By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So $250 + April Launch Didn't Work For 3DS; Will It For Switch?

Lawlight said:
JRPGfan said:

The Wii U never had a "real" 3D collectathron style mario game.

The Wii U never had a new Zelda game (BoTW still isnt out).

It was said by nintendo that the Wii U cost more than they wanted, and it launched at 299$ (I think?).

This points to the Switch being in a very differnt position, than the Wii U.

(ontop of the unified games library, simplier & better concept, better name ect).

So? 2D Marios sell better. It had a Mario Kart as well.

The GC had Zeldas and that didn't sell well either.

There is no way the Switch costs less than $249 or even $299 unless the hardware is weak and the thing is cheaply made. They will probably not include an hdmi cable, a charging cable, a hard drive.

Yes, its probably cheaply made.

No Touch screen, no camra, no microphone, no hdmi cable, no chargeing cable (use the dock), no hard drive (but 32-64gb of flash storage), ect ect.

I think they re aiming for 249$. 

Your right about the GC..... I just hope Switch does better.

Around the Network

lifetime its going to do N64 numbers imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Well 3DS is only handheld device and actual didn't had must have titles on launch.

I suspect the NX's launch line up will be equivalent or better than the 3DS entire 1st year.

Beyond that, it's a home console aswell. Lets not forget ;)

JRPGfan said:

no hdmi cable, no chargeing cable (use the dock)

Wii U included an HDMI cable (don't think Microsoft or Sony do with their systems).  Also, if it has a dock then it has a charging cable.  What do you think the dock hooks up to?  There has to be a cable that connects to power outlet in order for the dock to work.

Only the N3DS didn't come with charging cables because Nintendo figured that most people buying it were probably previous owners of a DSi or 3DS.

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:
sethnintendo said:

Like I said in another thread. Late Feb, March, April, May is when USA citizens get some of their money back in tax returns. Easy time for some to throw down on a video game console.   They didn't for 3DS because 250 is too much for a hand held. Once the price dropped to 200 is when the 3DS started making strides.  Oh and games...

There is no such tax return effect shown in VGChartz data.  
 Not for USA
(  http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=USA&start_year=2004&end_year=2016&console=  )  
 and not for Japan  
 (  http://www.vgchartz.com/tools/hw_yoy.php?reg=Japan&start_year=2006&end_year=2016&console=  )  
 that allegedly has a sales spike at the end of April with Golden Week.

Yeah, you will probably only see a spike in Golden Week.  I'm just saying the tax return time is the best chance for me to buy a system with the usual 600-900 dollars I get back from returns.  I have another co worker in the same boat.  Our broke asses need an infusion of money to spring on the purchase and tax return time is best chance for us besides maybe getting a bunch of overtime hours.

Lawlight said:
JRPGfan said:

The Wii U never had a "real" 3D collectathron style mario game.

The Wii U never had a new Zelda game (BoTW still isnt out).

It was said by nintendo that the Wii U cost more than they wanted, and it launched at 299$ (I think?).

This points to the Switch being in a very differnt position, than the Wii U.

(ontop of the unified games library, simplier & better concept, better name ect).

So? 2D Marios sell better. It had a Mario Kart as well.

The GC had Zeldas and that didn't sell well either.

There is no way the Switch costs less than $249 or even $299 unless the hardware is weak and the thing is cheaply made. They will probably not include an hdmi cable, a charging cable, a hard drive.

Well Wii U software was few and far between and just because a title sells well doesn't make it a system seller. See Minecraft. But one game amongst a 6month software drought, marketing confusion and overpricing can only have so much effect.

But the Gamecube comparison is right. That is where a Nintendo home console sits without equal third party support. That too is why the NS is a handheld and potentially a tablet. 

$249 is the sweet spot for what it will offer but I think it can afford to launch at $300 and ride out 1 holiday at that price, backed by the right games and a strong marketing campaign.

RolStoppable said:

2. Software lineup - With Zelda alone, Switch is already going to blow the 3DS's first nine months out of the water. But the more important point is that Switch is unlikely to suffer the same early software drought, because Nintendo is going port over a couple of popular Wii U games to Switch in order to fill the gaps. Chances are good that Switch will have a Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sooner than any other system before it, Splatoon is likely too.

I'm really trying to, but no, I just can't understand why everyone here seems to think that a launch line-up with a cross-gen game and other Wii U games ports is an advantage for the Switch. This console has been announced a long time ago now, and the launch games could be Zelda, Splatoon and MK8, all available on the previous console? (which failed, by the way) And it's a good line-up? I consider a Zelda, Splatoon and MK8 line-up as terrible because it does not sell the console at all. Just buy a really cheap Wii U (the price is droping fast) and you'll play the same thing.

Everyone was complaining about MS and Sony doing last gen ports saying buying a new console was useless, and it wasn't even their launch line up. Nintendo already has a third party issue, if they lose development time with re-release of older games, I don't put it in the "advantages" list for the console. What were they doing in the last several years, when the Wii U was already dead and not getting any new big game except Splatoon ?

$249 / $299 is to much for the mass market. only hardcore nintendo fans will buy for that pricepoint
$149 / $199 is the price nintendo need to hit for mass market appeal

i for sure won't buy above $149 / $199

wazzuppa said:
$249 / $299 is to much for the mass market. only hardcore nintendo fans will buy for that pricepoint
$149 / $199 is the price nintendo need to hit for mass market appeal

i for sure won't buy above $149 / $199

Looks like you'll have to wait till 2018 or 2019 for the $199 Switch Lite.