By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo says the NX is a 'Home gaming system'

tak13 said:
Platina said:
hmm, that doesn't put the fusion rumor to rest though..

Will just have to find out tomorrow

i agree, but it does put in rest the notion of  nx replacing also 3ds... If 3ds was about to be replaced why then NX is being called a home gaming system?

Because as I aforesaid NX could be  a powerful wii u, with the tablet contoller being an autonomus portable device with a game slot or nx just a robust home console that will connect with a 3ds successor! These are not really meaning fusion! However, if that tablet controller is what I say, why not also replacing 3ds... Being sold both separately and bundled with the home system?  Wouldn't it be superfluous to make a 3ds successor when the home consoles's controller is also a handheld console?

I don't know what to think! lol

Although, the may want to continue the separate game library, I mean Mario kart 9 on home console, and Mario kart 10 on handheld console, fearing that shared games wouldn't sell as much as two different games of same ip! However, it might replace 3ds but it would be promoted just as a home gaming device that has a portable console/tablet controller that allows you two play the game that you were play in your home, sitting on sofa, anywhere outside/inside home, meaning that Nintendo  technically abandons handheld console market though, at least in the traditional way!

Shared game library has surely  much benefits like software quantity and developing quality!

Yes, there is a high chance this could be a fusion system, since it also matches with what Masuda saying that the main Pokemon games will continue on handheld (unless he's talking about mobile or something crazy)

Shared game library has great benefits, but I do worry about 2 things if this indeed a fusion
- Power
- Price

Power isn't everything, but it does play a big role in helping get support. So while I wouldn't be against a fusion concept, I definitely will remain skeptical if it is..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Man, I just want this ride to be over.

burninmylight said:
Well that's pretty telling. Everyone praying for it not to be a tablet hybrid can unclinch their butts now.

Technically this means just that it's going to be aimed at home use, not that it won't have other use as well.

Laura Kate Dale, who I believe broke the Nintendo reveal stuff for tomorrow says it's a hybrid.

The same person who told about the reveal tomorrow told her earlier it is a hybrid. She says Nintendo is using the "home console" branding so that people don't think it's just a portable with a TV out.

Guess we (hopefully) will know for sure in a few hours.

Wyrdness said:
Falls in line with what I suspect it is as I'm in the camp that thinks it's a console with a gamepad like device for a controller.

So... the Wii U then?

Around the Network

I think that's basically the gimmick ... it's a "home console" that can be taken outside of the house and played on the road, moved around the house, etc. But it can't run for long on portable power, so Nintendo is not terming it as a traditional portable.

A Tegra X2 likely will rip through a battery in 2-3 hours.

It's basically from the sounds of it what they wanted to make with the Wii U but couldn't at the time (couldn't fit the Wii U chip inside the control unit).

Nintendo will never let you people sleep.

If its not the hybrid device we think it is, I'm gonna be disappointed.

I want Nintendo to put all their efforts in one device.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's weird that they're calling it a home gaming system, though. Messaging-wise, I mean. They didn't have to do that, but they did. It's weird. If it's main gimmick is being portable, and being a brand new concept, specifying that it's for the home is counter-intuitive.

spemanig said:
It's weird that they're calling it a home gaming system, though. Messaging-wise, I mean. They didn't have to do that, but they did. It's weird. If it's main gimmick is being portable, and being a brand new concept, specifying that it's for the home is counter-intuitive.

Guess we'll see in a few hours. It's also entirely possible they want the 3DS to keep going for a couple more years. For one they probably still make OK money off the 3DS so why not keep a few extra bucks flowing in, and 3DS is also super cheap so it services the lower end of the market well for Nintendo. 

The NX is likely too large, too power hungry (meaning low battery life) and possibly too expensive to be a plausible 3DS replacement at this time. Maybe when they can die shrink it to like 10nm or 7nm in several years a smaller "really portable" form factor will be possible. 

Hence they need to make hay with the NX being a "home first" device for a little while at least even if the portable nature of the console is central to its design. 

I'm sure they will make a big fuss about being able to move it around the house easily and possibly stream to different devices very easily for example, for whatever reason, even going back to giving the GameCube a handle, Nintendo seems obsessed with the idea of a console that's easy to move around the house.