By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So $250 + April Launch Didn't Work For 3DS; Will It For Switch?

Assuming Switch is $250 (could be $299.99 too I suppose), and launching in kind of an awkward month that is March ... this didn't work for the 3DS. 

Now assuredly Switch should have a better launch titles, but will that be enough to post healthy sales? 

I think missing the holiday season really hurts Nintendo, couldn't they have just spent some extra money on outsourcing a few extra exclusives for the launch window? March is just such a weird time to launch a game machine. 

Not only that but a lot of the third party ports will be late too ... Skyrim HD and NBA 2K17 will be on PS4/XB1 for months for example, and NFL football season is over in March, so I don't know what EA does there, do they just wait until Madden NFL 18?  

3DS (April) and Sega Saturn (April/May?) I think are the only two game machines I can remember launching in this period and it didn't go well for either. 

Around the Network

Like I said in another thread. Late Feb, March, April, May is when USA citizens get some of their money back in tax returns. Easy time for some to throw down on a video game console.   They didn't for 3DS because 250 is too much for a hand held. Once the price dropped to 200 is when the 3DS started making strides.  Oh and games...

Nintendo will probably push this a lot. Expect advertisements and Directs galore in the from the beginning of January.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

3ds screen was small, the 3d was meh until the new 3ds, was launched with pilot wings an old port of sf and the shitty submarine game. Switch will have breath of the wild and who knows what else, its a home console and a portable, looks aesthetically atractive, yeah we need more info but even right now its more atractive than the 3ds back then.

3DS also had the DS brand behind it which was a lot bigger in 2011, and also tablet gaming had not poisoned the well for portables quite so much. DS was selling pretty great even in 2010 for example.

And I didn't think the 3DS looked so bad. It looked pretty cool for its time. It's not like it was purple (lol).

Around the Network

It might as long as its battery and etc are good. The tablet itself is powerful enough to justify the cost where as the 3ds at the time of its release was not. Now sure, power doesn't mean everything but the value that the 3ds was giving for its price was not enough, specially since its 3d effect was wonky at best and since you couldn't market it very well.

This on the other hand is very easy to understand its value and its selling point. All it needs is great reviews and praise.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I mean , the switch raises the bar for handheld gaming while the 3DS back in 2011 wasn't a stunning gaming machine, it solely sold on the DS brand and the great games, so yes, I think a 250$ (or heck, even 350$) is a reasonable price for the Switch, of course my opinion might change once we find out the specs...

Luke888 said:
I mean , the switch raises the bar for handheld gaming while the 3DS back in 2011 wasn't a stunning gaming machine, it solely sold on the DS brand and the great games, so yes, I think a 250$ (or heck, even 350$) is a reasonable price for the Switch, of course my opinion might change once we find out the specs...

Nintendo will have a lot of problems at $350. 

That would be more than a PS4. 

Games sell hardware.

New mario64 style game + Zelda BoTW = reason to purchase.
Slightly more expensive than a 3DS... yes, but it also does more than 3ds does.

I think if it launches at 249$ it does well.

Soundwave said:
Luke888 said:

Nintendo will have a lot of problems at $350. 

That would be more than a PS4. 

well, that's supposing the Switch can't be more powerfull than a regular PS4...