By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So $250 + April Launch Didn't Work For 3DS; Will It For Switch?

The 3DS was able to push back after the pricecut, but I think the NX will do fine, considering it is a fusion type console anyways

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

3DS wasn't much of a step up from the DS or the competition. It was obvious what style of games to expect for 3DS. The same can't be said for NX in which Nintendo keeps saying, it's first and foremost a console and more appropriate, a hybrid. Nintendo knows they were asking too much for 3DS, they were just trying to get more profit off of it. If Skyrim is playable on this thing, it will be obvious that $250 is the cheapest this thing can go. I say it needs to launch at $300-$350. Skyrim on the go and easy console continuation is going to be a big deal for a good amount of people.

So, 250 is the lowest, 350 is the highest. And if it is $350 it needs to launch with the rumored new IP that Emily said Nintendo is working on, or with Breath of the Wild. If it launches at $250, I don't expect any games to come with it. Maybe some virtual console essentials or a free virtual console download of your choice. I'd dig that actually.

3DS did pretty well.

and this is not just a handheld console for the millionth time, this will do well and better than 3DS numbers 

spurgeonryan said:
Usually I would say it was a bad idea to release zelda on both systems, but since the Wii U had such low sales it will still be a big boost to the Switch.

I think they should delay the WiiU version. Thats just me since Im getting the Switch anyway, but Im not sure that would really upset that many people anymore.

Release month had little to do with 3DS doing poor initially and while price was a factor, it wasnt the only thing preventing people from getting one.

3DS had poor marketing initially to the point where people thought it was just a DS revision with a 3D screen, not a brand new device.

Also 3DS had a horrible post launch release schedule, the only major game to release in the 6 months following launch was Ocarina of Time 3D.

Price was a factor in the sense that 3DS seemed very underpowered for that price while Switch seems like you are getting good performance for that price.

If 3DS had better marketing, a strong software lineup and had cutting edge tech than the $250 price tag wouldnt have been nearly as big of an issue.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Games sell hardware.

New mario64 style game + Zelda BoTW = reason to purchase.
Slightly more expensive than a 3DS... yes, but it also does more than 3ds does.

I think if it launches at 249$ it does well.

Tell that to the Wii U.

NS and 3DS are completely different systems. 3DS is purely a handheld device while NS is a home console with portability. At $250 NS will sell like hotcakes so long as the game content is readily available.

My expectations:
NS console (no dock) = $230 (includes AC adapter)
NS console (includes dock) = $250 (includes AC adapter and HDMI)
NS Dock = $20 (no AC adapter or other cables)
NS Joy-Con = $20 (basically same device as a wii remote plus)
NS Joy-Con Grip = $30 (has built-in li-ion battery pack)
NS Pro Controller = $50 (has built-in li-ion battery pack)
NS Games = $40 to $60

Various game bundles from $275 to $300, likely to include either Joy-Con Grip or Pro Controller.

Why a console option with no dock?
So you can buy multiple in same house and share a dock for TV play. :)

This is so cheap, how will it compare to XboxOne/PS4?
Those systems launched with aged tech, they also include expensive bluray drives and HDDs. To me these console prices are min price points that may jump up $20 to $50 at most. But I think this is all reasonable price that will also be easily powerful enough for amazing Nintendo IPs as well as any AAA port.

Also, think about it, XboxOne (not S) with a game and a controller is like $275 now. What I have above would be NS + JCGrip + game = $330. You'd have same game plus awesome portability.

Of course launch titles are going to make a difference. The 3DS did not launch with a single game that could be considered even 50% a must-own.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Lawlight said:
JRPGfan said:

Games sell hardware.

New mario64 style game + Zelda BoTW = reason to purchase.
Slightly more expensive than a 3DS... yes, but it also does more than 3ds does.

I think if it launches at 249$ it does well.

Tell that to the Wii U.

The Wii U never had a "real" 3D collectathron style mario game.

The Wii U never had a new Zelda game (BoTW still isnt out).

It was said by nintendo that the Wii U cost more than they wanted, and it launched at 299$ (I think?).

This points to the Switch being in a very differnt position, than the Wii U.

(ontop of the unified games library, simplier & better concept, better name ect).

JRPGfan said:
Lawlight said:

Tell that to the Wii U.

The Wii U never had a "real" 3D collectathron style mario game.

The Wii U never had a new Zelda game (BoTW still isnt out).

It was said by nintendo that the Wii U cost more than they wanted, and it launched at 299$ (I think?).

This points to the Switch being in a very differnt position, than the Wii U.

(ontop of the unified games library, simplier & better concept, better name ect).

So? 2D Marios sell better. It had a Mario Kart as well.

The GC had Zeldas and that didn't sell well either.

There is no way the Switch costs less than $249 or even $299 unless the hardware is weak and the thing is cheaply made. They will probably not include an hdmi cable, a charging cable, a hard drive.