By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo says the NX is a 'Home gaming system'

Game_God said:
wombat123 said:

The dock adding power to the NS is my personal last hope for buying it within its first 2 years.

I was hoping like you, but it doesn't seem to go that way:

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

The dock won't add nothing to the Switch performance-wise...

Well, then I'll be waiting until it's under $150 because I'm just really, really disappointed in the NS right now. 

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
Game_God said:

Because from what has been showed about the Switch, sales IMO will be low, lower than 3DS+Wii U & once it starts to show, stock will dive spectacularly!

So why wait, the stock is high, sell it while it's high, if Nintendo comes up with something new, stock will always on the market to invest.

Right now, I wouldn't invest a shoe lace in Nintendo stock & I am a huge Nintendo fan but this Switch is going to do serious damage to Nintendo, worst than Virtual Boy, too expensive for a handheld, too underpowered for a home console & they won't have the traditional handheld sales for them to rebound like with the GBA & 3DS, they are putting all their eggs in the same basket & the said basket has a huge hole in the bottom!!!

You answered your own question already: Super Mario Run and Sun/Moon. Even if you think Switch will be a failure, why would you sell your stock right before these megatons make it go through the roof?

Because I'm not sure that SMR & Poke GO will be enough to offset the failure I foresee with the Switch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

wombat123 said:
Game_God said:

I was hoping like you, but it doesn't seem to go that way:

"The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode," a Nintendo representative told IGN.

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

The dock won't add nothing to the Switch performance-wise...

Well, then I'll be waiting until it's under $150 because I'm just really, really disappointed in the NS right now. 

If the games deliver, I would buy it for 200$, more than that for a handheld is too pricey!

The thing is I don't game on the go very often, since this thing is the 3DS replacement, I have to ask, where is my Wii U replacement? Where is my next home console Nintendo??? & no, a tablet you can hook-up to the TV is not a home console!!!

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Game_God said:
wombat123 said:

If the games deliver, I would buy it for 200$, more than that for a handheld is too pricey!

The thing is I don't game on the go very often, since this thing is the 3DS replacement, I have to ask, where is my Wii U replacement? Where is my next home console Nintendo??? & no, a tablet you can hook-up to the TV is not a home console!!!

I'd say $200 too but Nintendo calling the NS a 'home gaming system' just really rubs me the wrong way.  If the NS is a 'home gaming system' then the Nvidia Shield is also a 'home gaming system' (even though everyone thinks the Nvidia Shield is a handheld device).

wombat123 said:
Game_God said:

I'd say $200 too but Nintendo calling the NS a 'home gaming system' just really rubs me the wrong way.  If the NS is a 'home gaming system' then the Nvidia Shield is also a 'home gaming system' (even though everyone thinks the Nvidia Shield is a handheld device).

I have to 100000% agree with you!!!

That "first & foremost a home console" PR crap is really insulting... call me stupid while you're at it Nintendo!!!

This is the Nvidia Shield 2 rebranded as a Nintendo device, if it fails, Nintendo won't have any other system to fall on... I see a storm called Virtual Boy heading Nintendo's way... but who knows, maybe they'll kick ass in the marketing departement, you can sell sea water to a sailor these days with good marketing, people are so condicioned & obedient that it might work...

Around the Network

Unless this can hit for $199 or less, this looks like an absolute disaster. :(

AGAIN with the bundling of things people don't necessarily want. I have less than zero interest in a bundled display. It just means a higher % of BoM cost is going into the display than making a decent home system. Once again third party porting is going to be bad to nonexistent, performance and architecture won't be conducive to easy porting either. So big stuff like Madden, COD, GTA, etc will almost certainly miss the device.

LOL @ the people who thought this was going to be some high-end AMD-based device. Just wow.

potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

OK, thats your opinion, but reality is that Switch with Pokemon, Splatoon, Monster Hunter, DQ, Yokai Watch...can hit around 20m only in Japan. Its way to early to prognoze LT sale numbers of Switch, but I can see easily passing 40m.

