By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Religion/Politics Threads: This really needs to stop(plus a poll)

What is your opinion on this matter?

I'm fine with these threads. 74 28.68%

They seriously need to stop. 115 44.57%

Couldn't care less. 69 26.74%

Total:258
Barkley said:
LurkerJ said:

When you are done with the articles on the front page, just click on the forum tab. It's big, it's on top, it can't be missed.

It will take you to here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forums.php#content

Where you can view 30 threads in the hot topics section that you can easily apply filters too. 

Nah, layout in there is absolutely shite. I never use anything but the front page.

You mean the organized list of topics that you can apply filters to and sort by author/recent/number of views? That's shit to you? 

It's a list. It gets the job done and more. But OK. 

Around the Network

LurkerJ said:

You mean the organized list of topics that you can apply filters to and sort by author/recent/number of views? That's shit to you?

It's a list. It gets the job done and more. But OK. 

Ye, they're too spacde apart, I have to actually scroll down and it's more difficult to just glance through. Much more convenient just having the list on the front page. Look at the left there's the articles, look in the middle there's the usually horrendously out of date sales, look at the right there's the recently active threads. Perfect!

Barkley said:
LurkerJ said:

if we go by the numbers of views the political/relgious threads get, it shows that they are integral to this website userbase.

If that is the case then the site is doing something very wrong.

You actually think people come here to discuss games? Where?

Most of the threads are about Meta scores, sales, predictions, charts, NPD, Japan weeklies, etc.

Then there is the "PRO will otusell your mom", "X vs Y" and "PHILL SPENCER HURTS MY FEELINGS WITH HIS RECENT STATEMENTS" types of threads. 

Not many threads discuss the core of the games, elements of gameplay, stories and whatnot. The community just aren't interested in these topics, there were multiple attempts to push these kinds of threads but they never took off.

The usual pattern here on vgc is that once the game gets released and the hype is gone, we only talk about it if it achieves a milestone or ... LOL FLOPS. 

I've been visiting vgc for so many years and this is how it's always been. 

LurkerJ said:
Barkley said:

If that is the case then the site is doing something very wrong.

Most of the threads are about Meta scores, sales, predictions, charts, NPD, Japan weeklies, etc.

Then there is the "PRO will otusell your mom", "X vs Y" and "PHILL SPENCER HURTS MY FEELINGS WITH HIS RECENT STATEMENTS" types of threads.

All of those things are related to games and the gaming industry...

Leadified said:
LurkerJ said:

When you are done with the articles on the front page, just click on the forum tab. It's big, it's on top, it can't be missed.

It will take you to here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forums.php#content

Where you can view 30 threads in the hot topics section that you can easily apply filters too. 

If you have time to whine and make assumptions about what the entire userbase of VGC actually want, you certainly have the time to move the cursor and click on the forum button/tab.

This is ridiculous. Almost firstworldproblems trollish levels of ridiculous. 

Lay off a bit here, these last couple of post have been getting a bit heated. Along with that this argument is going nowhere fast.

Noted. I am out.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
LurkerJ said:

All of those things are related to games and the gaming industry...

I was thinking the same thing, lol. It's a video game sales forum, obviously sales performance and industry news that could impact sales is going to be a lead issue. 

I'll leave this here in case people didn't know already but Trucks does some work on the site and he has a thread where you can request new features, such as a filter for the front page for example. It's right here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=197831&page=1 . So I would check that out.

WagnerPaiva said:
aLkaLiNE said:
As an agnostic, I agree with this 100%!!! It would be nice to have discussion regarding intelligent design but it's pretty discouraging to touch on the topic when anyone who isn't an atheist is labeled as ignorant or stupid.

I encourage you to read/listen/watch the work od David Berlinsky, which is a agnostic like you, but one of the strongest minds oposing the new antitheism of Dawkins and Chris Hitchens (RIP). You will be surprised. Also, check it out EXPELLED, a entire movie about the same issue you broght up.

I know proselitism is unconfortable and evangelism is most of the time unrequited, so I assure you these are nothing of the sort.

I encourage you to read this deep analysis of the movie's claims and evidence:  http://www.counterbalance.org/expelled/index-frame.html

FYI, the writer is Christian and used to be a high level Intelligent Design advocate, but has since abandoned it.  The part that seems most relevant to what you were talking about is his examination of the claims of academic censure and blackballing of people who questioned evolution or proposed intelligent design.  He assessed one case as being totally without merit; in another case any repercussions were minor at worst and more like not being invited to office parties; and in the third case he reckoned that the guy's application for tenure might indeed have been affected, but there were also other factors. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
WagnerPaiva said:

I encourage you to read/listen/watch the work od David Berlinsky, which is a agnostic like you, but one of the strongest minds oposing the new antitheism of Dawkins and Chris Hitchens (RIP). You will be surprised. Also, check it out EXPELLED, a entire movie about the same issue you broght up.

I know proselitism is unconfortable and evangelism is most of the time unrequited, so I assure you these are nothing of the sort.

I encourage you to read this deep analysis of the movie's claims and evidence:  http://www.counterbalance.org/expelled/index-frame.html

FYI, the writer is Christian and used to be a high level Intelligent Design advocate, but has since abandoned it.  The part that seems most relevant to what you were talking about is his examination of the claims of academic censure and blackballing of people who questioned evolution or proposed intelligent design.  He assessed one case as being totally without merit; in another case any repercussions were minor at worst and more like not being invited to office parties; and in the third case he reckoned that the guy's application for tenure might indeed have been affected, but there were also other factors. 

Oh yes, of course I know about the  rebuttals and refutations EXPELLED got. That was a powerful documentary, if it went unchallenged it could change the mind of many people, specialy youngsters seduced by their evolutionist teachers.

Every single good thing will be refuted by the evil it denounces. And every single evil thing will be opposed by a little source of good. 

Does not matter, as long as the message reaches a few ears still capable of hearing.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
Final-Fan said:

Oh yes, of course I know about the  rebuttals and refutations EXPELLED got. That was a powerful documentary, if it went unchallenged it could change the mind of many people, specialy youngsters seduced by their evolutionist teachers.

Every single good thing will be refuted by the evil it denounces. And every single evil thing will be opposed by a little source of good. 

Does not matter, as long as the message reaches a few ears still capable of hearing.

I didn't ask if you were aware that scientists had rebutted Expelled's claims.  I asked you to read this specific analysis which was written from a sympathetic perspective.  Have you read it? 

Or do you not even care if the movie is accurate as long as it gets someone to agree with you? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!