By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Switch The Least Inspired "Generational Leap" By Nintendo?

Soundwave said:
Goodnightmoon said:

We still need more details but looks like the smartest move by Nintendo hardware wise in 10 years.

It looks like a revision of an idea they already had 5 years ago, one that many here paid $300 to already play.

I don't deny it's probably the best thing they could have done now, but only because they've locked themselves out of the console market that they created in the first place due to a ton of poor decisions that they can't really compete with Sony/MS anymore, so it was either this or probably go third party. 

This is my thinking as well, it's a more sleek and thoroughbred Wii U in some ways, which probably isn't a really good thing on its own.

I like the name though, it's catchy and could help them net some much needed attention and customers.

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
In my opinion is the strongest console ever from Nintendo, looks agressive, is economical, does a lot of stuff and at the same time is simple.
It is a amazing gadget and I can see it becoming a fever.

They need to sell it to casuals too.

It needs to have cheap storage (micro SD cards) and allow media to be played on it easily (so people can stream or watch movies/tv series on it).

As well as a ebook reader, and a net browser. If it can do that, thats most of what people want out of a normal tablet.

It needs to be able to do so, as well as funktion as a gameing device.

Then it can hit it big.

All we can hope for now is that patent about an extra processing unit becomes reality. I doubt it is in the dock but there may be some port on the dock that lets you connect to it. Kind of like the alienware laptops and the nvidia gpu units you can buy.

Otherwise this will be underwhelming for a home console.

JRPGfan said:
WagnerPaiva said:
In my opinion is the strongest console ever from Nintendo, looks agressive, is economical, does a lot of stuff and at the same time is simple.
It is a amazing gadget and I can see it becoming a fever.

They need to sell it to casuals too.

It needs to have cheap storage (micro SD cards) and allow media to be played on it easily (so people can stream or watch movies/tv series on it).

As well as a ebook reader, and a net browser. If it can do that, thats most of what people want out of a normal tablet.

It needs to be able to do so, as well as funktion as a gameing device.

Then it can hit it big.

I am very sure it will do these basic stuff, netflix and comics in pdf, the psp had that, Nintendo seems very inspired this time around, I am very excited.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

RolStoppable said:
JRPGfan said:

^ this is the Wii U concept done right.

At the sametime, it also means a big jump for Nintendo's handheld gameing.

So if your the type that mostly enjoys nintendos handheld gameing, the Switch is like a dream machine.

Why do people keep saying that Switch is the Wii U concept? The way that the screen docks into the station for home use should make it abundantly clear that Nintendo is rejecting the Wii U concept. There won't be any games that will use two screens.

On topic: There is still much to learn about Switch, so it's premature to draw conclusions. For example, the screen could very well have touch capabilities and the detachable joy-cons could have motion capabilities.

Yeah I kind of agree the only similarities are that both have a second screen but the two concept are quite wildly different you don't even use 2 screens with NS, Switch from my view is actually more of a traditional console in its gaming experience that seems to allow the player to have more control and customization of their set up while accomodating some portable aspects.

Wii U on the other hand was more a home variant of the DS brand.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
potato_hamster said:

Well.... no Nintendo systems like this.

I can do this with a PS4 and a Vita.

With a shitty streaming that needs stable internet and nobody uses.

I have absolutely no doubt Nintendo has done it far more seemlessly. I'm just pointing out that the selling point of this console, it's new, super secret sauce that they had to keep closely guarded, was already being done in a more simplistic form from Sony. When I first saw it, I was shocked at how little 'new' it brought to the table considering how Nintendo was talking as if they developed a revolutionary way to play games.

The reality of it, is that they appeared to make the Wii U they were unable to make in 2012, simplifed it by removing the double screen functionaity (which I found distracting and I feel it took away from the immersion of the console), and added mini breakaway controllers that arent even symmetical, and look difficult to use. It's an evolution of the WIi U, and nothing more. And let's not forget the Wii U wasn't very well recieved.

Probably yeah. Cant wait to see what the price is.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

I've said this a lot today but is too early to tell

I have no idea what definition of inspired you are going with. Nintendo is trying to change the very definition of a home console here. Least inspired to me would be a safe evolution from the previous incarnation. Ignoring the different versions of handhelds that came out within a generation, I would say that would be either the SNES, Gamecube, GameBoy Color, or GameBoy Advance. So that is at least four I would put ahead of Switch.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

theRepublic said:
I have no idea what definition of inspired you are going with. Nintendo is trying to change the very definition of a home console here. Least inspired to me would be a safe evolution from the previous incarnation. Ignoring the different versions of handhelds that came out within a generation, I would say that would be either the SNES, Gamecube, GameBoy Color, or GameBoy Advance. So that is at least four I would put ahead of Switch.

SNES introduced shoulder buttons (standard in every game controller today basically), the diamond layout face buttons (again standard), Mode 7 scaling, a large graphical leap, a helluva sound chip (thanks Sony), and the first "real" console 3D gaming with the Super FX chip. 

GameCube brought optical media, a large graphics leap, analog triggers and other new things. 

Switch does feel a little bit like the Game Boy to Game Boy Color or GBC to GBA leap though, I'd say one of those might be apt in comparison to the Wii U. 

SNES and GameCube definitely felt like full generational leaps right out of the box.