Actually, it's my opinion.

He're the part you're forgetting or ignoring: Are those games going to make people who never bought a Wii U at $249 or a 3DS at $149 want to turn around and spend $299 (rumored price) to play those games this time? What is the appeal to non-nintendo fans that the Wii U and 3DS didn't provide that's going to convince them to spend even more money?

Because I think they won't. In fact I think that even Nintendo's fans buying less hardware, because apparently they can get the whole Nintendo games library on one device instead of two. How many people do you know that own a Wii U that do not own a 3DS? Because of the very few people I know that own a Wii U, they all own a 3DS. Most of them own multiple 3DSs. There's far less incentive for Nintendo fans to invest in additional hardware this go around than at any previous point before the gameboy.

Actually yes, Switch seems very interesting and cool (I will say way more interesting than 3DS and Wii U) and definitely some people will like idea having home console and handheld in one, so yes, definitely some people who didn't buy 3DS or Wii U will buy Switch. For instance Switch would be great secondary console for some PS4/XB1 owners.

I know plenty of people who have Wii U and dont have 3DS, I am actualy one of them. Point is that you have some people that like more handheld gaming and you have some people that like more home console gaming, and Switch will offer bouth.

I don't think Switch will be fail at all, in worst case it will have mediocre sales, but with right marketing and pricing it could have very good sales.

Arkaign said:
Unless this can hit for $199 or less, this looks like an absolute disaster. :(

AGAIN with the bundling of things people don't necessarily want. I have less than zero interest in a bundled display. It just means a higher % of BoM cost is going into the display than making a decent home system. Once again third party porting is going to be bad to nonexistent, performance and architecture won't be conducive to easy porting either. So big stuff like Madden, COD, GTA, etc will almost certainly miss the device. 

LOL @ the people who thought this was going to be some high-end AMD-based device. Just wow.

You realise that New 3DS XL is $199 and that is still selling pretty good, right!?

burninmylight said:
Game_God said:

I can play local multiplayer with my GameBoy, I need a cable but I've been doing it since the 90's, with the DS it enable more than 2 players & no cable needed, so it's hardly a new or revolutionary feature...

If I had Nintendo stock, I would have sold it the minute after the reveal, I can't see it selling more than 40M, my prediction is 35/40M lifetime sales... when you come from 250M sales (Wii+DS) then drop to 75M sales (3DS+ Wii U), I can't see this Switch doing anything good to Nintendo, unless it's 200$ & it's really, really well & heavily marketed!

I can hear from here the Champagne popping at Sony & MS headquarters!!! MS must be already counting $$ to make an offer on Nintendo in a few years...

If you had Nintendo stock, you'd be smacking the crap out of yourself for doing that: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_stock_leaps_following_nx_trailer_announcement

Do you see now what was the point I was trying to explain?

http://gonintendo.com/stories/267152-nintendo-stock-falls-6-5-after-switch-reveal

I thought the Wii U could sell well when it was released, we now know the harsh reality, this Switch thing, I really can't see it flying of the shelves... I always root for Nintendo success, but the path they are walking with this thing... I wouldn't take a single step down that path & certainly wouldn't lend $$ to someone walking it!

Miyamotoo said:
potato_hamster said:

Actually, it's my opinion.

He're the part you're forgetting or ignoring: Are those games going to make people who never bought a Wii U at $249 or a 3DS at $149 want to turn around and spend $299 (rumored price) to play those games this time? What is the appeal to non-nintendo fans that the Wii U and 3DS didn't provide that's going to convince them to spend even more money?

Because I think they won't. In fact I think that even Nintendo's fans buying less hardware, because apparently they can get the whole Nintendo games library on one device instead of two. How many people do you know that own a Wii U that do not own a 3DS? Because of the very few people I know that own a Wii U, they all own a 3DS. Most of them own multiple 3DSs. There's far less incentive for Nintendo fans to invest in additional hardware this go around than at any previous point before the gameboy.

