By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Splatoon, Mario Kart, And Zelda For Nintendo Switch Will All Be Enhanced Ports

Ka-pi96 said:
I think most people assumed that

This is for the two people who didn't see the trailer for themselves, either that, or she's actually trying to pass this off as new leaked info. :L

Around the Network

Hmmm, On one hand I think they should leave MK8 alone. It's such a casual franchise, releasing MK8 might really sabotage the audience for MK9 but for the best chance for NX to succeed I guess it'll be make a huge difference early on

LAUNCH
Zelda/Smash Bros

May-july
Splatoon/MK8

Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:

Wasted? They say that the massive, big team, several years in development Zelda BOTW needs to sell 2 million to make a profit. Imagine how much profit Splatoon, MK8 and Mario Maker made with between 3-6 million sold each...

There's oppurtunity cost too, I'm sure there are suits at Nintendo who feel all those games should've sold 2-4 million more copies. 

Sure, but they didnt. Why? Because people didnt want them enough to buy a WiiU. Now all of a sudden everyone will buy a Switch for games they didnt buy a WiiU for?

Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:

Wasted? They say that the massive, big team, several years in development Zelda BOTW needs to sell 2 million to make a profit. Imagine how much profit Splatoon, MK8 and Mario Maker made with between 3-6 million sold each...

There's oppurtunity cost too, I'm sure there are suits at Nintendo who feel all those games should've sold 2-4 million more copies. 

I can see that for Mario Maker, but not for MK8 and Splatoon. I honestly doubt anyone at Nintendo thought Splatoon, for example, would sell more than 1.5m-2m LT.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I skipped all Smash Bros. DLC because I thought they were nuts when I saw the prices. I'll gladly buy the definitive edition on Switch, though. The console being portable is a big plus for me. I prefer games on the big screen but I play more regularly on handhelds.

Oh and if Mario Kart and Splatoon have new content I'll buy those as well. 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
This is a given. Nintendo put a lot of development money in those games and needs to recuperate those costs since it was a bit wasted on the WiiU.

A Mariomaker port is coming also.

Nintendo is indeed good at cost management, but I meant more wasted in sales potential. The Wii U just lost too little. Imagine that those games were put on the 3DS instead, the profits would haven been higher.

Nintendo knows that a big part of the new, potential NS audience never played them, just like some of the PS4 remasters worked. So this makes a lot of sense. Even more so when you look at NS software support. It needs to be there in the first year.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

More remasteres. What the surprise. Now a days everything is remaster.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
KLXVER said:

Nintendo is indeed good at cost management, but I meant more wasted in sales potential. The Wii U just lost too little. Imagine that those games were put on the 3DS instead, the profits would haven been higher.

Nintendo knows that a big part of the new, potential NS audience never played them, just like some of the PS4 remasters worked. So this makes a lot of sense. Even more so when you look at NS software support. It needs to be there in the first year.

I could see them port some WiiU games later if the Switch turns out to be a success, but Nintendo already announcing WiiU ports before the system has proven itself? That sounds more like they are trying to squeeze more money out of their loyal fans and that they dont have much new stuff until way later in the life of the console.

teigaga said:
Hmmm, On one hand I think they should leave MK8 alone. It's such a casual franchise, releasing MK8 might really sabotage the audience for MK9 but for the best chance for NX to succeed I guess it'll be make a huge difference early on

LAUNCH
Zelda/Smash Bros

May-july
Splatoon/MK8

I dont think that main launch titles will be old Wii U ports, it seems that main launch titles will be Zelda/new 3D Mario.

KLXVER said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I could see them port some WiiU games later if the Switch turns out to be a success, but Nintendo already announcing WiiU ports before the system has proven itself? That sounds more like they are trying to squeeze more money out of their loyal fans and that they dont have much new stuff until way later in the life of the console.

They did not announce anything, actually games were not at all focus of Switch trailer, they were used just to show Switch concept. New games and exclusives will be shown later, and of course they will have plenty of new staffs in 1st year. Wii U ports are not for Wii U owners, they are for all the people who missed Wii U and they will be used to fill schedule release holes.

Miyamotoo said:
teigaga said:

LAUNCH
Zelda/Smash Bros

May-july
Splatoon/MK8

I dont think that main launch titles will be old Wii U ports, it seems that main launch titles will be Zelda/new 3D Mario.

Never gonna happen. They wont release a new main entry in both of their biggest franchises on the same day.