itself become very popular and easily most viewed Nintendo You Tube video.

But fact is you did know for idea of always online, but with Switch you still doesn't know everything, and you don't have anything that can describe like bad idea. Of Course those games from Switch trailer 100% are coming on Switch, point is just that those games were not focus of first Switch trailer, it was about Switch itself and concept, and that you dont need to expect that those games will look exatly like they were in trailer, Nintendo said they will talk and show games on full Switch reveal.

You can agree with OP, but reality is that point of this thread is that Nintendo making same mistake like they done with Wii U, and that offcourse is not ture, and Switch for now doesn't have anything with Wii U or mistakes Nintendo made with Wii U.

Around the Network

nope - the switch will be so much more!

Switch!!!

Forbes is telling Apple to copy Nintendos marketing strategies, I think you're making a huge mistake.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

the-pi-guy said:
Miyamotoo said:

The trailer doesn't have a "better idea" about NX, it basically tells what exactly is Switch with just one 3m trailer, while Nintendo didn't could explain what is actually Wii U in whole 2 hole years (from 1st reval until end of 1st year of Wii U on market). Basicly we are talking night and day comparision in that term not just "better idea". Not to mention that reactions of Switch are very very positive and trailer itself become very popular and easily most viewed Nintendo You Tube video.

But fact is you did know for idea of always online, but with Switch you still doesn't know everything, and you don't have anything that can describe like bad idea.

Yeah, there's a lot that's a bad idea.  The initial reaction was positive, some aspects of what they presented were not positive.  

Of Course those games from Switch trailer 100% are coming on Switch, point is just that those games were not focus of first Switch trailer, it was about Switch itself and concept, and that you dont need to expect that those games will look exatly like they were in trailer, Nintendo said they will talk and show games on full Switch reveal.

No, they are not 100% coming to the Switch.  

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13353270/nintendo-switch-skyrim-nba-2k17-not-confirmed

Just because something has been shown off, doesn't make it so.  Bioschock was announced for the Vita, and it never entered production.  Just because Nintendo showed off Skyrim, doesn't 100% make it happen.  Bethesda can decide to make it not happen.  

You can agree with OP, but reality is that point of this thread is that Nintendo making same mistake like they done with Wii U, and that offcourse is not ture, and Switch for now doesn't have anything with Wii U or mistakes Nintendo made with Wii U.

That would be agreeing with the OP, but not agreeing with the title.  

What exactly aspects they show are not positive!? And even if some aspects are not positive, reactions on hole video are very positive.

Why would Nintendo on 1st place showed Skyrim and 2k17 runing on Switch if they are not 100% sure that they coming on Switch!? There is 0 chance than Nintendo would show 3rd party games running on their console 5 months before launch of console if they are not 100% sure if game is coming or not. Also, Bethesda and 2K confirmed partnership for Switch and that they have projects for Switch and that they will talk about them at later date, actualy almost nobody from list of Switch supporters did not confirmed and specific game. Its very obvious Nintendo is holding all game announcements for full Switch reveal in January, Nintendo didn't even confirmed Splatoon and MK which we also saw in Switch trailer, but of course they are coming on Switch.

Point is Nintendo didnt make any mistake with Switch for now, they just having different approach with revealing (and actually it seems that is working for now, we have very positive reactions for 1st Switch trailer), and certainly those things are not "lethal" and don't have anything with Wii U.

i was so right on so many things here.

It has some good things going for it, but it also has some clear liabilities from the looks of it.