By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So $250 + April Launch Didn't Work For 3DS; Will It For Switch?

it won't. Seriously, it really won't work.

Around the Network
Faelco said:

RolStoppable said:

2. Software lineup - With Zelda alone, Switch is already going to blow the 3DS's first nine months out of the water. But the more important point is that Switch is unlikely to suffer the same early software drought, because Nintendo is going port over a couple of popular Wii U games to Switch in order to fill the gaps. Chances are good that Switch will have a Mario Kart and Smash Bros. sooner than any other system before it, Splatoon is likely too.

I'm really trying to, but no, I just can't understand why everyone here seems to think that a launch line-up with a cross-gen game and other Wii U games ports is an advantage for the Switch. This console has been announced a long time ago now, and the launch games could be Zelda, Splatoon and MK8, all available on the previous console? (which failed, by the way) And it's a good line-up? I consider a Zelda, Splatoon and MK8 line-up as terrible because it does not sell the console at all. Just buy a really cheap Wii U (the price is droping fast) and you'll play the same thing.

Everyone was complaining about MS and Sony doing last gen ports, and it wasn't even their launch line up. Nintendo already has a third party issue, if they lose development time with re-release of older games, I don't put it in the "advantages" list for the console. What were they doing in the last several years, when the Wii U was already dead and not getting any new big game except Splatoon ?

Funnily enough many of us and the general population skipped Wii U and look forward to playing those games for the first time. These titles are also "ever green" and have incredible longevity in terms of sales and replay value.

My issue with PS4/X1 is that they were mostly selling remasters of single player/narrative driven games to the exact same audience who already completed them a few years ago on PS3/360. If NS is a success it will appeal way beyond the tiny 12m Wii U demographic, so it's remasters are of more value. But we shouldn't confuse forum displeasure with actual business sense. the Last of Us remastered was arguably the biggest first party title in 2014. The availability of Smash/Mario Kart/Splatoon as potential launch window games is good business for Nintendo. We of course expect many quality NX exclusives in 2017. If it doesn't deliver on that people will complain just as they did for PS4/X1

RolStoppable said:

Lastly, whether Switch launches during the holidays or outside of it really isn't that important, because either way it has to put up good numbers outside of the holidays eventually. There's no getting around that fact. The biggest concern right now (aside from price) is if Switch can properly replace the 3DS, because if the battery life doesn't even match the one of the original 3DS model, then the whole "play however you want" value will falter quickly.

I think Nintendo knows this and wont drop the 3DS anytime soon. It has another 2 years of software support in it, especially where third parties are concerned. By then, I'm sure they'll be a Switch lite. Built in controls, similar size to 3DS Xl and a decent battery life 

What if they release a screenless Switch for $199,-?

sethnintendo said:
JRPGfan said:

no hdmi cable, no chargeing cable (use the dock)

Wii U included an HDMI cable (don't think Microsoft or Sony do with their systems).  Also, if it has a dock then it has a charging cable.  What do you think the dock hooks up to?  There has to be a cable that connects to power outlet in order for the dock to work.

Only the N3DS didn't come with charging cables because Nintendo figured that most people buying it were probably previous owners of a DSi or 3DS.

Sony did - you get an HDMI with the PS4 along with an earphone/mic.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Lawlight said:

Tell that to the Wii U.

The Wii U never had a "real" 3D collectathron style mario game.

The Wii U never had a new Zelda game (BoTW still isnt out).

It was said by nintendo that the Wii U cost more than they wanted, and it launched at 299$ (I think?).

This points to the Switch being in a very differnt position, than the Wii U.

(ontop of the unified games library, simplier & better concept, better name ect).

$299 for the Wii U Basic (8GB)

$349 for the Wii U Deluxe with Nintendo Land (32GB)

If it has a good launch line up and a good price, it could sell well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

My guess:

-Nintendo Switch Basic: $249(min)-$279(max)
-Nintendo Switch Deluxe: $299(min)-$329(max)

The difference is obvious, 3DS came out the gate without any eye-catching games to somewhat reason the $250 price tag and we know the Switch is getting Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at launch so that's one plus. Now if they release a LoZ: BotW Special Edition Switch they'll have it in the bag.

RolStoppable said:
Faelco said:

I'm really trying to, but no, I just can't understand why everyone here seems to think that a launch line-up with a cross-gen game and other Wii U games ports is an advantage for the Switch. This console has been announcer a long time ago now, and the launch games could be Zelda, Splatoon and MK8, all available on the previous console? (which failed, by the way) And it's a good line-up? I consider a Zelda, Splatoon and MK8 line-up as terrible because it does not sell the console at all. Just buy a really cheap Wii U and you'll play the same thing.

Everyone was complaning about MS and Sony doing last gen ports. Nintendo already has a third party issue, if they lose development time with re-release of older games, I don't put it in the "advantages" list for the console. What were they doing in the last several years, when the Wii U was already dead and not getting any new big game except Splatoon ?

