By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Religion/Politics Threads: This really needs to stop(plus a poll)

What is your opinion on this matter?

I'm fine with these threads. 74 28.68%

They seriously need to stop. 115 44.57%

Couldn't care less. 69 26.74%

Total:258

Guys, I have warned one user.

We really, really want to avoid heavy moderating of off-topic threads. Make that easy for us, don't throw around personal insults.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
padib said:

Thought police to the rescue!

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I really hope you don't think I'm trying to censor anyone who discusses religion.

I simply don't want the trolls to make religious threads that cause flame wars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Shadow1980 said:
Y'know, even though I've participated in political discussions, I think this forum would be better off if politics and especially religion were off-limits topics for discussion. Everyone with a stake in the game has their minds all made up, and it all inevitably turns into mudslinging at the drop of a hat.

While it's true that anyone likely to go into a political thread is also likely to already have a position on the given topic, that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't be swayed from it, especially if they are able to accept factual information that differs from what they thought was true. 

Just the other day I was talking with a Trump supporter, and while I don't think I changed his mind on the big question I did correct his misconception about what a "trade deficit" factually was.  He didn't realize it was a measurement of the relative export/import values.  I didn't inquire as to what exactly he thought it was; I doubt he actually had a fully formed idea in mind.  A lot of people act like a trade deficit is one country just handing the other country a pile of money.  So while he's still a Trump supporter, we at least made progress towards agreeing on the specific topic of the US-Mexico trade deficit. 

Anyway, a lot of threads or conversations within threads devolve into mudslinging, but some don't, and those are the ones I'd hate to lose.  Babies and bathwater and all that. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Shadow1980 said:
Swordmasterman said:

Vgchartz has a good community of moderators. But it will be hard for them to keep track of those random people starting wars on threads.

Another good reason to simply ban all threads on political or religious topics. They're hard to police, are prone to descending into flame wars almost immediately, and add nothing of value to the community. There are plenty of other forums on the internet dedicated to discussing politics and/or religion. Let people who want to discuss those things go elsewhere to do so.

I respect you so much, and not just because I often agree with you.  But I really hate this defeatist attitude you are evincing right now.  The VGChartz community has a long history of, on the one hand, spam or flamebait topics that must be stamped out; but, on the other hand, serious and thoughful discussion on serious topics between extremely different points of view.  I've loved the resilience of these forums and the people in them.  The change you suggest would be heartbreaking to me personally and in my opinion devastating to the community here.  Maybe things have changed here in my long absence; I was gone for a couple of years and haven't been as active as I was.  But if there is a serious problem going on at this time, which began or worsened recently, I firmly believe it is just a wave that will pass, and we must react with courage. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Yup, at the very least remove them from the front page.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
Yeah I am going to go ahead and agree with this now. The closer to the election we are getting, the more and more political threads we are getting.

Not good political threads like "US Presidential Election - Monitoring Swing States" which is well thought out and sourced for people wanting to discuss the election.

Bad ones like "Hillary Clinton Goes Full Tin Foil Hat", "Hillary Clinton won. How much time till Nuclear War?", "
Hillary Clinton´s House of Cards falling: Let´s laugh about this mess: Dennis Miller time..."

Just hate thread, after hate thread. The earlier anti Hilary/Donald threads got locked down fast, but these latest conspiracy ones don't seem to be.

This seems like basic programming. You already have an example in the form of the "NSFW" forum where you can make forums invisible, and you already have an example in the form of "Hot Topics" to let people customize what they want showing up. It shouldn't be hard to combine the two and let people control what is on their front page.

First one = trending pro-Hilliary.

Last ones=Anti-Hilliary.

Yep.  When ya don't like what ya hear, SHUT 'ER DOWN!    

I've said it before and I'll say it again, political threads are cancer. The faster they're gotten rid of the better

I believe adding a filter for the hot topics is pretty much all you need. Banning certain topics just because they can become heated seems very overkill. For people who only want to see gaming stuff, then they should have the option to choose those topics to see.

StarOcean said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, political threads are cancer. The faster they're gotten rid of the better

Give them two weeks and they'll probably die down, I'm not looking forward to the morning of the 9th though.

Bandorr said:
Leadified said:

Give them two weeks and they'll probably die down, I'm not looking forward to the morning of the 9th though.

That is a funny thing to be afraid of.. on a VIDEO GAME website.

The 8th and 9th are going to be so bad I'm tempted to not come on those days. Think about that. I'm thinking about avoiding a couple days of coming to a VIDEO GAME website because of politics.

1. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forums.php#content

2. Click on the link above

3. Use the filters

4. Stop crying

And here is another genius idea, don't click on topics you don't want to read.

And guess what, I've been visiting the website a lot more to look at political threads in particular. Some users here are very intelligent and I anticipate their posts and learn from what they have to say. Don't come on, others will.