By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch - Nintendo's best 3rd party support since the SNES - EA, TakeTwo, Bethesda on board

padib said:
Faelco said:

What I mean about the future is that it's kind of like if they announced Call Of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered on the Switch but not Infinite Warfare. Or for Japanese games, like if they announced FF12 remaster but not FF15. As long as the games announced are games from the previous generation, for me it doesn't show that the console will be able to run the future titles, and maybe that's why they're stuck with a 5 year old game for their reveal trailer. So no guarantee for the future big 3rd party titles.

They will get the handheld games and developers they already have on the 3DS for sure, but I wouldn't be confident about future big home console 3rd party games until they actually announce one.

You have a point if this were a PS or MS console, but it's a Nintendo console. A lot of the owners of Nintendo consoles don't play games on the other consoles. So the kids who grew up playing pokemon can now have a go at skyrim. It was the same thing for Wind Waker HD. Some of us played it 10 years ago, it didn't stop the game from selling in the millions.

Also, the fact that Nintendo gets some western rpgs is a good thing, even if the game is old, because Nintendo hasn't really  enjoyed those games yet. It is a good start and it could lead to believing Nintendo might get the newer games also when they are available.

This logic doesn't make sense. New games would require sufficient hardware power. If it does have enough power it will get many PS4 and XB1 games not all as its a handheld, but if it doesn't have enough power developers wouldn't be able to port their games.

As you said it will sell to existing Nintendo fans but there is less reason for anyone else to buy old games on it unless they want it on a portable. That's something I personally do want, but not Skyrim :P

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
pokoko said:

I know they showed 2K in the trailers.  Do we know about Take Two's other big games?  No?  That's my point.

As for mod support, are you joking with this one?  I can't tell.  If not then you might want to review that memo.  The PS4 is going to have very limited mod support compared to the XO, which already has very limited mod support compared to the PC.

All I'm saying is that Take Two's image there can be explained simply with NBA 2K. That doesn't mean that Take Twos other games are coming.

And of course I'm not joking. Sure the mod support is more limited than the X1, and of course that is more limited than PC. It remains to be seen how much limited it will be. As for switch supporting mods - Quick question: Do you see Nintendo abandoning the family demographic? Because if not, you can expect that any potential mod support to be even more restricted than on playstation, if the Switch even has the horsepower to support mods in the first place.

That's exactly what I said to begin with.

As for mod support, I asked a rhetorical question and said "we'll have to wait and see."  

padib said:
GOWTLOZ said:

This logic doesn't make sense. New games would require sufficient hardware power. If it does have enough power it will get many PS4 and XB1 games not all as its a handheld, but if it doesn't have enough power developers wouldn't be able to port their games.

As you said it will sell to existing Nintendo fans but there is less reason for anyone else to buy old games on it unless they want it on a portable. That's something I personally do want, but not Skyrim :P

We're not in that game anymore of "Not enough power". The Switch is probably on par with a regular PS4, so it has more than enough power to get ports that work on the Switch.

The PS4 and PS4 Pro have to satisfy the least common denominator. The Switch is in that game now so your argument is not useful anymore.

Portable hardware technology is not there yet to make Switch as powerful as a PS4 especially if its $500 or less. Its proably less than half the power of an XB1.

And who said , to get a third party developer and publisher it need to have a powerful GPU :) ?

padib said:
GOWTLOZ said:

We're not in that game anymore of "Not enough power". The Switch is probably on par with a regular PS4, so it has more than enough power to get ports that work on the Switch.

The PS4 and PS4 Pro have to satisfy the least common denominator. The Switch is in that game now so your argument is not useful anymore.

The important word here is "probably". We don't know. The rumors (which were right about everything so far) talked about a console less powerful than an Xbox One, maybe even a lot less powerful.

What I'm really interested in is the power in handheld mode and the development needed for the home>handheld transition. If you need another version of your game for the handheld mode, it could really limit the 3rd party games. Because no, the handheld Switch won't have a PS4 power. It would already be great if it had a Wii U power. And no, "just a few effects less" is not enough to port a PS4 game on Wii U. It's easy to port handheld games on the Switch, but we lack information about the home console games ports on the Switch handheld. I wouldn't be surprised if some games were unplayable (officially or not... 10 fps games incoming?) in handheld mode.

Around the Network
padib said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Portable hardware technology is not there yet to make Switch as powerful as a PS4 especially if its $500 or less. Its proably less than half the power of an XB1.

It should be close enough to turn off a few effects and make the game playable.

All I'm saying is that the point is moot.

It depends on whether it uses Tegra X1 or something better. If it uses Tegra X1 it will have 512 GFlops of power and will still be pretty expensive. As a portable it should have a 1080p screen at least and running modern games at 1080p on a console half as powerful as XB1 will be difficult with many effects turned off and no anti aliaing probably still wouldn't run them. And it would look bad if it doesn't have a 1080p screen which is standard for smartphones, some even have 2K and 4K screens.

And it definitely does not appeal to the same demographic as PS4 Pro. The hardware gap is be too big, PS4 Pro is going after a more premium market than PS4 and I would suppose Switch. But its a handheld so it could still appeal to people who want a PS4 and PS4 Pro but not in the same way.

Turkish said:
Also OP mentions Take 2 but they just announced RDR2 and it skips the Switch

off to a good start, lmao

PC isnt getting RDR2 either, lmao

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Let's wait and see, it's normal that publisher support a new console at the beginning.
Only time will show if this continues over the years.
As of now I can imagine that Nintendo Switch will end up in the same situation as Wii U (no third-party support, only first party-party support) but let's hope that this won't be the case.

Slarvax said:
Turkish said:
Also OP mentions Take 2 but they just announced RDR2 and it skips the Switch

off to a good start, lmao

PC isnt getting RDR2 either, lmao

The same thing happened with GTA V but PC got it later not Wii U.

padib said:
Faelco said:

The important word here is "probably". We don't know. The rumors (which were right about everything so far) talked about a console less powerful than an Xbox One, maybe even a lot less powerful.

What I'm really interested in is the power in handheld mode and the development needed for the home>handheld transition. If you need another version of your game for the handheld mode, it could really limit the 3rd party games. Because no, the handheld Switch won't have a PS4 power. It would already be great if it had a Wii U power. And no, "just a few effects less" is not enough to port a PS4 game on Wii U. It's easy to port handheld games on the Switch, but we lack information about the home console games ports on the Switch handheld. I wouldn't be surprised if some games were unplayable (officially or not... 10 fps games incoming?) in handheld mode.

You're worrying too much. Honestly.

That's what some people said when we asked the same type of questions about the Wii U, the Xbox One launch or the Steam machines. We still have no real information about the Switch, just the concept we learned about months ago. Just saying "Hey guys, look at our kinda cool concept! Come back later for the price, the SKUs, the specs..." shouldn't be enough for eveyone to overhype this console. We don't have any real news, so we should still be asking the same questions: how does it work, how well does it work, which games, for how long, and for how much? None of these questions were answered today. I'm not worrying (I don't plan on buying a new console for years so none of it should impact me), I'm just curious and I like to really analyze the consoles and what can make a success or a failure. Until now, it's still unclear and everyone is overhyping and predicting the success of a box we still know almost nothing about.