That the Wii U failed is all the more reason why even ports have a high value. A lot of people weren't against these games, but they didn't want to buy a Wii U to play them. They certainly aren't going to buy a cheap Wii U either, because for one, they didn't want a Wii U to begin with, and two, there will hardly be such a thing as a cheap Wii U with the console stopping production before all demand has been fulfilled. Stock at retailers is going to dry up before Switch launches.

The main reason why people were complaining so much about remasters is that there were hardly any new games and most people owned the predecessors of the PS4 and XB1, so they had already played those games before. Here in Nintendo's case, I am not saying that Nintendo won't have any new games, I am trying to convey that Nintendo will have some of their biggest IPs present on the system before actual sequels can be rolled out, because regardless of how many new games Nintendo puts out in the first nine months, no Mario Kart would still be no Mario Kart.

snip

The bolded are the key points why the ports make sense.

I would like to add the handheld, 3DS owners point of view. Mario Kart 7 released a long time ago so for people coming from 3DS, Mario Kart 8 is more than just a port, the same goes for Splatoon and some other Wii U titles. Also these games have already made a lot of money so Nintendo can price these more competively without taking a hit or bundle for low cost. Switch bundled with Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon for $299 would be a great kickstart for the console.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

RolStoppable said:
teigaga said:

I think Nintendo knows this and wont drop the 3DS anytime soon. It has another 2 years of software support in it, especially where third parties are concerned. By then, I'm sure they'll be a Switch lite. Built in controls, similar size to 3DS Xl and a decent battery life 

That's a troll post, right? With a picture of a Sony device for added effect.

There will hardly be any first party releases for the 3DS after Switch has launched. Continuing with the 3DS for another two years instead of letting it fizzle out naturally would basically be an admission that Switch is poorly conceived. Nevermind that your suggestion for hardware would not fit in with the Switch concept and would actually be a separate handheld, and in that case it has to be asked, if that's going to be Nintendo's plan, why not have such a device right from the start instead of going with a faulty hybrid (faulty as in, it won't sell to people who are looking for a handheld).

Back to it being a troll post, what you wrote conveys the Don Mattrick message of "We have a product for people who think that Switch doesn't serve as a good handheld. It's called the 3DS."

Hmmm, Your response strikes me as niave.

What I said is that Nintendo won't drop the 3DS anytime soon (they've got tbc 2017 titles so I'm likely right) and that its got another 2 years worth of software support, emphasising 3rd party support because thats where most of it will come from at its end life. If you follow gametsu and the like, you know 3DS titles are still being announced every week, we already have a solid line up in 2017 for legacy platform which could comfortably sell off its back catelogue, so thats 1 of 2 years sorted. Nintendo are the same company that released Pokemon Black and White 2 exclusively on the DS well over a year after the 3DS was released. Even with Switch as their priority, I expect them to drop a few bones for the 3DS audience here and there (getting their monies from the still huge userbase) and for them to push budget value 3DS bundles well into next year. The 3DS will naturally fizzle out, which is an entirely different concept from Nintendo all at once pretending it doesn't  exist.

There are so many potentials answers to your question of why they wouldn't have a dedicated handheld out the gate, but the question itself is no more interesting than why did Nintendo not have the 2DS available at launch? Away from all of the marketing and buzz words, Nintendo want a streamlined development and revenue pipeline. The "NX" needed to a beast of a portable to carry support from Wii U titles and share them amongst Nintendo's future home console. If they followed the unified software route it was always going to have a much shorter battery life to what Nintendo fans are used to and it would struggle containing its specs inside the typically small shell Nintendo portables have launched with. As the handheld market is in obvious decline, it makes sense for Nintendo to expand their horizons with a tablet hybrid and it suites their unified platform concept perfectly. Like all of their innovations/gimmicks they like to put it front and center instead of muddying the waters with a half hearted, optional approach. Arguably if it wasn't for the Wii U's failures we wouldn't be seeing a new Nintendo system as early as march 2017.

Similar to 3D, hybrid functionality of the platform has no barring on game functionality. As such if there is an audience and money to be gained by later (when its physically possible) creating a stand alone handheld device, there is no reason why they wouldn't do it. Once they've hammered home for 2 years (look how cool our hybrid is!) they're going then turn their mind to people who don't want to pay for the portable function or those who want a cheaper, more handheld friendly device. They removed 3D from the 3DS and gave us the 2DS. Hell they even removed wi-fi from the Wii just for a few late life sales. They have never been afraid of having distinguished SKU's. Furthermore Nintendo are not daft, they obviously know a huge, power hungry, $250-300 tablet is not a 1:1 replacement for a $150, pocket friendly device. When they gave the PR statement of "its not a replacement for the 3DS or Wii U" they were being genuine in more ways than one. The Don Matrick statement is funny but it holds true for now. Not all of the 3DS audience is going to be comfortable with the Switch in its current form and thats ok.