Actually yes, Switch seems very interesting and cool (I will say way more interesting than 3DS and Wii U) and definitely some people will like idea having home console and handheld in one, so yes, definitely some people who didn't buy 3DS or Wii U will buy Switch. For instance Switch would be great secondary console for some PS4/XB1 owners.

I know plenty of people who have Wii U and dont have 3DS, I am actualy one of them. Point is that you have some people that like more handheld gaming and you have some people that like more home console gaming, and Switch will offer bouth.

I don't think Switch will be fail at all, in worst case it will have mediocre sales, but with right marketing and pricing it could have very good sales.

Sure. Some people will like the idea. But to the average gamer that passed on the Wii U (ie. the vast majority of them) what is the added appeal of the Switch? What makes this worth it where the WIi U and 3DS failed. You have to argue that there's a significant portion of the population that is saying "I totally would have spent (rumored) $50-$100 more than I refused to pay for a Wii U just so I can take the Wii U's controller on the go with me". I simply refuse to believe there are tens of millions of people that think that. Sure it might be a decent secondary console, but the Wii U was a decent secondary console, and we know that people didn't care about it.

When you boil it down, when it comes to consumer interest, the Wii U was the least interesting home console Nintendo has ever made. Instead of Nintendo scrapping what obviously didn't work for them, they decided "I know, what we need to do is take all of the processing power of the base unit, and put it in the gamepad, make it cartridge based, and make the controls on the side removable." Many people are calling this "the Wii U that Nintendo wanted to make 4 years ago", and that makes me cringe. Every hear the saying "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". To me, that's what's Nintendo's doing. This is the 2017 version of a 2012 console that no one wanted. Don't forget that.

As for this being more appealing, the only demographic I see this being more appealing to is the current Nintnedo fan base, because now they only need to buy one console to play all of the games they want to play instead of two. But clearly, if that is the case, that could easily lead to less sales for Nintendo instead of more.

Will it sell more than the Wii U? Undoubtedly. It has to. Despite what Nintendo might say, this console is replacing two devices, and not one. They're aiming for more sales than both of those devices combined, which frankly, was a step backwards for Nintendo.

Miyamotoo said:

You realise that New 3DS XL is $199 and that is still selling pretty good, right!?

The Switch is being marketed as a home console. That means there are expectations people have of home consoles. There is a difference in perceieved value. A home console that struggles can't match performance of the $299 is worth less in the eyes of the consumer. Think about the X1 vs the PS4 on release. Not only was the PS4 cheaper, it was more powerful, so the X1 struggled. People perceieved the X1 as being less valuable. The Switch is in the same boat. Like it or not, Nintendo is competing with Sony and Microsoft for space under people's television. The Switch at $299 is not going to fly.

Game_God said:
burninmylight said:

If you had Nintendo stock, you'd be smacking the crap out of yourself for doing that: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/10/nintendo_stock_leaps_following_nx_trailer_announcement

Do you see now what was the point I was trying to explain?

http://gonintendo.com/stories/267152-nintendo-stock-falls-6-5-after-switch-reveal

I thought the Wii U could sell well when it was released, we now know the harsh reality, this Switch thing, I really can't see it flying of the shelves... I always root for Nintendo success, but the path they are walking with this thing... I wouldn't take a single step down that path & certainly wouldn't lend $$ to someone walking it!

Dude, I've always seen your point. Not agreeing =/= missing the point.

Stock falls 6.5 percent, whoopity-doo. Wake me  up when it falls by double digits and stays down. Those shares will likely make a slow climb back to the median, and when S/M and the Mario runner release, they will easily eclipse that. That's when you would want to sell your shares. If you were a stockholder, make decisions like a businessman, not an overreactive gamer.